SAM change of editor

Jon Bryon

The latest issue of SAM popped through my letterbox this morning. In the editorial, Chris Meddings announces it's his last issue and is moving on. There's no mention of who's going to take the reins.

A shame, I think, as I liked what Chris was doing (although I was a Gary Hatcher fan as well). Anyone heard who might be his replacement?

Jon

• Like 1

Just to make life easier for you all :) Here's the press release:

"Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine will undergo a change of editor from our November issue. Readers cannot fail to have noticed the quality and expertise that Chris Meddings has brought to the title, but Chris has decided to look for new projects elsewhere and we wish him all the best in his future endeavours. Managing Director of Guideline Publications Alan Corkhill would like to thank Chris for his dedication and commitment to the company while editing SAM, and we hope to see some features from him in our future publications. 
In the meantime the incoming editorial team, including Gary Hatcher, Colin 'Flying' Pickett, Neil Robinson, Jon Tabinor, Jan Polc, plus all the regular contributors look forward to working with Guideline's Editor-in-Chief, David Grummitt, to continue the high standards set under Chris's stewardship. SAM will also extend its historical and reference content, that made Alan Hall's original concept so successful and which has made SAM both unique and essential reading for aircraft modellers for over forty years. We look forward to presenting a mix of reference material, high-quality modelling features and news that will continue to make Scale Aircraft Modelling number one in the marketplace. For more information please contact Tom Foxon Sales & Marketing Director [email protected] "

We are more than happy to receive articles, ideas and comments. But before you sharpen your quills and tell us it's all gone Starfix shaped, please give us a month or three to settle into place! :)

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

SAM will also extend its historical and reference content, that made Alan Hall's original concept so successful and which has made SAM both unique and essential reading for aircraft modellers for over forty years.

That sounds promising Jonners, we're behind enough out here that I've only seen a few of the mags that Chris edited but I certainly had no probs with them. That vision for the future sounds like a good basis to go forward on though.

Steve.

• Like 3

HHHHmmmm

I'll have a look at the November edition in the 'High Street Library' and if it - and the December edition -  look goods I *might* start a new Subscription.   The 'incoming editorial team' is strong, a very good sign. 

I wish them (the new team) and SAM the very best of luck.

Jonny

7 hours ago, Jonny said:

HHHHmmmm

I'll have a look at the November edition in the 'High Street Library' and if it - and the December edition -  look goods I *might* start a new Subscription.   The 'incoming editorial team' is strong, a very good sign. 

Jonny

Please do! But also - tell us what you do and don't like.  We can't promise to cater for all tastes all the time but we are always happy to listen!

Cheers,
Jonners

• Like 6

@Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Personally I am considering a subscription to SAM around Christmas (trying to persuade the better half as a Christmas present....)

For myself, I like the "step-by-step" approach that some of the articles take to a kit build, as opposed to a "this is the completed kit" and "these are the painting steps I did " approach that some other magazines are now taking. It helps to identify any problems in a build, and what (if any) steps taken to help rectify those issues. This is what I like about AMW (which is why I've been a subscriber for about 8 years), and now seems to be the direction that SAM is going in.

I do also enjoy reading the Aircraft in profile, and the Colour Conundrum. These do help give an historical perspective, and have been some really interesting reads (especially the Colour Conundrums...).

Well that's my tuppence worth.

Regards

John B 

• Like 2

Good luck to the new team, I'm sure the high standards set will continue under the new stewardship.

To me it seems like it would be a thankless task being a contributor or editor of a modelling magazine as it's impossible to please everyone all the time and in the modern age of social media it seems that armchair critics are everywhere. I guess a thick skin and a sense of humour must be a prerequisite for anyone in those positions, never mind the modelling skills required.

Duncan B

• Like 7

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:54 AM, treker_ed said:

I do also enjoy reading the Aircraft in profile, and the Colour Conundrum. These do help give an historical perspective, and have been some really interesting reads (especially the Colour Conundrums...).

The Colour Conundrum series are my favorite articles as well. As were the Ian Huntley Column back in the old days.

Nils

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 8:15 AM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Please do! But also - tell us what you do and don't like.  We can't promise to cater for all tastes all the time but we are always happy to listen!

Cheers,
Jonners

I really enjoyed your article on the Kittyhawk Fury. Good use of easy to obtain materials, step by step advice and instructions and not lots of pictures of pots of paint. That is, to me at least, a good template for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

I really enjoyed your article on the Kittyhawk Fury. Good use of easy to obtain materials, step by step advice and instructions and not lots of pictures of pots of paint. That is, to me at least, a good template for the future.

