EL-5A Mouse Droid (AKA Bride of Nigel)

EL-5A Mouse Droid

1/12  3D Print

I've recently bought a 3D printer (Elegoo Mars Pro), and have been slowly finding my feet with that and Fusion 360. I wanted something fairly simple as an initial print, and there's very little that's simpler than Nigel. He objected to a digital doppelganger though, so this initial print has become EL-5A who's now betrothed to Nigel in some kind of weird mouse droid arranged marriage.

The print came out fairly well, although there are some things I need to tweak, both with the printing and with the original file. The upper body was done at 0.05mm layer hight, while everything else was done at 0.025mm, and there's a marked difference as you'd expect, so I'll be trying the body again at the higher rez.

The one thing I wasn't sure would come out okay was the top greebles. I didn't know if my design would be beyond the printer's capabilities. As it turned out, they printed fine and are the bits of this model I'm most pleased with. They certainly showed just what the printer is capable of. 

She's not as heavily weathered as Nigel, which seemed only fair, and she's had the white stripes to reference her name and her status as the future bride of Nigel.

50361195006_08f59cbfc3_b.jpg

50360497178_a43fa4f31c_b.jpg

50361194866_5987344abb_b.jpg

Since I'd got the basic file for the body, I also printed up two more without the side panel details, so I could make up the Mouse train that was originaly envisaged for ANH, but never used on screen due to the unpredictability and general uselessness of all Mouse Droids. EL-5A, being an all-round better class of rodent, can handle them easily.

50360497658_5ea8e6b3f1_b.jpg

50361195356_44537a7558_b.jpg

50361361107_ed774111c4_b.jpg

50361195171_d7f6a47d88_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys,

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Do I give up now or soldier on until the end? We're all doomed!

I think the only danger I might pose with a 3D printer is if I accidentally overrun the world with an army of mouse droids, in which case we might all have to run for the hills :frantic:.

14 hours ago, Stephen W said:

I have started to leave hints around the house for Christmas for me, fingers crossed! 

Hope you get one Stephen. You definitely won't regret it.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great job as always on paint Andy, unbelievably good. Regarding the printing of the model equally well done.

Guys, the future of our hobby in the medium or long term is in 3D printing, although I hope that plastic kits will continue to be produced for a few years.

Andrés S.

• Thanks 1