1/48 A-10 Warthog

This is the A-10 I made for a mate of mine who was in the Royal Marines in Afghanistan, it was his 40th Birthday and he always spoke of the A-10. This is the Hobbyboss kit with the hasegawa USAF ground crew and the AFV Club Have Canopy. The canopy was replaced because I broke the kit part when making it, the canopy however really has a strong purple/blue/yellow tint in the right light, but when looking at it normally it appears clear, it's a very nice addition to the model which was just meant as a.direct replacement thinking I was gonna have to get one from the importer as a replacement but I took this more for speed as I made this in 1 and a half weeks, it was a slog and I worked 11 hours or so at a time to get the result you see. He was meant to be going awwy for his birthday but because of covid it was called off so a 3 week deadline became essentially 1. Anyway the base is a cupboard door from IKEAs bargain corner and the concrete is pollyfilla which is my go to for making a concrete looking base. Anyway I black based the model and gave it a mottled appearance and it's the first time I've done this bit it's going to be how I so it from now on as I really like the effect. Anyway hope you guys like It, he loves it and I'm glad to be rid of it lol.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 54

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That is definitely outstanding! Most impressive!

Haha thanks I don't think I'll be doing that again. The deadline was a motivator to get the kit finished though.

4 hours ago, bar side said:

Did you scratch build the Avenger or is that included with the kit?  I remember seeing on on a stand in the hangar at an 80s Mildenhall show.  Lovely model & the ground crew sets it off nicely

@bar side The avenger cannon is included in the kit and the instructions do tell you to put this inside the fuselage but the kit includes two ends of the barrel so you can build the cannon and place it outside the aircraft, it doesn't tell you to do this but you can I've made the two seater version as well and you can. You can also open the air brakes if you remove the location tabs as there's hinge detail and the engines can be placed open if you can scratchbuild the interior or get a detail set. One thing for anyone making this model you need nose weight as in a good bit of it as this will sit on its tail if you don't. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deano353 said:

@bar side The avenger cannon is included in the kit and the instructions do tell you to put this inside the fuselage but the kit includes two ends of the barrel so you can build the cannon and place it outside the aircraft, it doesn't tell you to do this but you can I've made the two seater version as well and you can. You can also open the air brakes if you remove the location tabs as there's hinge detail and the engines can be placed open if you can scratchbuild the interior or get a detail set. One thing for anyone making this model you need nose weight as in a good bit of it as this will sit on its tail if you don't. 

Bonus with the kit then.  I built an old Revell one a few years back & know about the nose weight.  Car wheel balance weight in mine I think!  Interesting that they include to twin seat parts in the Hobby Boss kit.  I think the gun was on a trolley like this when I saw it.  They could run up the barrel rotation from an electric motor.  It was an impressive sight for teenage me.

74ce6199851887fbe835b42cf228fa27.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Outstanding model! :clap2:

And a wonderful gift. I'm sure the prototype provided some comfort during his service. 

Haha yes he said that they were  common sight and basically said they're a beast which is a pretty good description I'd say.  

17 hours ago, jimmyg352 said:

I'm a bit speechless looking at that. I did a Tamiya A10 which took about 6 months & looked crap. 

Nice one!

To be fair a model like this would usually take a few months for me I just ended up with an unexpected deadline and being his 40th I had to get it done, surprising what you can do under pressure lol also the Tamiya kit is pretty old with raised lines if I'm not mistaken? Uphill battle from the start that one lol this kit was about as good as fit as you'd want there was no real issue with construction.