Thank you! It's great to have praise and I enjoyed that build too.  It's probably a good idea to email the editor with things you like as it does help us set the tone, and it stops me reporting back that 'they like my models" too!!

Many thanks

Jonners

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the record 'the Editor' does read this too - in between half-finishing model aeroplanes and pursuing the kind of obscure ugly trains that no self-respecting enthusiast has paid attention to in the 40 years since they were built. The editorial team would be very happy to hear from anyone with any ideas, suggestions, recommendations or pet hates. As previously noted we can't please everyone all the time, and we almost certainly won't try, but moving forward our aim is to broaden the magazine's current perspective while retaining the high standard of presentation that Chris has overseen.

I'm currently entertaining all manner of submissions from writers and modellers but looking especially for modelling articles covering conversions, scratchbuilds, illustrating research, or that have a historical tie-in. Of course quality  out of the box builds are always welcome but I'd like to present a more varied content. SAM for me was always the magazine that offered ideas - I remember building six very inaccurate Sea Hurricanes following a piece on Operation Pedestal when Neil Robinson was Editor. That kind of 'look what you can do' feature I find motivates me more than any other.

As Jonners said - give us a couple of issues and then let us know what you think...

GH

• Like 11

You know up to a few years back the highlight of the month for me was buying SAM (and a couple of other modelling mags) time to start again I think

nothing beats thumbing through a book or magazine despite all that the internet has to offer.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, Jon Bryon said:

A shame, I think,

..that was my first reaction too Jon.  Of course Gary has published a few bits and pieces of mine so I'm a fan too. Although the typeface got a bit small in his last few issues! ...and although I don't build much armour, the same team's MMI (Military Modelcraft International) is a superb mag, one of the best out there....long may it continue!

This months issue has definitely made my mind up with regards a subscription (provided they keep the step by step builds they are doing now).

@Jon Kunac-Tabinor I really liked your build of the VLR Mustang from Eduard - I have the same kit in the stash. Picked one up from Hannants by the RAF Museum back in July. They had just received their delivery from Lowestoft, and had not been put away yet! Grabbed one to go with my order! (and also my Chattanooga Choo Choo edition, and now my Royal Class edition... and my 4 or 5 Airfix Mustangs as well  Okay I confess, I have  mustang problem!) 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 9:04 PM, treker_ed said:

This months issue has definitely made my mind up with regards a subscription (provided they keep the step by step builds they are doing now).

@Jon Kunac-Tabinor I really liked your build of the VLR Mustang from Eduard - I have the same kit in the stash. Picked one up from Hannants by the RAF Museum back in July. They had just received their delivery from Lowestoft, and had not been put away yet! Grabbed one to go with my order! (and also my Chattanooga Choo Choo edition, and now my Royal Class edition... and my 4 or 5 Airfix Mustangs as well  Okay I confess, I have  mustang problem!) 

I don't think a lot of Mustangs constitutes a problem!  It shows a person of taste and style :)

Glad you liked the article, the Eduard kit is lovely but not plain sailing, although it does give the modeller a really top class looking P-51.  P-51s are second only to Spits in my collection, although I do lack Allison engined ones, something I intend to rectify.

cheers!

Jonners

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, Jonny said:

HHHHmmmm

Jonny

I got told off in my local WH Smiths for browsing the mags and was told 'due to Covid to only pick up mags I intended to buy'! I don't buy ANY mag without previewing the content first, so I will go elsewhere to browse before I buy!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Please Can I  ask when the latest issue is being posted as I see it is shown on the website but not yet received my copy. 

Thanks 

Chris

Hi Chris, can I ask which issue it is you are waiting for?  The October one - with the Eduard Spit 1 on the cover?

18 hours ago, Random Username said:

I’ve been told there was an issue at the printers and should be with me next week.  Must say I’ve had a lot of problems with delivery 

Hi Ranners, can I ask where you are located in the UK please?

Cheers

Jonners

• Thanks 1

Hi John 

I have made an error sorry I do  have it, I am ever so sorry,  I leave everything I get at the moment in a quarantine pile and it has built up a bit and I missed it!!! Doh I feel like a right wally sorry.   Thank you for getting back to me though.

A suitably 😳 embarrassed Chris 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi John 

I have made an error sorry I do  have it, I am ever so sorry,  I leave everything I get at the moment in a quarantine pile and it has built up a bit and I missed it!!! Doh I feel like a right wally sorry.   Thank you for getting back to me though.

A suitably 😳 embarrassed Chris 

No worries Chris- at leats you know its suitably quarantined now! :)

I hope you enjoy the issue.
Cheers and thanks for telling us too.

Jonners