Falklands GB 2022 Chat

16 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Yeah the type 59 is a Chinese T-54 clone, apparently the only difference is a single weld joint. The PST isnt known to be a great kit either although you made a decent job of it, I've built a Tiran 4 out of it and am fairly happy with it (to be posted once I actually finish painting it). I think the best T-54 in 1/72 is the Ammo kit although I don't think there were any T-54's in the Falklands 😛.

Cheers

Calum

Hi Callum,

When I said T54/55 clone I was thinking of the Ace kit - I guess they modified one of their earlier kits but never got round to changing the wheel spacing! I was intending to build mine for the Vietnam GB.

Pete

A question for those with more knowledge or experience of Sea Harriers than me, what colour were the insides of the intakes on the overall EDSG Jets?  Were they over painted, which is what it looks like from photos or were the deeper recesses still white?  I can’t imagine paint being sprayed down the intakes when the undersides were painted over during the voyage south.

AW

On 4/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, Harrier/ViperFan said:

as i'm not the fastest builder and i not done a GB before.

Gidday, I work at the speed of your average continental drift. And for all of us involved there was a first GB. Go for it - you know you want to. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 2:35 PM, Harrier/ViperFan said:

I have a few kits that fit this GB but i am unsure if i sure join in as i'm not the fastest builder and i not done a GB before.

If you don't complete the kit by the end of the GB then its no problem, just keep going later. I have done this on several GBs.

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I work at the speed of your average continental drift. And for all of us involved there was a first GB. Go for it - you know you want to. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

Continuing with the encouragement.

Your build thread will remain open for updates, but the gallery for completions will be locked, at the GB deadline - for the voting process.

As others have said, there was a first GB for everybody on here, and everybody continues at their own pace.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,the missus is bedbound with flu so not wanting to hang around to catch it I had my first post covid visit to my local air museum at the old Sunderland

airport,couple of shots might be of interest.

Their Vulcan is a victim of the weather and they try to keep on top of thing's but she is a Falkland's veteran.

20220409_121639

The Pucara is a big old beast up close.

20220409_124714

20220409_124616

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Enzo,

I'm still undecided as to which subject to enter for this GB; there are so many choices.  I did plan to scratchbuild either the Atlantic Conveyor or the Canberra to 1:350 scale; however, a reality check ensured that I accept I couldn't complete either one within the GB timescale.  Knowing my limitations, mostly around age and shaky hands nowadays, I thought that I might enter just one of the following:

Commandeered Land Rovers, from the FI Defence Force and Naval Party 8901.

spacer.png

Royal Marines Sno-trac that was landed a few days after the recapture of the islands.

spacer.png

A commandeered civilian Land Rover during the occupation.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As the Airfix Harrier GR.3 is going OK I thought I might start a Sea Harrier from the stash. What better opportunity?

y4mraFqmsO7nYbYJAROBMRVIdjmCE0KQOT9YoSyn

The box art says it dropped 1000LB bombs.

Looking hopefully in the box - no bombs, unless they're these things, which I somehow doubt... (Sea Eagles?)

y4mN9XoZHxcyCsLe_7TUVFu_5QnO72dDeTeufoT-

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the correct 1/72 1000LB bombs?

Edit;

Having found the excellent post by Nick Greenall @NG899 I believe the 1000LB would have probably been a 1000LB freefall 114 tail-947 tail fuze.

Many thanks

P.S. Have read up about Airfix Sea Harriers... :unsure: A few accuracy issues... :huh:

ESCI or Italeri would be better, if I can find one. We'll see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit remiss of me I suppose but is it too late to join?

I hadn't realised that this GB was running when I started  to scratchbuild HMS HECLA in 1/350 with extensive use of 3D printing about 4 weeks ago.  It's still well under 25% complete based on the fact that there are very few pieces actually connected together apart from the two hull halves though I have got most of them designed in CAD, printed and started to get them all painted ready for assembly..

I started a build log here:

I won't go into full details here but in short, I joined HECLA in Gibraltar on 17 April 1982 as a baby Midshipman straight out of Dartmouth and 2 days later was heading south.  I think that's what they call a baptism of fire!

I was hoping to get her ready for a Falkland's Anniversary model show in 4 weeks time but I can't see that happening somehow.  Anyway, if its not too late and you don't think there's too much done already then delighted to join in

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi there, a question for the GB rules keepers.  I put my WIP in the general aircraft WIP section instead of in the GB though it was built specifically for the 40th anniversary.  Can I still put the finished model in the gallery thread?  

Cheers.

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

Hi there, a question for the GB rules keepers.  I put my WIP in the general aircraft WIP section instead of in the GB though it was built specifically for the 40th anniversary.  Can I still put the finished model in the gallery thread?  

Cheers.

Hi Mark,

if you send me a link to your build thread, I can move it into the Groupbuild forum.

Hello everyone.  I notice that there are a number of builds on the cusp of completion but which may not necessarily meet the Sunday deadline.  How would the GB Massive feel about a 14 day extension?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

How would the GB Massive feel about a 14 day extension?

14 days would be great Enzo. Possibly even enough to finish my second build if I knuckle down.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, despite the two week extension I'm not going to make the deadline.

It would be wrong to rush the model just to beat the deadline.   The forum will stay open and, once the poll is open, to will the Gallery so you can still display it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1