1:48 Westland Lysander MkIIIA

Dunny

32 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Cheers Chris - it's damnably fiddly!

Yes I can imagine.  I have the same kit and have cut all the resin parts from the blocks and put back in stash.  I will definitely watch yours with interest to see this progress.  I have the 32nd scale kit too and fancy doing a TT machine  for that one.

Keep up the good work. 

Chris

• Like 1

Nice build!

Before you type: "poor show from Eduard - this could have been easily moulded", check the facts.

The plastic is +/- 20 years old Gavia model (another Czech company), just repacked by Ed + some of their (also old) P/E.

Good luck with your kit! Got one of those in my pile too.

Zig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zigster said:

Nice build!

Before you type: "poor show from Eduard - this could have been easily moulded", check the facts.

The plastic is +/- 20 years old Gavia model (another Czech company), just repacked by Ed + some of their (also old) P/E.

Good luck with your kit! Got one of those in my pile too.

Zig

Very good point Zig - I think it was written in a moment of frustration!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi All,

Some progress. The seat as presented is incorrect for the SD version. Here's the kit assembly of the rear seat:

37.jpg

I dispensed with the kit components (although I might add the belts). Supposedly the SD version had a bench seat which was boxed in to allow stowage of equipment. Here's the basis of the bench seat knocked up from plastic card:

34.jpg

I gave this a couple of coats of Mid-Stone as a 'base' colour for wood:

35.jpg

And here's the finished bench seat following a brushing with thinned Abteilung Shadow Brown oil paint (I also gave all the cockpit parts an oil wash at the same time - who says men can't multi-task 🤩). The full-width black floor is also custom-built for the SD version. This was also made from plywood, but I've assumed that a non-slip coating would have been applied. It has also been muddied up as one would imagine that wiping of feet was not a priority during agent exfiltration!

39.jpg

Next will be assembly of the port cockpit wall - I'll take that section by section to ensure correct location.

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 4

I'm on a roll today! Here's the port cabin wall attached:

40.jpg

And the pilot's seat eased into position following addition of the harness. Not looking too bad!

42.jpg

43.jpg

Here's a harness added to the rear bench seat - again I'm pretty happy with the final result:

44.jpg

Once I realised that I needed to add the decks prior to adding the pilot's seat :banghead::

45.jpg

46.jpg

And finally here's one of the IP and compass prior to positioning:

47.jpg

Next I'll fix that in position and add the instrument wires!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 6

Final update on a good day's progress! Here's the lead wires applied to the back of the IP:

48.jpg

And following a very delicately applied coat of black paint:

49.jpg

Here's the fuselage buttoned up. Despite all the gubbins it went together pretty smoothly (although at one point the IP became a little dislodged 🙀). Soon fixed though :penguin:

50.jpg

Here's a couple of shots showing the front & rear cockpits - lots of detail on display so the work was worthwhile!!

51.jpg

52.jpg

I've still got to apply the PE frame for the gunsight, but I think I'll leave that until I fix the glazing as it is very delicate looking. Next job will be engine & cowling, but that's a job for another day!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

My word Roger that is great progress.  You have motored along there.   The bench seat looks good withe the fine grain showing after the oils but I have to say the front seat looks absolutely stunning  and with everything including the lovely IP in place the cockpit looks suitably  busy.  

Before the wings are attached I think I have read that the struts need to be moved inwards where the join to the wing by a small amount, I am struggling to remember how much by poss 1.5 mm or something to get the correct dihedral.   Have a check of some previous builds to confirm and just to make sure I am not going mad.  I will try and check later after chores required by the domestic authorities!!!

Don't let SWMBO see you multi tasking, otherwise more will be expected from you on a daily basis!!!  

Great update fella

Chris

• Haha 2

Chris,

Thanks mate - a good day today! Good tip on the wing attachment - I'll pay close attention when I get there. I'm also toying with extending the LE slats, but we'll see...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Thanks mate - a good day today! Good tip on the wing attachment - I'll pay close attention when I get there. I'm also toying with extending the LE slats, but we'll see...

Cheers,

Roger

No worries fella.   There's something way way back in the back of my mind about the leading edge slats and flaps being connected.  Although I could be wrong and usually am according to SWMBO!!!

I have dug out my Haynes manual which i have rescued from a bookcase blocked in by stuff (the joys of doing building work on the house)I will take a look as soon as I can and see.  There are some cracking build threads on BM on the type,  one by @CedB and another poss Hendie I think. Ced will know , but the info re the slats will likely be there.

Hope this helps also if there are any places you need photos of I can have a look at the manual and if there scan for you.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

No worries fella.   There's something way way back in the back of my mind about the leading edge slats and flaps being connected.  Although I could be wrong and usually am according to SWMBO!!!

