Falklands GB 2022 Chat

On 9/19/2020 at 8:14 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I just didn't want a GB that would only last for 10 weeks.

I think that would have been interesting. After all, we did the real thing in that time. I can’t see anyone Not entering something in this one. I’ll probably do a Wessex of 72 Sqn. They were booked to go, even having berths allocated, but were then sent (from lovely Benson) to Aldergrove instead to relieve a Navy Wessex unit who, it was thought, were better fitted to deck ops. They stayed in Ireland for a lot longer than ten weeks too!

“They also serve who were initially bitterly disappointed to miss the action, but eventually relieved not to have been on the Atlantic Conveyor as planned.”

Edited by Bertie Psmith
clarification
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Tony, I'll admit that this era of warships is not my forte but I was planning on converting the HMS Devonshire kit to HMS Glamorgan🙂 Regards, Jeff.

A good choice I was on Hms Antrim's Wessex 3 flight and lost some good friends that were on Hms Glamorgan Wessex Flight when the Exocet took out the hanger. Hms Glamorgan is often the forgotten casualty of the conflict.

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 2

I have the Atlantic Models 1:350 HMS Glamorgan kit waiting in the stash.  I bought it specifically in memory of that morning.  My unit had almost taken Mt. Harriet when we saw a tiny bright light appear on our right, somewhere around Stanley.  The light didn't seem to change position for a while then suddenly it shot past to the right and below us heading out to the horizon and we realised it was an Exocet.  Next thing,  we saw a missile fire from the horizon towards the Exocet but it missed and, immediately after that, the sky lit up like daylight as the Exocet hit a ship.  The flash was so bright that we thought the ship had actually blown up.  We carried on our occupation of Mt. Harriet and didn't learn until later that it was the Glamorgan and that she had survived the attack, sadly with casualties though.

Mike

• Sad 7

10 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I have the Atlantic Models 1:350 HMS Glamorgan kit waiting in the stash.  I bought it specifically in memory of that morning.  My unit had almost taken Mt. Harriet when we saw a tiny bright light appear on our right, somewhere around Stanley.  The light didn't seem to change position for a while then suddenly it shot past to the right and below us heading out to the horizon and we realised it was an Exocet.  Next thing,  we saw a missile fire from the horizon towards the Exocet but it missed and, immediately after that, the sky lit up like daylight as the Exocet hit a ship.  The flash was so bright that we thought the ship had actually blown up.  We carried on our occupation of Mt. Harriet and didn't learn until later that it was the Glamorgan and that she had survived the attack, sadly with casualties though.

Mike

Can't put a like for that, but you know what I mean.

Hats off to you fella.

• Like 2

The captain of HMS Glamorgan did the only thing he could - turn so the ship only offered the stern as target; a lot less likely to hit!

He almost succeeded - that's why it got hit through the hangar instead of amidships. If that had happened they would have been blown sky-high.

He did succeed in keeping his ship afloat and sailing under their own power.

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

Gidday, I'm sorry for the friends you lost. Being here in Perth WA we were obviously not involved but I still remember hearing and watching the conflict on the news. And I still have the Marshal Cavendish series of magazines that came out afterwards.

This model won't be particularly spectacular as I don't do PE or aftermarket stuff but I'll try to do my best and to do the ship justice. Please forgive the mistakes I'll no doubt make. And when the time comes for the GB please feel free to make suggestions. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm sorry for the friends you lost. Being here in Perth WA we were obviously not involved but I still remember hearing and watching the conflict on the news. And I still have the Marshal Cavendish series of magazines that came out afterwards.

This model won't be particularly spectacular as I don't do PE or aftermarket stuff but I'll try to do my best and to do the ship justice. Please forgive the mistakes I'll no doubt make. And when the time comes for the GB please feel free to make suggestions. Regards, Jeff.

I would never criticise another’s model and I hope the build brings you pleasure, after all is that not why we take up modelling. I am newbie that has returned to modelling after very many years and it is a pleasure to see the talent you all have to produce such excellent models.

I don’t know if you are aware of this site but it has a lot of pictures and deck plans and links of County Class ships.  There is a great deck plan for Antrim which was almost identical to Glamorgan. Good luck with the build.

https://countyclassdestroyers.co.uk/Antrim.htm

Edited by Tony G
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that there was one Blackburn Buccaneer deployed to The Falklands. (Apparently same airframe you see in desert pink with the pirate flag painted below the cockpit) 

Does anyone know of any 1/48 decal sets or what the Falklands version would have looked like? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, arfa1983 said:

I read somewhere that there was one Blackburn Buccaneer deployed to The Falklands. (Apparently same airframe you see in desert pink with the pirate flag painted below the cockpit) 

Does anyone know of any 1/48 decal sets or what the Falklands version would have looked like? 

Hi,

nearly all desert pink Buccaneers had a pirat's flag painted below the cockpit

https://spruebrothers.com/ksw148140-1-48-kits-world-decals-gulf-war-blackburn-buccaneers-part-1/

https://spruebrothers.com/ksw148148-1-48-kits-world-decals-gulf-war-blackburn-buccaneers-part-2/

I have not heard of a Buccaneer in the Falklands... definitely not on any of the carriers, as they were not capable of operating them (no catapult, no arrestor gear)

but maybe on Ascension Island? or afterwards for some tasks?

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 12:30 PM, exdraken said:

Hi,

nearly all desert pink Buccaneers had a pirat's flag painted below the cockpit

https://spruebrothers.com/ksw148140-1-48-kits-world-decals-gulf-war-blackburn-buccaneers-part-1/

https://spruebrothers.com/ksw148148-1-48-kits-world-decals-gulf-war-blackburn-buccaneers-part-2/

I have not heard of a Buccaneer in the Falklands... definitely not on any of the carriers, as they were not capable of operating them (no catapult, no arrestor gear)

but maybe on Ascension Island? or afterwards for some tasks?

From the Elvington Air Museum Website 

"Buccaneer XX901 had an illustrious service record with the Royal Air Force. In 1983, it took part in the only deployment by Buccaneers to the Falklands."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/07/2021 at 21:29, bootneck said:

I travelled down, and back, on Canberra and have wanted to do a 1:350 scratchbuild of the Great White Whale for a long time, this could be my opportunity.

spacer.png

Plus, if @JOCKNEY has signed up for this then I shall have to!

cheers,
Mike

Thanks Tony

My Gran went down to Oz on the Canberra many moons ago so I can send you a picture of her so you can include her with a sweet sherry on the pool deck 🍹

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, 40 years .... where did that time go?

I'll certainly be in on this one, sorry to be boring but I'll HAVE to do a Harrier. 

Maybe we should coordinate a bit and make sure we cover all the squadrons that were down there?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First of all - huge respect to all you guys here who played their part in Corporate, and condolences for your lost mates.

@MagpieFNQ - I think co-ordinating the SHAR's would be a great idea. It's my intention (if I can find all relevant details)

to build Dave Morgan's FRS1 - the one with the AA damage to the fin. That's my hat in the ring - no usurpers please!

I've signed up for three GB's in '22 and I'm really looking forward to them all............Until April then.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m hoping to do a Kinetic 1/48 GR3 with 2 AMMO Paveway II’s s on the wing, having a look on scale mates there is a Falkland option already in the kit.