Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD-3 Dauntless "Battle of the Coral Sea"

Built OOB.  I started out fairly strong on this build but petered out near the finish line.  Old decals, dive flaps that don't fit in the closed position, confusing instructions, plus a number of self-induced errors on my part took the wind out of my sails.  But it's finished, for better or worse, and a (somewhat) worthy companion to my GWH Devastator, also in battle of the Coral Sea markings.  As always, thanks for looking and any comments or constructive criticism are welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

wWy4ent.jpg

kv0R5xA.jpg

2SLnKih.jpg

byyCzG3.jpg

Der5jkh.jpg

23GkIAe.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

I started out fairly strong on this build but petered out near the finish line

6 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

self-induced errors

Story of my modelling life! 😜

Your final result is nothing to sneeze at, mate.  Nice work. 👍👍

• Like 1

This really looks great.  I built the AM Dauntless and loved the kit.  The directions seem the vary by boxing for AM kits as I found when I built a pair of their Avengers.  One was great and the other was a giant fold-out that was really hard to follow - thankfully I had both.

5 hours ago, Harold55 said:

This really looks great.  I built the AM Dauntless and loved the kit.  The directions seem the vary by boxing for AM kits as I found when I built a pair of their Avengers.  One was great and the other was a giant fold-out that was really hard to follow - thankfully I had both.

Thanks Harold.  The written instructions were excellent; the diagrams not so much.  They were often quite vague where parts needed to go, especially in regards to the interior, and at least two times I found myself installing a part where I thought it was meant to be only to find out later that it interfered with a subsequent assembly.  I really had to resort to photos on the Internet of the real deal as well as other builds of the kit to figure out placements, and even then it was sometimes difficult for me to figure things out.  What anyone did before the Internet, especially if they had no references on hand, is a mystery to me!

Edited by Mark Joyce
  • Like 1