I have dug out my Haynes manual which i have rescued from a bookcase blocked in by stuff (the joys of doing building work on the house)I will take a look as soon as I can and see.  There are some cracking build threads on BM on the type,  one by @CedB and another poss Hendie I think. Ced will know , but the info re the slats will likely be there.

Hope this helps also if there are any places you need photos of I can have a look at the manual and if there scan for you.

Chris

Chris,

You are correct - the inner wing slats were connected to the flaps and they automatically deployed as speed decreased. Photos seem to show slats both deployed and stowed on the ground, so maybe I'll just take the easy option. I've also referenced @hendie @CedB's excellent builds,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

You are correct - the inner wing slats were connected to the flaps and they automatically deployed as speed decreased. Photos seem to show slats both deployed and stowed on the ground, so maybe I'll just take the easy option. I've also referenced @hendie @CedB's excellent builds,

Cheers,

Roger

Crikey,  I got something right  please let SWMBO know for me !!! Excellent which ever way you decide it will be a cracking build.

Chris

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey,  I got something right  please let SWMBO know for me !!! Excellent which ever way you decide it will be a cracking build.

Chris

No Chris don't  !!

If she know that you got it right, You will be obliged to be right everytime...

And moreover, you cut yourself from the possibility of forgetting something...

Great job on the Lizzie Roger !!

It's impressive !! I save it for future use !!

If you don't mind of course !!

Sincerely

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

No Chris don't  !!

Sincerely

CC

Alain,

I am only standing on the shoulders of giants - it is my pleasure if it helps a future build!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

This is a really inspiring build.  I love it, and it's giving me the confidence to start planning my own entry into scratch-building some components.  Thanks very much!

Thanks Jack! I've really enjoyed seeing your leaps forward since you joined the forum. I only did my first scratchbuilding this year, and it really is just patience, research and materials. Good luck and have a crack - we will all watch with interest!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Jack! I've really enjoyed seeing your leaps forward since you joined the forum. I only did my first scratchbuilding this year, and it really is just patience, research and materials. Good luck and have a crack - we will all watch with interest!

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger, that's a very kind thing to say.  I really appreciate it, sir.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

No Chris don't  !!

Sincerely

CC

Good point  well made CC, thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

Wow, good call on the anti-slip for the flooring in the back. I can feel the texture of it just by looking at it! Excellent work so far.

Thanks for the kind words Jeff!

Hi All,

Some little progress. The next order of business was construction of the engine and cowling. The engine consists of 9 separate moulded cylinders mounted onto a central body, with the cowling split 3 ways and mounted onto the front section. I'd given the components a base coat of black prior to assembly:

53.jpg

I left both assemblies to settle down for a healthy period before dry-fitting. On dry fitting I found that the cylinder heads required fettling to allow them to fit inside the cowling. Here's the completed engine following fitting of the PE components, painting and dry-brushing with gunmental:

54.jpg

Here's the two assembled. You can see that I've removed the two circular lugs on the cowling for later replacement with resin components.

55.jpg

On reflection I should have painted the cowling prior to assembly - doh! Will have to mask it now, but not a big deal I s'pose...:banghead:

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 2

Hi All,

Another quick update. I had heard from various sources (including @bigbadbadge - thanks Chris) that the position of the wing strut location holes causes the wings to have a degree of 'droop', rather than the correct dihedral. I was inspecting the wings to comprehend how to correct this when I noted that the holes appear to have been moved on the moulded parts. If you look at the below photos there is a definite witness mark next to each hole (the second photo is probably clearer).

56.jpg

58.jpg

The witness mark appears in the same position on both wings, so I can only conclude that Eduard have chosen to move the pin which creates the hole in the mould? Does anyone have definitive information on this? I think I'll have to investigate before moving the hole unnecessarily. Some more investigation required methinks...

Confused of Adelaide Hills :hmmm:

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Be very careful fitting the struts. The molded holes are indeed incorrect. I found this out after the fact. 

Thanks @dnl42. Was yours the same boxing - I wonder if Eduard corrected at some point?

Cheers,

Roger

I had an older boxing. It had resin bits, but lacked the 2nd PE fret you showed. My error was attaching the struts to the wing early on. I should have left them to the end to adjust on both ends. I did get a good dihedral, but contrived to cause other issues.

27 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I had an older boxing. It had resin bits, but lacked the 2nd PE fret you showed. My error was attaching the struts to the wing early on. I should have left them to the end to adjust on both ends. I did get a good dihedral, but contrived to cause other issues.

Good info - many thanks. I'm in the process of fitting the undercarriage at the moment, so once that's solid I'll have a better idea what's going on. Appreciate the input!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1