Falklands GB 2022 Chat

• 2 weeks later...

Huge thanks to @mike c for the Matchbox decals, I'm in with this project.

00-Italeri-Chinook.jpg

02-decals.jpg

Chinook Bravo November.

I'd built the Matchbox Chinook previously - destroyed during a house move.  

That one was BN, but only because it was 18 Sqdn - and I flew in an 18 Sqdn Wessex on ATC camp.

I'd realised this was the sole surviving Chinook, but not the full story.

Since then I've seen all the documentaries about this aircraft,  only really taking an interest when Mike Brewer was aboard BN for an episode of Frontline Battle Machines.

This was a casevac mission in Afghanistan, and BN was hit, the pilot Flight Lieutenant Ian Fortune injured - but flew on, subsequently receiving the aircraft's 4th DFC medal. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would like to take part as well, it would seem rude not to really.

Subject will be decided at the last minute!

cheers,

Pappy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Next year - good. 

Timespan - good. 

Lots of Subjects - good. 

All good but will still need a miracle to take part let alone finish something but sign me up anyway please and I’ll make a formal request for said miracle. 

If I may, I’ll post a recent ‘Cold War’ query about Canberra PR.9’s here as I suspect this GB will be filled with all manner of knowledgeable Falklands War modellers. If you are able to contribute, could you please leave your comments in the dedicated thread. 
Cheers, thanks and regards.. Dave 

I think I ought to go in for this GB. I have 1/72 Skyhawk, Mirage(s), a Sea King and Wessex(s), and a 1/48 Mirage, 1/48 Sea King plus a 1/48 Lynx, but need the backdate set for that. Also just remembered a couple of old Aeroclub 1/144 Neptunes! Spoilt for choice really.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Enzo,

I'd like to be included, too, if I may? I was only 12 at the time and we were on holiday in (the then) Yugoslavia when the Task Force was liberating the Islands - all the British nationals staying in the hotel cheered like mad when the news reported the Argentine surrender. We were all so proud of our boys and girls down there. I must dig out my scrap book sometime :) 

I'm picking up the new Airfix Vulcan from my LMS this week: not sure if its even suitable - I know b-all about jets! So there's possibly that, or a Sea Harrier, or who knows what else!

Cheers,

Mark

On 9/19/2020 at 12:14 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

The GB will commence on 2 April 2022.    The end date is 24 July 2022.  The end date has no historical significance.  I just didn't want a GB that would only last for 10 weeks.

Did you mean you DID want it to last for only ten weeks, because that's about ten weeks...

On 01/07/2021 at 01:43, drdjp11 said:

Did you mean you DID want it to last for only ten weeks, because that's about ten weeks...

113 days by my reckoning.  That's sixteen weeks.  Well... so my spreadsheet tells me.  :) 

• Like 1

IMG_20210702_155200658~2

Just so people know, the new tool Vulcan in the first box doesn't have parts for the Black Buck aircraft, but it does have the locating holes to drill to add them. I can only assume Airfix are planning a second box next year for the Falklands War anniversary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Adam Poultney In your opinion, do you think the Skybolt pylons that are included in Airfix’s 1983 kit would fit this new one? I think Airfix would be mad not to have a Falklands boxing on the shelves before May 2022, however having two boxes of the same plastic out within 12 months of it’s first release is not a typical marketing strategy from Airfix. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@Adam Poultney In your opinion, do you think the Skybolt pylons that are included in Airfix’s 1983 kit would fit this new one? I think Airfix would be mad not to have a Falklands boxing on the shelves before May 2022, however having two boxes of the same plastic out within 12 months of it’s first release is not a typical marketing strategy from Airfix. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I have no idea but I have a set lying around I could investigate tomorrow if I can find them. By the way, Black Buck pylons are different to the Skybolt pylons equipped to XH537 and XH538, they only used the same blisters out of convinience. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I think Airfix would be mad not to have a Falklands boxing on the shelves before May 2022, however having two boxes of the same plastic out within 12 months of it’s first release is not a typical marketing strategy from Airfix.

Remember that this was originally made for November 2020, that gives 17 months, almost a year and a half, to the second box. I suspect that the originally planned the second box for the Falklands anniversary, and in their position I would stick with that date despite the delay, especially if overall production of this version is less due to the disruption.

Also, I just remembered where I put those pylons, yes it will fit, with a bit of a gap but that's fixable. The larger problem though is that there are no shrike missiles, the rack for the missiles or the additional ECM pod (although the pod I think could be aquired from kits of other aircraft, don't ask which ones because I have no idea), you'd be able to do XM607 or XM612 with just the ECM pod.

You will of course need to remove the actual blisters themselves as they were only covers for the mounting points, except the coolant blister which should stay. 

Reference photos from XM598 on 02/06/2021.

IMG_20210602_132703231

IMG_20210602_132726524

IMG_20210602_132706688

IMG_20210602_132717983

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

113 days by my reckoning.  That's sixteen weeks.  Well... so my spreadsheet tells me.  :) 

Ugh, you're right - sorry - I skipped a month in my head here - 16 weeks is a pretty decent timeframe.

• 4 weeks later...

I travelled down, and back, on Canberra and have wanted to do a 1:350 scratchbuild of the Great White Whale for a long time, this could be my opportunity.

spacer.png

still on board in Bomb Alley; so it is one subject I could do, although there are lots of other subjects to choose from.

spacer.png

Plus, if @JOCKNEY has signed up for this then I shall have to!

cheers,
Mike

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I could definitely use this as a KUTA build.  I have an AFV Club Scimitar that's well over 20% completed, probably about 80-90% that I really ought to get finished one day.  Obviously because of how much I've done to it, it's ineligible, but I haven't started on the figures yet, so they would be my GB subject - two Blues & Royals crewman, and four Royal Marines, which would all be made from whatever plastic figures I can find in suitable poses, with all the detail Dremeled off and new uniforms sculpted from epoxy putty.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2020 at 8:17 PM, Wez said:

Yes I'm in!

Spent more of my life in the God forsaken place not to. Five flipping tours!

If you've been there, you'll know it as the World's End!

Five, you were a really naughty boy, I thought three tours for an even 12 months down there marked me as a bad'un.

On 20/09/2020 at 12:34, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I have an Airfix 'Falklands Set' of three warships. Would one of them be appropriate? 🤔😁 I'm usually into WW2 vintage builds but I don't think it would hurt me to go a little more modern. I was thinking of raiding the set for the 'Cats and Dogs' GB and/or the 'Birds and Bees' GB but I'm sure one would be suitable here. And Enzo, what's the point of "Having the Power" if you can't throw it about sometimes. 😀 Regards, Jeff.

I hope the contents of the Airfix 1/600 Falklands Warships set is more authentic than the box lid as not one of the ships took part in the Falklands conflict