Ford F150 twin turbo drifter

Hi model builders,

Here we are on another Covid Sunday, which where I live means we sit at home and watch time march by.   Today is Sunday, so I watched the 49ers play and win...next choice...laundry, a socially distanced walk, watch more tv, or post some photos of a project I finished around the first of the year, and, the latter wins.  This build is based on the Hoonigan Truck, which features an aluminum replica of a 1977 Ford Ranger and a twin turbo engine on a tube chassis. 

The build starts with an F150 body and the rest is scratch work and parts from the junk box.   First up a couple of WIP images, to show you what's going on:

24_Top_right.JPG

That rear end was tricky - it has a beefed up Ford 9" diff, that's offset from the centerline of the truck, as it's all wheel drive.  Ultimately the rear module is tied in with the rollbar.  Independent suspension all around.   You can see, the engine is a full on junkbox special!  The turbos...ugh - some resin, styrene, and so on.  In real life, the intake end is very large in diameter, so I found some nice intakes (resin) then wrapped them in styrene to create the large outer housing.  As you can imagine lots of guesswork from pics!

9_Lt_top.JPG

And on to how it turned out:

1_Low_looking_ft.JPG

7_rt_ft1.JPG

1_Low_lt_ft.JPG

5_Lt_rr2.JPG

3_rt_ft9.JPG

The intercooler is in front, while the radiator is in the bed - used model rr parts for the electric fans.

2_Interior.JPG

4_rt_rear3.JPG

And there you have it - The paint scheme is a variation on the original, which has Monster Energy decals etc - I liked it a bit cleaner.  The paints are Vallejo with Alclad Aqua Gloss clear coat.  Lots of bending, carving, twisting, and flexing of styrene along the way!  This was a fun build - 

Cheers and stay well - 

Nick

• Like 12

Hello gents,

Thanks very much - I am not really much of a fan of "drifting" per se.  Funny enough, I learned of this truck via one of my phone's news feeds!  The video was embedded in a random story about the truck.  As I am though, a bit of a truck and racecar nut, it just looked like an interesting project to try.

Anteater - glad you like the chassis.  At one point, I was on a bit of a trophy truck (off-road racing) kick, and they have very distinctive chassis.  So, a guy just kept trying to get a method down for building the chassis.  In short, the trick I found helpful is just like building a real tube chassis, is to cut and file the joints on the styrene rod just like you'd do with tubing (fishmouth joints).  Start with the correct angle(s), then go back in with a rat tail file to match the curve of the joint you are trying to fit into.  Ha - after that long winded sentence it sounds easy - it took me some practice to get it to at least look convincing!  

Jeroen, yes, take a look at those videos - the real truck has some ridiculous horsepower and the driver certainly isn't afraid to use it!  

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Anteater said:

I've scratched a few multipoint roll cages in my time but your spaceframe is another level complexity and it's gone together very cleanly

That's exactly what I was thinking! Really neat fabrication work - and what a beast of a truck!

Great model!

Keith

14 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Jeroen, yes, take a look at those videos - the real truck has some ridiculous horsepower and the driver certainly isn't afraid to use it!  

I've always liked it when Ken Block does his thing (he does it well) in these monster cars. I mean mostly he does the same tricks each time but they sure have a knack for putting camera's in the right places 🙂 ... the way he's slamming through those gears makes it obvious how much power is under the hood. 

Very different and very nice. I like the open bed, and seeing all the detail in there. Very well done!

• 2 weeks later...