Bf109 help please

spursn17

Hi all, I need some help with a Bf109 G4 I'm building (1/48 Eduard). 

It has two rectangles in the centre of the fuselage between the undercarriage legs just in front of where the drop tank mount would be, does anyone know what they are? They are dark coloured in the pic below. 

Screenshot-20200921-095047-com-android-c

It is what they are, but I think that's a goof in the kit/instructions. The chute design changed when the MGs were upgraded, I blieve those big square holes are the later 13mm MG ejection ports. The G-4 has the original 7.7mm MGs and that panel should be flat with no holes. I'm actually not sure where the ejection ports should be on a G-4, but those shown are for G-6 and later only.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

See post #184 from an earlier Group Build chat thread on the 109:

It agrees with what Vlad stated, up to the G-4 no chutes as the spent cartridges from the MG 17 are collected in box within the aircraft.  So you will have to fill in those two holes and sand flush.

Similar response from another forum:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/72634-132-hasegawa-bf-109g-2-question/

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

What boxing of the Eduard kit do you have? I can't find that error (or that camouflage scheme) in the instructions for either their ProfiPack or Weekend Edition G-4.

Also, as pointed out in one of those threads, Eduard supply a part to blank off the holes. However, the putty method is probably neater and more complete anyway.

2 hours ago, JackG said:

up to the G-4 no chutes as the spent cartridges from the MG 17 are collected in box within the aircraft

aha, makes sense

Vlad, that's the one.

I used a different pic as that clearly showed the two rectangular holes, the doubt crept in because the blanking plate didn't fit flush and I questioned that there was a mistake in the kit instructions.

It showed me that after all these years I still have gaps in my knowledge and can learn something new! 😁

Edited by spursn17
  • Like 1