1/72 AZ Models Breda Ba65-80 Africa 1940

Usually the magneto housing (?) is on top on most radials.

I find it handy to look up what type engine it is, then go look for other aircraft that use the same engine(s). 
In this case, it's also used on S.79s and the Fiat BR.20.

A 14 cylinder precursor was used in the Fiat CR.42 and there's a good shot on Wikimedia :

A_Magyar_Kir%C3%A1lyi_Honv%C3%A9d_L%C3%A

• Like 1

Some progress was made over the weekend. I've attached upper wing surfaces and tailplanes and have sprayed the primer (Vallejo grey). I think sprayed the panel lines with some dark gray vallejo paint and have done the first top coat of Middle Stone

spacer.png

The next task is another light coat of middle stone and a coat of grey underneath while I wait for the pastels to arrive  in the post.

In the past I've sprayed Italian camo blotches in the past (Fiat G50bis)

spacer.png

and I've hand painted a couple of Reggaine fighters.

y4mFsQmcQ5ma_aYWoC2qIZEJf6s7rmrlRwlo3G7U

This time I'll try pastels :) 

• Like 13

This was interesting to read through. I really enjoy watching others build short run kits, as the WIP threads are a treasure trove of tricks and tips on how to handle problem areas. 

I'm surprised this model has had so few. 

Things are looking really nice. And those seatbelts look great!

11 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

This was interesting to read through. I really enjoy watching others build short run kits, as the WIP threads are a treasure trove of tricks and tips on how to handle problem areas. 

I'm surprised this model has had so few. 

Things are looking really nice. And those seatbelts look great!

Thank you. The fit is surprisingly good for all the parts so far. The worst is the cockpit with its complicated shape but it still fits better than many I've done. I'm looking at you AModel Wildcatfish.......

The next challenge will be the camo. The pastels are on order :)

• Like 2

Regarding the colour scheme of these aircraft in Nothern Africa, information seems to be contradictory...

The upper surfaces of the Ba.65  were  originally in a 3-colour scheme. However when the aircraft were sent to the front they received a coat of sand. Which sand, it is not recorded. Some mention how this single coat left the original 3 colours faintly visible. however most pictures seem to show only the overcoat... so much that the paint scheme as it is now on your model may well be a good representation as it is. The colour should be a bit more on the yellow side compared to RAF Mid Stone, but up to you if you want to go through the hassle of searching a different colour

It is however known that a number of aircraft received sparse blotches in probably a dark green, that should be the scheme shown in your kit instructions. This is also proved by pictures, On how best reproduce these, it all depends on each modeller skills.

The undersurfaces are also not clear... originally these were in aluminum paint, however there is evidence that these aircraft when sent to North Africa seem to have had grey undersurfaces and if it were my model I'd use this, The Italian grey of the era was similar to FS 36231

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, Giorgio N said:

Regarding the colour scheme of these aircraft in Nothern Africa, information seems to be contradictory...

The upper surfaces of the Ba.65  were  originally in a 3-colour scheme. However when the aircraft were sent to the front they received a coat of sand. Which sand, it is not recorded. Some mention how this single coat left the original 3 colours faintly visible. however most pictures seem to show only the overcoat... so much that the paint scheme as it is now on your model may well be a good representation as it is. The colour should be a bit more on the yellow side compared to RAF Mid Stone, but up to you if you want to go through the hassle of searching a different colour

It is however known that a number of aircraft received sparse blotches in probably a dark green, that should be the scheme shown in your kit instructions. This is also proved by pictures, On how best reproduce these, it all depends on each modeller skills.

The undersurfaces are also not clear... originally these were in aluminum paint, however there is evidence that these aircraft when sent to North Africa seem to have had grey undersurfaces and if it were my model I'd use this, The Italian grey of the era was similar to FS 36231

Thank you for the advice. I've tried airbrushing direct the dark green colour for the first time after I couldn't get a good blotch with the pastels. I'm pleased with the results so far. I have a few more to do and then the upper parts are done. I will look at your suggestion for FS36231 for the grey colour.

• Like 1

Some more progress over the weekend. I've painted the undersides Vallejo Dark Gull Gray which corresponds to FS36231. I'm pleased with that. The upper camo is done. The cowling wasn't a good fit. The 3 pieces don't go together well and I'm not pleased with the outcome. I might try some more filling and  light sanding to improve it. The line in the picture looks worse than it actually is but this is the worst part of the kit. A one piece cowling would have been much better.

y4mXuRJZ-F5cBI-kB80qK4nISonk2CdJ_tgkQOGw

y4mOT_ketm2vNM0v4QGLcQfzcLPlNPvzLBaLczIg

• Like 12

Some more progress since yesterday on the engine area and the canopy. I'm pleased with the Peewit masking.. It has worked a treat. It kept the paint where it should be and came off easily. I might need a tiny bit of filler around the canopy front edge.

y4mLyHI5JQkQjcrE_jtnivqvXmL_lIgIfYWQoeNY

The wheels are on and it stands on its undercarriage for the first time.

y4m86pp7D0vuLBdYAIzdiOeipI8izI-puHQPngNU

There are a multitude of smaller bits to glue on but first I'll paint the exhausts and then  I'll spray it with some Future in preparation for the decals.

• Like 9

Lots of progress over the last weekend. I sprayed the whole model with Future and did all the decals. They went on with no bother at all.

y4maokgTmKmQhQsRQ6Gdf-V2WPWip7C01Wl_PVOQ

I used the Mig panel liner - Sand to enhance the panel lines. Here is a photo of one side done, the other side untouched.

y4mJPEvQHgeKDU229BNLEr2EQYVxJ3ff4j9k-bwP

The top is done

y4mBQQrZuYhpDxnKoUi80LCGg2rhQ7OWE8GwioVX

Once all the panel lines were done and cleaned, I weathered it a little with some silver paint and Dark Earth pencils from Ammo Mig.

I stuck the last few bits on including the prop and guns. The outer guns are from plastic rod.

y4mubMz7gwoJdX5wq3ypolNibvGflT8g9IIOldD3

Lastly, these extra bits and pieces were painted and I'm calling it done :)

y4m8mCMfxnryBxVKj4Q2dp9yo5aWzjsnz_Zi28tg

• Like 13