Zero paints filler primer - rough

A_S

Hi all

Just looking for some advice RE zero paints filler primer (grey) and their etch primer. I've tried to use it on 2 models and both times I've ended up with a rough coat, sand like texture - Is this normal and should I have to sand each time?

do other people find this as well or do i need to thin it more?

I'm shooting at between 20-30 PSI on my Iwata exclipse 0.35mm Needle and I find the paint doesn't flow out the airbrush unless I open the apature > 60%. Any less preasure and it doesn't really flow at all. I am aware that the instructions say min 0.5mm recomended but unfortunatly unless I convert my airbrush or buy a new one that isn't an option.

Keen to find out a better way before I let it loose on my main subject body as there is a lot of rivet detail and I don't think its going to be possible to sand around those if the coat turns out rough like in the following photos

You will notice the rough texture and theres a lof of artifacts especially on the 90 degree locating pins on the square part and around the ball join on the suspension arm.

KQ4Kjh1.jpg

You can see the corseness around the edges here and the lumpy surface with a few arifacts

5b1bi1U.jpg

I then tried their etch primer on some metal parts. I had used it briefly on some mesh before, only opening the apature of the airbrush 50% and spraying around 30 PSI and it worked well, I had great control. However today after about 2 minutes i got this effect that I can only describe as Silly string or spiders web type stuff coming out of it and all over my peice.... When I tested the spray pattern this is what it was like....

l7inFDc.jpg

Any advice chaps?

Thanks

Andy

Edited by A_S

Rough coat - your paint is drying before it hits the model surface. Probably because your mix is too thick and you are having to use more air to push it through and have it further away because of that. Thin it down further, lower air pressure and closer to the model.

Second, again, its too thick. Been a while since i used their etch primer, is it the 2 pack or the single pack?

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt reply

Yes its the 2 part. I presume I can thin with Celulose thinners or Tamiya laquer thinner? (read this elsewhere)

In terms of closeness I was about 3-5cm away so thats not the issue I don't think. I'll try and thin, although the primer seems to clog my pipettes so I can't see how much I fill them up second time round... lol!