Sword Seafire III - SW72084

fishplanebeer

Dear All,

Further to my previous post on Merlin Seafires and my intention to build all 3 versions,1B, IIC and III I've just managed to buy the Sword Mk III / SW72084 late boxing which, with all Sword Seafire and Spitfire kits, are like hens teeth these days.

I've read the excellent review of this kit on Hyperscale by Mark Davies (below) which confirms my initial thoughts that the kit is excellent with the only obvious error being the lack of panel lines on the wings showing the wing fold.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/sword72083reviewmd_1.htm

Given the lack of wing fold lines and the plethora of spares also included, as apparently these are from their previous Spitfire V model which Sword still left in for some reason, I'm wondering if the kit could also be built as  Mk II as well?

Would love to hear from anyone who has bought/built this kit who could confirm, along with any build issues that the kit may have, as I'm very much a Seafire virgin and still learning as I go.

Regards

Colin.

Ps. any clues as to where I might find any more of the Sword Seafires for sale as mine was the last and only one left with Kingkit and trawling Google has yielded nothing?

£40+ for 5 kits is a lot when I'm only interested in the 2 merlin kits in the box, but thanks anyway.

I suppose I could sell the other 3 but these are still quite easy to find at the moment, it's the merlin versions that are proving to be very elusive.

Regards

Colin.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly the matter of the wing fold lines: my box of the Seafire III had wings with the fold wing lines well visible. The Seafire IIc box of course should not have these, however a picture I've seen of box Nr. 72084 shows the same wingfold lines as my box (that is 72055).

In any case modifying the III into a IIc is easy enough and the III box should include all the parts required (like the different intake and the clipped wingtips for those aircraft so equipped, plus a selection of wide and narrow gun bulges.