Farewell HMS Hermes.....

Whitewolf

• 1 month later...

It would appear efforts to save her have been in vain and dismantling has started? Approx 5% of the ship is now gone including the ski jump according to an online report. The court case went in favour of those trying to save her, so have no idea whats been going on?

• Sad 1

Always a pity to see a significant warship scrapped.

It is good that Belfast has been saved, but only if it had been one of our Battleships instead?

I can remember my dad taking me and my brother when we were small lads to Portsmouth on a Navy Day way back and going onto HMS Vanguard.

The mystery here is that a court case went in favour of those wishing to preserve her, and since that day nothing more has been heard. I gather the presentation people had still not obtained a certificate they needed for change of use, and failed to pay an upfront deposit to the scrap merchant?

Very nice to preserve but who is going to pay.

An enormous amount of money will be required she is a big big ship.

Non of the amounts collected from visitors to look over her will do that.

Plus to make it look somewhat authentic where do the Harriers come from.

Laurie

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

She's beached now and they've started breaking her up, so sadly, its game over.

Perhaps sad.

But there are plently of memories on film both going down to the Falklands & in the Falklands.

Best of all when she came into Portsmouth Harbour all rust streaked. The crew lining the ship's rail & the Harriers standing proud on the deck.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone heard any news on Hermes, last I heard she had been partially dismantled before work was halted due to a court battle for her.

Edited by Viper78

38 minutes ago, Viper78 said:

Has anyone heard any news on Hermes, last I heard she had been partially dismantled before work was halted due to a court battle for her.

No.

Edited by LaurieS