1/350 Scale USS Yorktown

Papa4ways

Hi Folks,

Has anone built the 1/350 Scale Model of the Essex Class Aircraft Carrier, in particular, the Trumpeter USS Yorktown, I've got a little problem with parts, especially from thr G Sprues, I've got the parts on the Sprues, but, I can't find these parts on the plans, for instance, Part No. G41, it looks like a Gun emplacement, it's on the sprue, but I've searched and searched, but it doesn't appear anywhere on the plans, not even a part on the plans that looks like the part, there's other smaller parts on the G sprue, but I just wonder, has anyone else come across this problem, and what was your way round it?, was it basically, ignoring the parts? or have I got a sheet missing from my plans

Thanks in advance for any help

More than likely that sprue is a generic armoury one used for other kits such as  Trigondagora I would check out any references you can get hold of and see what was fitted for the time period you want to build your model for.

beefy 

• Like 1

Normally on Trumpeter kits there's a sprue layout diagram in the instructions.

Is your G sprue pictured and if so are there any parts shaded out with something along the lines of 'parts not used' on the page?

To build Yorktown in 1944 might only need certain parts from that sprue. But, as Beefy said, check references.

Tom

I built the 1/350 Franklin. And the Sprues tend to be for most of the Essex class carriers. Some you use others you don’t. Each carrier might have slight changes. One I found was a walkway as I used in  PE. There will be slight differences as like most sister ships.

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for all your replies, each and every one is appreciated.

Beefy66, Thank you, I did some checks on other plans I could find, and it looks like you could be right

Modelholic, None of the parts on the sprue plans are shaded out, nor is there any list of parts I wont need, I think its as Beefy said, generic parts and I use what I need

Mariner1972, Thanks for pointing me to your Franklin, and I've noticed a couple of differences between your Franklin and my Yorktown, the differences don't stand out, but they are there,

Thanks again everyone, for all ypour help and advice

Have you found this site? http://www.steelnavy.com/essex_data.htm

Differences between the various Essex class are laid out, at least so far as the 40mm gun tubs are concerned. Other main differences relate to the location of the various radar aerials and numbers of radio aerials down the starboard side of the flight deck.

On 22/09/2020 at 16:22, EwenS said:

Have you found this site? http://www.steelnavy.com/essex_data.htm

Differences between the various Essex class are laid out, at least so far as the 40mm gun tubs are concerned. Other main differences relate to the location of the various radar aerials and numbers of radio aerials down the starboard side of the flight deck.

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much Ewen5, after viewing this website, I've had a good look through it, and, it shows just how wrong my thinking was, as I said before, I thought that all Essex Class Carriers were the same, clearly, they're not, this website shows just how much differences there is

Thankfully, most of my problems are almost resolved, my only remaining problem is, the Gun Positions just under the Island on the Starboard side, on my plans, there is instruction for 3 Gun Positions, but the F10/F22 combination, on my hull, I don't have the third slot towards the stern that allows that Gun Positiuon to be put in place, the other 2 slots for the F11/F22 Gun Positions are there, but not the single one, which made me think, this kit didn't have the 3 Gun Positions under the Island after all, but after viewing what you showed me Ewen5, turns out I will need to drill the position, so Thank You