1/72 SH-3D Sea King model?

Plumbum

Does any one make a proper 1/72 Sikorski SH-3D kit with the correct USN parts for a Sea King

used in the late 60s during the Apollo recoveries? I am thinking the Airfix is a Westland?

Thanks---John

Airfix's Sea Kings (old and new tool) are Westland versions with the engine "bulge" (this *may* be absent on some very early releases).  In this case the lack of raised rivets is an advantage of the new tool kit, as sanding off the bulge is a simple move (though some infill will be needed).

For an excellent rundown on "Old 66" (the Apollo recovery helo) from a modeler's standpoint, check out @Tailspin Turtle's blog on the subject:

Apollo Recovery SH-3D

At the time that article was written the Cyber Hobby kit was considered the best starting point for a 1/72 build (see links in article), but a subsequent blog suggests the new tool Airfix HAR.3 may be even better:

New Airfix Sea King to SH-3D

The aforementioned Fujimi kit is also good, although lacking in some details compared to the newer kits.  Revell Germany's Sea King is also gorgeous, but has raised rivets and the Westland bulge.

• Like 3

Hi John,

The helo pictured appears to be the "H" model.  The sponsons pictured are the long ones used to carry the MAD gear on one side and the smoke markers/flares on the other side.  It is also the correct starting-point fuselage-wise as it is a Sikorsky bird without the engine bulge on the port side that the Wesland birds have.

This is a pretty decent kit with extra room for more details.  I BELIEVE the kit comes with both long and short sponsons.  You might want to check Super Hobbies or some such site to look at the sprues contained in this kit.

Cheers,

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG
Auto-correct errors!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnv said:

Thanks for those sites. I think the Fujimi gives you 2 short and 1 long sponsons? No idea

as to why.---John

Included in the Fujimi kit are 2 short and 2 long sponsons, so you can build a D or H from it.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 11:43 PM, Grizzly said:

Cyder hobby are bring one out with the capsule. 

I think that I have just done a little wee with excitement.....!!!

Scratch building a capsule has been on my to do list for years...!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Folks,

Sorry for joining in late. When people talk about the engine bulge, do you mean the lump on the port side aft of the rotor mast? If so, I believe that was the space for the third generator (AC alternator, to be pedantic!) which was needed for the ASW kit on the pinger versions. The other marks had it as well, even though only two genes were fitted, to save making a different fairing

On 9/30/2020 at 6:53 PM, torqueofthedevil said:

Folks,

Sorry for joining in late. When people talk about the engine bulge, do you mean the lump on the port side aft of the rotor mast? If so, I believe that was the space for the third generator (AC alternator, to be pedantic!) which was needed for the ASW kit on the pinger versions. The other marks had it as well, even though only two genes were fitted, to save making a different fairing

Correct re: the "engine bulge."  Westland-built airframes used the Rolls Royce Gnome, while Sikorsky and derivatives (Mitsubishi, Agusta, and Canada) used the original GE T58 engines.  The external differences can be seen in the respective walkaround sections:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Correct re: the "engine bulge."  Westland-built airframes used the Rolls Royce Gnome, while Sikorsky and derivatives (Mitsubishi, Agusta, and Canada) used the original GE T58 engines.  The external differences can be seen in the respective walkaround sections:

Thank you. NB the bulge is nothing to do with the engines, which are forward of the rotor mast; the American and British engines fitted neatly into the same space, with no external differences visible. 

On 10/3/2020 at 5:14 PM, torqueofthedevil said:

Thank you. NB the bulge is nothing to do with the engines, which are forward of the rotor mast; the American and British engines fitted neatly into the same space, with no external differences visible. 

I believe it covers the APU/electical generator

4 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I believe it covers the APU/electical generator

Yes, as above it creates space for the third generator on the back of the gearbox. No APU on the mighty King though! The Accessory Drive takes care of that

Edited by torqueofthedevil
Missed a word

The "bulge" is for the AC gen, which runs amp heavy systems like sonar pingers, etc, I think the Norwegian Sea Kings still had the 3rd gen, but can't remember what for.

On our new Sikorsky S-76C+ we just got for ambulance work, we have an AC Gen, it ONLY runs windshield heat in normal operations... It's back up power for the other AC Inverter systems if those fail though.

As far as kits go, the new Cyber Hobby kits are supposed to be superb for a short sponson Sikorsky built Sea King. In my personal opinion, for a Westland built sea king, nothing beats the new Airfix kit.

The Fujimi kit is OK but has some raised details that are somewhat ok, but also lack in internal details.

I'd love a cyberhobby Sea King for my stash for sure.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:39 PM, Winnie said:

The "bulge" is for the AC gen, which runs amp heavy systems like sonar pingers, etc, I think the Norwegian Sea Kings still had the 3rd gen, but can't remember what for.

On our new Sikorsky S-76C+ we just got for ambulance work, we have an AC Gen, it ONLY runs windshield heat in normal operations... It's back up power for the other AC Inverter systems if those fail though.

As far as kits go, the new Cyber Hobby kits are supposed to be superb for a short sponson Sikorsky built Sea King. In my personal opinion, for a Westland built sea king, nothing beats the new Airfix kit.

The Fujimi kit is OK but has some raised details that are somewhat ok, but also lack in internal details.

I'd love a cyberhobby Sea King for my stash for sure.

The third Gene (or AC Alternator)! The other two, which every variant had, didn't stick out far enough to need a bulge

On 10/3/2020 at 1:30 AM, CT7567 said:

The Gnome was a licence built derivative of the T58. Not sure what the differences are though.

Trevor

Sorry to chime in. As the Airfix was first issued as an SH-3D and I've recently acquired 2 examples of it does it represent a Sikorsky or Westland as originally tooled? 

Also, what do I need to do to make an SH-3G from either new/old Airfix or Fujimi kits?

1 hour ago, roym said:

Sorry to chime in. As the Airfix was first issued as an SH-3D and I've recently acquired 2 examples of it does it represent a Sikorsky or Westland as originally tooled? 

Also, what do I need to do to make an SH-3G from either new/old Airfix or Fujimi kits?

http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2013/02/us-navy-asw-sh-3-sea-king-variations.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, roym said:

See the walkaround links upthread for comparison photos of the Westland and Sikorsky airframes.  The Westland versions have a bulged area on the port side of the "engine doghouse" below the rotor (note to those who may feel the need for correction that "engine doghouse" is in reference to the entire assembly above the cabin, from intakes back to tail boom; the bulge itself is not an engine part, as such, since it is aft of the actual engines).

As to the best route to a G model, afraid I don't have my variant briefing to hand at the moment but you can definitely build one from the Fujimi kit (my understanding is all boxings include the necessary parts) but you may need aftermarket or kitbashed sponsons or other details to get there from the Airfix kit (old or new tool).

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all. Yes I know its a basic kit but as I have them....

I have a Fujimi kit to do an SH-3H but will also need to add a D and a G to my fleet. And as I said, I have these to hand. I'm covered by a Revell kit for a Westland version, another to be converted to an S.61N and I even have an Airfix canary yellow kit. So its difficult to justify more expense even to myself. 

• 1 year later...