Aftermarket engines for Hong Kong 1/48 B-17G question

28ZComeback

I love engines and undercarriage, I want to go “all out” on my 1/48 HK B-17. (Thanks to the Swoose posted here I have a lot of inspiration). There are three aftermarket engine sets available for the Hong Kong B-17G—the Aires set, Eduard and Metallic Details. Has anyone reviewed and/or done a side-by-side comparison?  I am an extremely lazy modeler and fit is an issue; one poorly fitting piece and I will shelve a project for a month. That being said, the Metallic folks seem to consistently produce amazing products. Thank you for your input. 

Edited by 28ZComeback

I went for the Eduard etch but used very little of it. Once the cowlings are on, you see very little so I only used the wiring harness. The others look much more detailed but once inside, not sure you'd notice that much different unless you want to display with the cowlings off. Additionally, the fiddly small pieces put me off, I would of lost the will to live with little benefit!

The only addition since this photo was taken was the cylinder shaped thing at the bottom of the engine which I made out of 60th rod I think with a bit of silver solar trim for the placard. You can see it on the second photo

spacer.png

spacer.png

hope that helps? Save your money!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1