Falklands GB 2022 Chat

I think I'm still in from the first page of signups, but finally found something suitable to build in scale.

spacer.png

I'm going to model day one of the invasion, so a pair of LVTP-7 Amtracks arriving into Port Stanley, alongside a small house. I thought I had found a suitable cottage kit for this, but it didn't have the trademark corrugated roof, so I think a scratchbuild will be required. Figures will be kitbashed from whatever I can find in the collection that looks close enough.

• Like 4

Hi Tim,

That's a good choice for this GB and I shall look forward to your build. 

Many of us relate to the Falklands War as starting with the Task Force, which was weeks later; whereas the invasion was just as explosive on that day in April.   Most references and books focus on those latter events; however, if anyone is interested in the events of the actual invasion then I would recommend this book by Mike Norman. 

spacer.png

Mike was the Officer Commanding NP8901, and my boss when J Company, 42 Cdo RM was formed, and he gives an hour by hour lead up and actions during the invasion.

Herewith some views of the LVTP's in Stanley around that time

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 2:18 PM, bootneck said:

Hi Tim,

That's a good choice for this GB and I shall look forward to your build. 

Mike was the Officer Commanding NP8901, and my boss when J Company, 42 Cdo RM was formed, and he gives an hour by hour lead up and actions during the invasion.

Herewith some views of the LVTP's in Stanley around that time

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry, didn't see your message. Thanks for the book recommendation, looks really interesting. Those LVTPs are definitely ugly brutes aren't they.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

"Buccaneer XX901 had an illustrious service record with the Royal Air Force. In 1983, it took part in the only deployment by Buccaneers to the Falklands."

So unfortunately it isn't permitted as the GB rules state only up to end of 1982. :cry:

I don't like missing  a GB but aside from living through the Falklands war I'm not that interested in the hardware from the period. So a question

Would this be applicable? 

1181816-12741-66-pristine.jpg

Or possibly a Tornado in the same scale? 

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I don't like missing  a GB but aside from living through the Falklands war I'm not that interested in the hardware from the period. So a question

Would this be applicable? 

1181816-12741-66-pristine.jpg

Or possibly a Tornado in the same scale? 

Sadly not as only the earlier Harrier GR.3 and Sea Harrier were the ones involved.

27 minutes ago, Col. said:

Sadly not as only the earlier Harrier GR.3 and Sea Harrier were the ones involved.

Ah well not to worry I’ll sit this one out. It’s not as if I don’t have plenty of other builds on the go…

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to starting my 1/72 Sea Harrier but am disappointed that Xtradecal haven't reissued X72073 which covers many of the Harrier/Sea Harrier variations of the time. I wonder why they haven't? The opposition is well covered in X72154.

Justin

With my head in "plane" mode I had thought that the only suitable (or maybe almost suitable) kit I have is the cheapo PM Nesher/Dagger - I say almost suitable because looking at comments here on BM I see it has many accuracy issues and am going off it slightly. However, after starting my research on the Dagger I realised I have a couple of other small kits that are probably eligible - an Airfix Westland Scout at least 6 of which were I believe used during the war, and also their Scimitar light tank which surprised a few people by operating in difficult terrain during the assault. Now all I have to do is find where I put them and see if they are still viable! I take it they are eligible?

Later, I have found them and also pics of them in service. There were 2 troops from B Squadron, the Blues and Royals apparently, each with 2 Scorpions, 2 Scimitars and a Samson recovery vehicle whilst 6 of the Scouts were part of the 3 RM Commando Brigade's Air Squadron and another 3 were from 656 Squadron supporting 5th Infantry Brigade. I am uncertain what colour the Army ones were but it looks like the Marine ones were Green/Black and at least some had a sight for the Nord SS-11 wire guided missile. If anybody has any detailed knowledge of the Scouts in this confict I would be pleased to hear from them.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Please can I put my name forward to join this GB @Enzo Matrix. I have a 1/72 Airfix Harrier G.3 in the stash that's a perfect candidate for this GB.

Kind regard

Kris

Absolutely! :thumbsup:  Good to have you along.

Just open a build thread in the forum and get cracking on Saturday.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Absolutely! :thumbsup:  Good to have you along.

Just open a build thread in the forum and get cracking on Saturday.

Thanks Enzo - much appreciated. I'll get my build thread started on the forum tonight :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Have been doing a bit of research on the 1/72 armour possibilities. I'm calling it fate but I was just able to pick up an ACE Scimitar after looking for months. I also have a Panhard AML-90 for the Argentinians.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Have been doing a bit of research on the 1/72 armour possibilities. I'm calling it fate but I was just able to pick up an ACE Scimitar after looking for months.

Hope it is better than their rather older T-59 kit I tried to build a while back - poorly engineered, terrible fit and white plastic that would not take normal glue !

Pete

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hope it is better than their rather older T-59 kit I tried to build a while back - poorly engineered, terrible fit and white plastic that would not take normal glue !

Pete

Hmmm, I hope so, the kit hasnt actually arrived yet, there is always the Panhard which is a recent ACE boxing. I actually have that Type 59 kit in the stash because I tend to buy anything T-54/55 that I can get my hands on, from what I remember it would likely get a fair number of parts replaced if I ever build it.

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

I actually have that Type 59 kit in the stash because I tend to buy anything T-54/55 that I can get my hands on, from what I remember it would likely get a fair number of parts replaced if I ever build it.

I believe it is a T54/55 clone and the first thing that worried me was when the instructions said one of the wheels/axles at the rear on each side needed cutting off and moving forwards by a small amount which did not impress me! In the end I abandoned it and built a PST T-54 which had far nicer moulding, fitted quite well and was a darned sight easier to build.

DSC04087-crop

If and when you do build the T-59 I wish you luck - maybe mine was just a bad one! Incidentally as you can see I am not very good with that type of track - I gather their Scimitar has etched track which sounds like fun!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I believe it is a T54/55 clone and the first thing that worried me was when the instructions said one of the wheels/axles at the rear on each side needed cutting off and moving forwards by a small amount which did not impress me! In the end I abandoned it and built a PST T-54 which had far nicer moulding, fitted quite well and was a darned sight easier to build.

DSC04087-crop

If and when you do build the T-59 I wish you luck - maybe mine was just a bad one!

Pete

Yeah the type 59 is a Chinese T-54 clone, apparently the only difference is a single weld joint. The PST isnt known to be a great kit either although you made a decent job of it, I've built a Tiran 4 out of it and am fairly happy with it (to be posted once I actually finish painting it). I think the best T-54 in 1/72 is the Ammo kit although I don't think there were any T-54's in the Falklands 😛.

Cheers

Calum