Tamiya 1/48 Sherman IC Firefly

StuartH

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Looking better with every update Stuart. I can't offer any advice regarding the track painting as im a track virgin 🙂👍

Cheers Andy 👍 To be honest this is the first time I've depicted the rubber/metal tracks. Usually they are all metal so the finish at least is quite straightforward. Tracks can either be a pain to assemble, paint or attach and just one of the stages to get done in my book.

• Like 1

The tracks look OK to me Stuart. With T48s, I would dry brush the inner surfaces where the road wheels run, with a mid to dark grey. Same on the chevrons and then some light dust.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this one is virtually ready to be signed off now. I'm just waiting for an aerial from RB to arrive and a few other tweaks to make then I'll put some final photos on the RFI section.

I've done a bit more work with the pin wash and filters, added pigments ( Mig light dust & Abteilung 502 light dust), tied the stowage with Griffin Bead Cord (0.45mm) and added the running gear. The tracks were a very tight fit.....not helped by the lack of any spare links in the kit.

Thanks everyone for tagging along, the comments/likes and feedback throughout. 

Cheers

Stuart

IMG_3289

IMG_3284

IMG_3348

IMG_3280

IMG_3275

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Andy J said:

That looks awesome Stuart well done sir 👏 👍 

Thanks very much Andy. Much appreciated and glad you like it.

In terms of weathering this was just a case of pin wash, filters, a tiny bit of streaking and pigments. I dampened the lower hull behind the tracks with thinner so the pigment would stick otherwise on the upper hull it was just brushed on with a very soft brush. 

13 hours ago, vytautas said:

Nice work Stuart looks great 👏

Vytautas

Thanks very much Vytautas. Much appreciated 🙂

I suppose that you could truly say that this one is done and dusted. Good work all round Stuart.

Question; What's this Griffin bead cord? Is it hairless? I use cord that I bought in a shop that dealt exclusively with model ships. It's meant for rigging, but it's hairy.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I suppose that you could truly say that this one is done and dusted. Good work all round Stuart.

Question; What's this Griffin bead cord? Is it hairless? I use cord that I bought in a shop that dealt exclusively with model ships. It's meant for rigging, but it's hairy.

John.

Hi John, many thanks for your comments. Yes, it's basically for stringing pearls and beads so it is non-hairy. Sometimes the cut ends can unravel slightly but I either burn them or use a drop of glue. It comes in either nylon or silk (I much prefer the silk version as seems to unravel less) and in a wide range of diameters and colours. It can easily be found on ebay for a couple of quid. I'm not sure how well acrylic paint would adhere to the silk version but I just dampen it and run some pigment over it if I want to alter the appearance.

IMG_3350

Given the cost of the ARV I was in 2 minds about getting it but really pleased I did now.

Thanks again

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent work on that! Every bit of it, texture, finish. Bravo!

Thank you for your kind words and glad you like the final result.

I'm depicting the tank in an Italian summer hence the dust and I quite like the contrast of the light dust against the green.

Thanks for following throughout and I'll hopefully be doing a Polish IC Hybrid in the future.

11 hours ago, Longbow said:

That's a great looking Firefly, Stuart !! I love the dusty weathering !!

Many thanks Lee. I love dusty weathering too but you should see the state of my workbench!

7 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Impressive work Stuart! Time spent on all of the extra detailing has really paid off. Looking forward to seeing the final photos.

Wayne

Many thanks Wayne. That's very kind and very much appreciated. Hopefully I'll get some better lighting for the final photos.

Cheers 👍

Edited by StuartH
spelling
  • Like 3

This is one fine looking Sherman!

You've put a lot of good work into this kit.

I wold take that barrel cover out, though, to show the nice "front end".

Ready for action, rather than - in transit, or waiting for parade.

Anyway 😍 I like it!

Zig

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zigster said:

This is one fine looking Sherman!

You've put a lot of good work into this kit.

I wold take that barrel cover out, though, to show the nice "front end".

Ready for action, rather than - in transit, or waiting for parade.

Anyway 😍 I like it!

Zig

Thank you! Yes, I know what you mean about the barrel cover but at least it gives me a good reason to make another Firefly!

Cheers

• Like 2