A slightly modified Friedrich - Bf109F-4 Eduard 1/48

andyh59

After my previous efforts with Eduard's 109E's I decided to move onto their 109F's! I've had the Royal Boxing since its release but only now have I decided to build them, a lot easier than the 109E's I'm glad to say.

I've had in my decal collection one of the Aeromaster 'Augsburg Eagle' sheets, this particular sheet featured a Bf109F-4 in an unusual scheme from JG5 which I was attracted to, so decided to model this F-4.

A little research into this machine proved this was an 'Errormaster' scheme on the decal sheet! The aircraft was Yellow 3, but the style 3 on the decal sheet was wrong and was outlined in red -WRONG!! Eventually I only used the personal pilots badge and the rudder kill markings, the yellow 3 I cut from some spare decal sheet I had, the remainder of the markings were from the Eduard decal sheet.

My research also showed that this machine was modified and had an interesting colour scheme. The modifications consisted of cameras in both wings and nose intakes as per 109Gs.

The nose intakes, one per side, were a field modification to allow more airflow  to cool the sparkplugs ( a not unusual fitting on these machines). I used two intakes from, possibly, a Hasegawa kit. These were large enough for me to slightly modify as the intakes used on the 109Fs were a different cross section.

The camera ports in the wings were cut out and lined with Tamiya masking tape which I varnished over to prevent it lifting, why this aircraft was fitted with these cameras I was unable to discover. The actual camera ports were lined around in a light coloured metal or tape according to the photos I found on Asbiz JG5 section, so the tape allowed me to paint them more easily. The fairings under the cameras came from the p.e. in the Eduard kit as they appeared to match the ones in the photos.

Rest of the kit was out of the box, camera glazing was U.V. glue ( a very useful item).

Colour scheme was RLM70/75/78/79, these machines were F-4 Trops. redirected to JG5 in Norway and were delivered in tropical scheme of 78/79, which were then modified with the addition of 70/75.

Yellow 3 was a Bf109F-4 Trop. W.Nr 10073 flown by Rudi Muller, 6./JG.5, Petsamo, Norway 1942:-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Andy

• Like 16

Very well done diorama. Corny as it might sounds, the fuel stains from what appears to be a fuel tank filler cap on the fuselage caught my eye and I'm impressed. Adds to the overall authenticity of the finished model.