Knocked out Stug III G, for possible M10 Diorama.

Longbow

Hi Guys.... Again !! :D

This is the Tamiya Stug III G Early. built as a quick while waiting for call-outs. 

After coming up with ideas for the M10, I came across a couple of photos of a knocked out Stug in Normandy. 
Now, the pix show the vehicle as pretty well destroyed, but I certainly didn’t want to go that far. 

So, a recent recipient of two AP rounds to the casement.  

Here are the pix. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I did’t want it exactly the same, so made a few changes. 
The Tamiya kit is an extremely quick build, and is basically out of the box, with only a few added bits, jerry cans, a few tool clamps, a box and a tarp. 

The MAG cross hatch Zimmerit was quick and dirty. 
Shell hits have piped bolts and hinges. 
Mud is just applied Milliput mixed with liquid cement. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Oh for goodness sake tell me you didn't do that in a day......now your taking the royal wee wee...... it's bad enough that you seem to be able to bang this lot out and do a really good job but now one day builds

That's it i quit......... :bangin:

spose i'll follow along ....might as well ain't got nothin else to do:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice start to an interesting project I'll take a seat at the bar and watch if I may?

Roger

Always Welcome , Roger !! ;)

30 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Oh for goodness sake tell me you didn't do that in a day......now your taking the royal wee wee...... it's bad enough that you seem to be able to bang this lot out and do a really good job but now one day builds

That's it i quit......... :bangin:

spose i'll follow along ....might as well ain't got nothin else to do:D

two days....... And you have LOTS to do !! ;)

28 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

A guess but liquid glue to soften the plastic then scribed

26 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I did think that at first but thought to ask :hmmm:

Almost.....

I used that nylon mosquito net that comes in the Tamiya kits. 
Just glued it down with Tamiya  Extra Thin. 
Soaked it, actually. 
Waited 20 minutes and the ripped the net off. 

Instant thin Zim ;)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Wheres the M10 gone.....don't tell me it's finished already! :whistle:

Lots of opportunities for weathering, burn damage and corrosion

Who needs Atak resin zimmerit!

It’s over in the RFI Thread :D

I thought you’d abandoned us !! 

Gloss varnish is on. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

It’s over in the RFI Thread :D

I thought you’d abandoned us !! 

Jezzzzz RFI already!

Abandoned moi!

My four legged mate, he in the profile pic, has a neurological problem in his spine so his back legs are giving up. Every time I think he's had enough and ready to call it a day he surprises us by getting up himself and having a little wobbly walk around.

The Zimm looks really good, great suggestion. 

What would really set it off would be some indi link tracks, lots of sag and separation...just saying.

You can carefully stretch the Tamiya tracks and glue in place over the return rollers to create the sag on the top.

spacer.png

Or how about putting a break in the track below the shell impact and hang the track down glued into position to hold the shape?

Just a thought,  sure it'll look tremendous whatever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

great build as always... usual question on the tarp, what did you use this time?

Hi, Rob.... This time the tarp was a piece of kitchen paper, folded, and a heavy coat of Vellejo gloss varnish.

I just held it place with one hand, and hit it with a hair dryer with the other :D

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

With paint that now looks superb, the zim really is effective. I might just have to plagiarise that technique for future builds. :thumbsup:

Feel free to use it ;)

The Tamiya Extra Thin is a little too thin, and tends to run/spread, too fast.... If you have Humbrol Poly there, that may work a little better. 

Do a test first, cut your net a little oversized, bigger than the panel you are working on....

Good Luck !!

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Jezzzzz RFI already!

Abandoned moi!

My four legged mate, he in the profile pic, has a neurological problem in his spine so his back legs are giving up. Every time I think he's had enough and ready to call it a day he surprises us by getting up himself and having a little wobbly walk around.

The Zimm looks really good, great suggestion. 

What would really set it off would be some indi link tracks, lots of sag and separation...just saying.

You can carefully stretch the Tamiya tracks and glue in place over the return rollers to create the sag on the top.

Or how about putting a break in the track below the shell impact and hang the track down glued into position to hold the shape?

Just a thought,  sure it'll look tremendous whatever.

Nice little Stug, Darryl !!

Still working on it for now.... Well.... At work actually, but in my head I'm working on it ;)

48 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Seconded!

Roger

Thanks for looking in, Roger !!

• Like 2

Nice little Stug that Longbow.......I must get round to a build I've been planning of a knocked out vehicle......something I haven't ever tried. I have two old 250's in the stockpile I picked up off Ebay partially built. Always wanted to do one of those scenes of the Falaise Pocket. Love what you done so far, looking forward to seeing the final......:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Nice little Stug that Longbow.......I must get round to a build I've been planning of a knocked out vehicle......something I haven't ever tried. I have two old 250's in the stockpile I picked up off Ebay partially built. Always wanted to do one of those scenes of the Falaise Pocket. Love what you done so far, looking forward to seeing the final......:yes:

Simon.

Thank you, Simon !! Hoping to get it complete, today, if I get the chance lol

A Falaise Pocket vehicle sounds awesome. I think they called that, "The Typhoon Summer" as the RAF put the Typhoons to very good use :D

Lee.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Longbow said:

A Falaise Pocket vehicle sounds awesome. I think they called that, "The Typhoon Summer" as the RAF put the Typhoons to very good use :D

Yeah, they brassed up everything that moved including the allies :hmmm: