Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 - Von Werra

Mig88

Hello everyone!

Here is my latest kit, an Airfix 1:72 Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 built mostly OOB.
It represents Black "<", W.Nr 1480, flown by Oberleutnant Franz von Werra, Gruppen-Adjutant of II./JG 3, at Samer, France, in August 1940.

After a series of tricky builds in 1:144, this was a pleasant change. There was flash and moulding lines to deal with and several parts needed some sanding/trimming to fit. The worst area, by now well-known, is the wing roots. I only used filler to deal with an ejection pin mark in the cockpit, on the sill behind the seat, and a seam on the top fuselage just in front of the cockpit. The radio mast shattered when I tried to remove it from the sprues so I used one from an old Matchbox Bf 110 cut to shape. One of the underwing mass balances pinged into oblivion so I made a new one from stretched sprue and CA glue. Radio wires were made from stretched sprue.

The kit was fully painted and varnished with brush. There are many interpretations of this scheme and I used one of Eduard's 1:32 kit instructions (downloadable Pdf file) and a build of another kit on internet as a guide, apart from the kit's box colour guide. What I found odd was that Airfix supplies all the stencils and they are numbered but there is no guide as to their placing. I used Eduard's Pdf instructions for that.

Despite everything, this, my first of the "new" Airfix kits, was an enjoyable build.

Thank you for looking and all comments are welcome as always
Miguel

2b55a95bf7d90964621e63c8981f8592.jpg

f795680cc0db0d0767bde6b0eb832c68.jpg

4b9b9fa59fcad03234af84741ba72ff1.jpg

a609a79c7d6dde8a9c658b0b12b2233d.jpg

e00930e5f31dbd0b6c9066879d6896ba.jpg

a74cc45c4060325cd2b23dc070aa5648.jpg

3e4717e6e4427e5e3c0ceb1292b18645.jpg

4bd976917cab14f783b92eaba09fa2a0.jpg

174e64f496076da6a1db4815a1a15f56.jpg

9e9bcaf47222dc2d3ef04ae93b9e12d6.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Very nicely done - good to see.  Thanks for sharing your model.

This is a kit that I built recently in the Battle of Britiain GB,  and there's a few more there.

An interesting feature - commented on in my build, and repeated on yours,   the propellor appears to be fitted backwards.

I'm checking the instructions, to see if this is a flawed kit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello, Miguel -

Welcome from another brush painter! 

You have done an outstanding job on your 109 and brush painting is flawless

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Very nicely done - good to see.  Thanks for sharing your model.

This is a kit that I built recently in the Battle of Britiain GB,  and ther's a few more there.

An interesting feature - commented on in my build, and repeated on yours,   the propellor appears to be fitted backwards.

I'm checking the instructions, to see if this is a flawed kit.

Aaargh! I did it again. Yes it is the wrong way round. A build of an Academy kit many years ago though posted not long ago here had the same flaw pointed out:

I've been checking the instructions and they depict them the right way round but only if you pay attention will you notice it. I believe the part is NOT keyed in any way to go the right way round.

Thanks for the comment and for pointing it out.

1 hour ago, Epeeman said:

Hello, Miguel -

Welcome from another brush painter! 

You have done an outstanding job on your 109 and brush painting is flawless

Regards

Dave

42 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Superb Miguel! 👍 Fantastic brush painted finish. 😁

Thanks a lot!

Miguel

17 hours ago, opus999 said:

Beautiful finish!  That is a great looking build.  The weathering is spot-on and lovely.

14 hours ago, Michael51 said:

It looks great, very fine brush painting,

Michael

Thank you very much!

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

this is an excellent rendition of this particular Bf 109. Brush painting looking good!

I am finishing the same 109 in the Battle of Britain GB, and I should be through with it by the weekend. Brush painted as well.

For such small kits a paint brush is just fine. Not that I own an airbrush!

Congratulations!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2020 at 17:42, IanC said:

Very nice model. The colours look spot on.

Thank you very much. The main colours are from Pollyscale and Vallejo.

On 21/09/2020 at 18:45, jean said:

Hi Miguel,

this is an excellent rendition of this particular Bf 109. Brush painting looking good!

I am finishing the same 109 in the Battle of Britain GB, and I should be through with it by the weekend. Brush painted as well.

For such small kits a paint brush is just fine. Not that I own an airbrush!

Congratulations!

JR

Thank you and I agree. I do have an airbrush and some earlier kits were mostly airbrushed but on a kit this size the speed of airbrushing is contrasted with the time it takes to do all the masking. I moved to a small flat a year ago and for several reasons airbrushing is no longer an option. Anyhow, I do mostly 1:144 scale kits nowadays!

On 21/09/2020 at 22:40, Greg Law said:

Nicely done Miguel.  I see your experience with 1/144 has helped you with this one.

Thanks a lot Greg. actually I used to be mostly a 1:72 modeller but have switched to mostly 1:144 in the past decade and a half!

On 22/09/2020 at 03:42, 72modeler said:

Not only is that the best build I have seen so far of the Airfix kit, it's brushpainted? Are you related to @tonyot by any chance?

Mike

Thank you very much Mike. Yes it is fully brushed since, although I do have an airbrush, I can't use it for various reasons. No, I'm not related to him 😜! Very nicely done Blenheim he has!

Miguel

On 25/09/2020 at 05:04, kapam said:

Looks very cool!

My build of the same kit is stalled, so this is quite inspiring.

You've certainly done a great job on yours.

:clap2::clap2:

Thank you very much and I hope you manage to finish yours 👍!

Miguel