Spitfire 123

Hi just thought i'd introduce myself. I'm Riley and i'm from Brisbane, Australia. I've been modelling since about 2016 when I was 10 so i'm still learning lots. I mostly enjoy building 1/48 scale ww2 aircraft, but also a few large scale afvs. At the moment, I am working on a 1/48 mustang by Meng. I hope to get some pics up when finished. Thanks, Riley

• Like 3

G’day Riley ...:post1: from the windy city of Chicago USA, how are things in the land down under ? Its always great to a younger modeler nowadays, it means that the hobby wont die out. I mostly do WW2 and Cold-war aircraft in both 1/72 and 1/48 If I or anyone else can help please feel free to ask we’re all nice here. I just finished a Mustang myself though it was the Airfix in 1/48, Ive yet to try the Meng kit. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, what are your thoughts on the airfix kit? I belive my local hobby store has one in stock and it does look fairly tempting. The meng kit has lovely surface detail and a detailwled interior, but the decals aren't the greatest. Thanks and happy modelling, Riley

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spitfire 123 said:

Thanks Dennis, what are your thoughts on the airfix kit? I belive my local hobby store has one in stock and it does look fairly tempting. The meng kit has lovely surface detail and a detailwled interior, but the decals aren't the greatest. Thanks and happy modelling, Riley

Hello Riley,

Ive been building since 1979 when I was 8 so have covered a bit of ground in that time. Ive built mustangs from 1/2 dozen manufacturers in that time. Airfix both scales, Academy P-51D in 1/72, Arii/Otaki P-51D in 1/48, and the Hasegawa P-51D in 1/48. That (Hasegawa) is the only one Id never build again by the way. Nothing fit on it at all. I’ve also built the Monogram(Revell) in 1/48, both the ancient B/C and the ever slightly newer D. The old Revell P-51D in 1/48, and the Tamiya P-51B/C and D in 1/48. To be totally honest Im not very thrilled with the new Airfix kit in 1/48, though I’ve changed my mind from my review of it in the Ready for inspection thread.

I ran into five big issues with it and now that i know what to look out for, I may be able to avoid the problems I had with mine. I would say build it and look out for the following four issues. First off with the vertical tail fit, it leaves some gaps and doesn't fight on the spine great. Knowing that I would spend time adjusting fit before gluing in. Two when mounting the internal cockpit/radiator assemblyI would add a shim inside to prevent the two bulged exterior pieces near the tail. Three the wing/lower cowling piece doesn't fit great so again I would spend more time getting it aligned. Fourth are the wing gun inserts though don't fit very well at all, this is due to how the landing gear bays assemble. I would grind down the interior pieces to allow for a shallower gear bay so the gun inserts don't need to be packed with filler.
      Last is the canopy, the windscreen doesn't fit squarely on my build. I had to grind and shave a lot off to get a so/so fit. I figured out a solution after my build by studying photo’s and the instructions. I could get a better fit by removing some plastic lugs inside the cowling/cockpit mounting area which would allow a better straighter alignment. And the canopy can only be displayed closed, otherwise it is way too wide to fit on the rails. I fudged mine and glued the heck out of it. The canopy also doesn't sit properly due to the design of the arch support and radio gear getting in the way of its proper angle. Ive included a link to my RFI so you can view it. If you decide to give the kit a try. I can photograph mine and try and explain what the problems are and my theorized solutions for them would be. 

Please let me know if any of this is helpful or not and if you decide to give the Airfix kit a go. 

Dennis

PS- what markings are you using on the Meng kit. You maybe could find them aftermarket for not to much $. Or maybe someone on the Forum has some going extra they arent using or don't want. I have plenty to share but mail is expensive between the USA and Australia.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Thanks Dennis, lovely mustang btw spot on weathering and nice metal finish, looks great in the RAF scheme. It would probably be too much of a hassle to ship the decals so don't bother but thanks for the offer anyway! I might end up airbrushing some of them on or getting some from one of my friends next time we see each other. It's a bit hard to get good aftermarket bits and bobs too because of my location 😒😒 but I do try to buy fairly detailed kits or make my own modifications like seatbelts to avoid having to get aftermarket parts.

Thanks, Riley 

• Like 1

Have you looked into local modeling clubs like the International plastic modeling society. The usually have branches everywhere and are a good source of help, info, material, and parts. Start a thread down in general chat and ask for members in Australia to help with info. They will chine in and I'm sure someone can help with more localized questions. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/37-chat/

Greetings from Western Canada. Always good to have new, younger members here. 

I wish I had had something like this forum when I started building kits in the mid-60's, but out in the country, on our farm, all I had was a partyline telephone, a B&W television with two channels and an old AM radio. I didn't discover model magazines until about 1972.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Spitfire 123 said:

Hello again, iv'e finished the mustang now but I have no idea how to put pictures up. I have downloaded the flickr app and uploaded the photos to it, but I don't know what to do now. Thanks, Riley

As a younger person and the fact you stated you downloaded an app, I'm guessing you're using a cellphone or tablet. 

So, first open Flickr and find the photo you want to post. Tap it, to open it up by itself. Find the right-pointing arrow and tap that. That should give you a copy option. Choose that. Come back to  this forum, type in whatever wording you want. Skip a line, touch the screen and when the option bar appears, tap paste.

That should be about it.

Chris

Oh wow! While I was typing the above message, you figured it out. That photo is a great size for here and that Mustang looks great!

I await further work.

Chris

Gidday Riley, a belated 'Welcome Aboard' from the other side of the country. I use Flikr too, it seems to work for me, although my son had to set it up for me. The P-51 'Angels Playmate' looks good to me.

One query if I may? You call yourself "Spitfire 123", your avatar's a Mozzie, and your first posted build here's a Mustang. A bit of Aussie quirkiness? 😁 I like all three aircraft BTW, although I'm a ship modeler myself. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I guess I probably should have thought my name through a bit better, as the mosquito is my favorite aircraft. Anyway, Iv'e recently bought tamiya's 1/35 Wirbelwind for a berlin 1945 diormama, but the kit only has a scheme for it in france 1945. So does anyone here have any typical green, yellow and red-brown schemes that I could use? I have posted another topic about this in the afvs forum but I haven't heard from anyone there yet.

Thanks, Riley