1/24 Airfix Hurricane

That's as good a rendition of that kit as I've ever seen. The cockpit is  magnificent. 

Not sure why you've turned against Airfix because I'd love to see what you could do with their Typhoon or Hellcat.

6 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

What a beauty, that’s a superb looking war worn model, great cockpit detail, l love it! Why has Airfix turned you off them?

Thank you for your comments

The thing that has put me off of them is (probably down to my stubbornness and the principle)  I think their customer service is appalling.  I have contacted them on a number of occasions quite recently, the first for this Hurricane.  I emailed them to see if they had the tires as spares as mine were not brilliant. The reply I received was 'we hold thousands of spare parts but not for these', that was it, not even Hi Simon thanks for your inquiry or our apologies for this. Similar thing when I inquired about the 1/12 Bentley spares.  I then heard they were re-releasing this kit so I asked them if it was new molding, answer 'no old ones'.  Then I saw they were re-releasing the Messerschmitt 109E BoB, asked the same question and got a similar reply.

Sorry about it being a bit long winded.  Im looking at 1/24 WWI biplane or 1/24 Trumpeter or something at the moment

Thanks again

Si

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ForestFan said:

That's very nice! Look forward to your next build when you return to wingy things!

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the Hurricane! Are you sure you didn't slip into the IWM for some of the photographs?

Regards,

Jason

😂😂 Thank you 

• Like 1

I think you are being unfair to Airfix.

They like the rest of the world will be under pressure.

They at least respond to your queries, not everyone does.

And their latest stuff (that I have bought - not in your super large scales I admit) is top notch when it comes to value for money v accuracy.  The praise for the Typhoon and Hellcat has been high - and they are in your preferred large scale.

But each to his own and your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else.

And lastly.  I wish I could build models as well as you do.  The Hurricane, it's magnificent

• Like 5

Excellent work Simon 👍

Your Hurricane looks very realistic. Arguably this is Airfix's finest old tool 1/24 scale kit. I built the Spitfire Vb in 1/24 a few years back and it was an enjoyable build but not without it challenges. I am sure you would make a good job of it going by how well your Hurricane turned out. 

Thanks for sharing

Cheers Greg

Beautiful work Simon and an incredible high standard for your return to the hobby. I've got two of these in my stash to build - and it is also my all time favourite aircraft. 

I think you've got the very best possible out of this old kit.

:yes:

I can't remember when I last saw a finished Airfix 1:24th Hurricane that doesn't look like an assembled model kit, but has the convincing air of a real machine.

Impressive modelling!

Apropos Airfix support, last March (?) I bought their new dH Moth 1:48th kit. Unfortunately, two of the props were shot short. I emailed sales support, enclosing a photo of the misformed items.

I got a nice message back, asking for the exact production number of the kit and also apologising in advance for the fact that due to Covid-19, replacements might be rather slow to appear.

A couple of weeks ago, when I had almost forgotten the issue, I received a neat little box with two perfect little props wrapped in bubble plastic!

'Nuf said about my experience of Airfix support. 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Thank you for your comments

The thing that has put me off of them is (probably down to my stubbornness and the principle)  I think their customer service is appalling.  I have contacted them on a number of occasions quite recently, the first for this Hurricane.  I emailed them to see if they had the tires as spares as mine were not brilliant. 

Use the Britmodeller resources in that case. I've supplied decals to Britmodellers. I'm pretty sure if I needed something, somebody here will provide it if they have it. That is what we're here for.

In my experience this is the most  supportive forum I've ever  contributed to.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for all your kind comments folks, much appreciated. 👍

Wooooowh sorry if this is long winded again

Firstly I would like to apologise if Im not replying to some of you (again still new to the site). I seem to get notifications on the bell icon but when I click on it it takes me to my original post but there is nothing there, seems a bit hit and miss.  The last one I have seen is from Joachim, thank you Joachim for your kind comments and your experience with Airfix.  There have been a few prior to that that I cannot see, just dont want folks to think Im ignoring them.  Not being that tech savvy anymore its probably something Im doing horribly wrong. Ive contacted support to see where Im going wrong

Ive thought long and hard about this, well hard as its not been very long and taking onboard what you folks have said and your kind comments, like FlatFlyHalf (hope thats OK as Im used to first names🤨).  Ive made a decision😱

With my favourite supplier I have in the cart an Airfix 1/24 Hellcat F6F-5 and about four update sets, one item is out of stock but will hopefully hear from them on Monday with an ETA and the button is pressed.  Quite a few other bits with other suppliers but will wait until I get confirmation on the others until I order.

Have a 1/72 CMK A4/V2 near completion and the rest is on hold.

Thanks again for this folks, getting really excited now. My even do a work in progress 😱

Si

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, noelh said:

Use the Britmodeller resources in that case. I've supplied decals to Britmodellers. I'm pretty sure if I needed something, somebody here will provide it if they have it. That is what we're here for.

In my experience this is the most  supportive forum I've ever  contributed to.

Thanks Noelh

Im with you on the most supportive forum and once I get my head around it all I will contribute much more. Really impressed. Im with another forum and most of the folk are lovely, however some of the........well probably best not to go there😱😂

• Like 1