SAM change of editor

Jon Bryon

16 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

No worries Chris- at leats you know its suitably quarantined now! :)

I hope you enjoy the issue.
Cheers and thanks for telling us too.

Jonners

Thanks Jon

Yes definitely is I always enjoy them fella.

Chris

On 10/7/2020 at 9:20 PM, Random Username said:

I’ve been told there was an issue at the printers and should be with me next week.  Must say I’ve had a lot of problems with delivery 

Hi again,  I haven't heard back from you about this yet. Have you received your copy?  
We'v had no problems from the printers/ distributors, so it would be good to know who told you that. 
They all went out at least 3, now nearly 4 weeks ago. If you prefer- please PM me with your details and we can double check to ensure there have been no slip ups.

cheers

Jonners

6 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

We'v had no problems from the printers/ distributors, so it would be good to know who told you that. 

Suspect the usual confusion between similarly named but completely different magazines from a different publisher.

SAM arrived as usual but SAMI and its stablemate have not , newsagent looked into it and was told they were delayed until the 9th. but still no sign.

13 hours ago, Des said:

Suspect the usual confusion between similarly named but completely different magazines from a different publisher.

SAM arrived as usual but SAMI and its stablemate have not , newsagent looked into it and was told they were delayed until the 9th. but still no sign.

I e-mailed the SAMI publisher yesterday, and Mark said that their printers had broken down but that I should get my copy this week. I had not seen the October 2020 SAMI in WH Smith in Gloucester or Cheltenham as of Monday this week, so I suspect you are right about that. As long as it arrives, I am happy.

Ray

I ordered my copies of MA & SAMI direct from the publishers on 02/10/2020 and got emails to confirm dispatch. As of yesterday I had still not received them. On contacting them, their comment to me was that they had sold out and had to print more, and that my copies should now be on their way!

Nothing about this on their website nor on their facebook page to advise customers of any delays in their orders. Turns out the dispatch confirmation was an automatic response... If it's not gone out do not send out a dispatched email until it has actually left the premises! 

(16-10-2020 - Magazine arrived in the post about 2 hours after posting this - been a little busy with packing and travelling to Devon since posting!)

Edited by treker_ed
Update to post

Hi guys, that would sound to be likely explanation- ie the mistaking of SAM for SAMI.
Just to stress that SAM - Scale Aircraft Modelling - has no connection with SAMI, but that doesn't stop me from hoping your missing SAMIs turn up so you can all have something else to peruse while in the "littlest room" :)

Don't forget - if you want to write for us, then just drop me a line. We are always on the lookout for new victims writers, and have plenty of advice and help to get you started too.
If I can do it, then you can.

Right, I'm off to fiddle with me F-15 ;)  Have a great modelling weekend!

Jonners

• Like 4

On 9/28/2020 at 1:39 PM, AMB said:

I got told off in my local WH Smiths for browsing the mags and was told 'due to Covid to only pick up mags I intended to buy'! I don't buy ANY mag without previewing the content first, so I will go elsewhere to browse before I buy!

If you go on the SAM site (http://www.scaleaircraftmodelling.co.uk/index.php?ORGN=32&START=1) you get a quick page by page run through the latest edition of the magazine at the bottom of the page. A really useful feature for those of us who have to pick and choose which magazines we buy each month.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 3:59 PM, detail is everything said:

If you go on the SAM site (http://www.scaleaircraftmodelling.co.uk/index.php?ORGN=32&START=1) you get a quick page by page run through the latest edition of the magazine at the bottom of the page. A really useful feature for those of us who have to pick and choose which magazines we buy each month.

Thanks, 'detail is everything' - most useful. What a good idea!  Just enough info to tempt...

John B

This is an interesting thread.

I haven’t seen the October MA and SAMI in the local Smiths, so I ordered them both from the publisher. I must have had the last couple before they ran out!

interesting to see now when the November issue arrives anywhere...

On 10/21/2020 at 11:30 AM, ptmvarsityfan said:

October SAMI in my local WHS today, a little bit late! Also Model Aircraft Monthly.

20 hours ago, Whofan said:

interesting to see now when the November issue arrives anywhere...

Picked up my October issues at my local newsagent this morning and they have been informed by their distributor that the November issues are expected on 29th. October.

As it seems to have been a printing problem with the October issues then the preparation of the November issues would have been going ahead as normal although I suppose that once printed it might be an option to temporarily warehouse it to maximise shelf time for the belated October magazines although that would depend on the distributor changing the recall date which with my own newsagent tends to be a couple of days before the next issue so that returns can be cancelled from his account before the new issues are charged.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Des said:

informed by their distributor that the November issues are expected on 29th. October.

Des, 

thanks for this. 

Something I didn’t mention before is over the last few months my local Tesco has been selling SAMI, along with AMW. 

Went into Tesco this morning to see the October issue on the shelf!

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Bought my November issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling at the newsagent today and see that Gary Hatcher is once again the editor of the magazine.

Gary has been back as editor of Scale Aircraft Modelling published by Guideline since late summer.

10 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Yes - nice to see Mike McEvoy writing again. I always enjoyed his Tail Pieces back in "the old days".

From what issue does this start ? Used to enjoy his ramblings from years ago.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:17 AM, Des said:

Gary has been back as editor of Scale Aircraft Modelling published by Guideline since late summer.

My opinion is that Gary has been, and is the best editor of Scale Aircraft Modelling

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Always loved Mikes ramblings! SAM was the first proper modelling magazine I purchased back in the early 80s so I have a sense of loyalty to it. However, I do think the quality of some of the builds have decreased recently....

Hi  FF, I'm always keen to find out in what way you think some of the builds have decreased quality wise. If you'd prefer to PM me thats fine, and please do be honest. The best feedback is the stuff we can act on to make the magazine even better.

Cheers

Jonners

Assistant Editor
SAM