DH Vampire XD599 as she is now - or more evidence of my obvious mental instabilty! :)

Hi All

Another bit of silliness from me! After the mega T2 hangar dio I needed a bit of a break to get my modelling mojo back - we all get that from time to time right? And as I built the Wellingtons without wings it seems I may now have a problem fully completing aeroplanes! I noticed though that one of the unused Wimpey engine firewalls might come in handy...

So Airfix's little Vamp T.11 has now been converted into our Vamp T.11 pod  - XD599 - on display at Sywell Aviation Museum. I modified an old Airfix Stirling bomb trolley from the spares box by shortening it and adding some bracing  - it was missing some wheels but some old Airfix Islander mains saved the day, sawed the cockpit off aft of the pod (where ours has been) and grafted on the Wimpey firewall which was almost a perfect fit! Scratchbuilt some FOD covers. Sprayed with Rustoleum plastic primer, hit it with Humbrol 64 for the grey by brush, masked and painted the anti-glare panel in Matt 33. The A's are from old Royal NAVY spare decals as they were all I had that were close enough and the dayglow bits were cut out of some trim from an old Hobbycraft C-45 decal sheet!  A couple of licks of Klear,  then gave it a wash of Flory models dark dirt - in the photos I forgot to wipe the excess off  - I have now - as she is pretty grubby and the canopy fairing at the back is pretty cracked. I must clean her some day!

Hope it makes you smile on a Monday morning! 

ATB

TT

50367166247_eeea4ca64f_k.jpgvamp1 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

50367007251_5952d2aed7_k.jpgvamp2 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

50367166322_90d38bf79d_k.jpgvamp3 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

'599 as she is now

50367007316_0be4db1b57_b.jpgvamp4 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

• Like 12