B-24 assembly ships

72modeler

I found this while looking for B-24's stored at Kingman, AZ at war's end. Some very well-known and not so well-known assembly ships. Great modeling projects here, but a masking nightmare! Another bunch of likely candidates for @tonyot's case of Minicraft Libs he has squirreled away!

Mike

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/477/Polka-Dot-Warriors.aspx

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I found this while looking for B-24's stored at Kingman, AZ at war's end. Some very well-known and not so well-known assembly ships. Great modeling projects here, but a masking nightmare! Another bunch of likely candidates for @tonyot's case of Minicraft Libs he has squirreled away!

Mike

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/477/Polka-Dot-Warriors.aspx

Auperb article Mike,...... some brilliant schemes,...... but I couldn`t do them justice mate!

Just an FYI, regarding the name of the B-24D assembly ship of the 466th, 41-24109, natural metal with horizontal red zig-zag striping.  A dear, late friend of mine who flew with this outfit says this one was known (within the Group) as 'the rum runner' -- and had no name painted on it.  His own aircraft was "Parson's Chariot" - of which there were two, with similar but different artwork.  He was a life-long modeler (carving several wooden B-24s at the time, painted with specific markings), and made careful contemporary sketches of the artwork of a number of B-24s at Attlebridge.

Sometimes a plane had a name -- just not painted on the side.  My father's PB4Y1 was called "Mrs. Frequently" - but had no name applied (just the letter 'F').

GRM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

a masking nightmare!

An accurate assembly ship model will exhibit overspray around where the stencils and tape would go on each and every polka dot.  

The 1/144 kits offered by Minicraft would be a splendid canvas.

(If you're a real modeller that is, not some kitchen table kit assembler.)  😄

2 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Take a look at my First Sergeant build in the RFI section

I remember that build! Looks just as good as when you posted your RFI! 

11 hours ago, dnl42 said:

There's a book, Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth, that details them. 

I had forgotten about that book! Need to get one, methinks. I'd like to do the one that the actor Jimmy Stewart flew almost all the way to a target and got a royal reaming out for doing so!

Mike

• Like 1