WWI Biplane

Simon Dyer

Hi Folks

Im really interested in doing a WWI Biplane (any biplane really for that matter) in either 1/32 or 1/24. The last one I did some 20 odd years ago was a Revell 1/32 Tiger Moth, with my level of skill at the time I was really chuffed with the outcome.............then came the rigging and things quickly went down hill from there 😱😭

Now though being a lot more confident and with a bit more knowledge I would like to give it another go. Ive been looking around and what with Wingnuts who I understand were the RR of WWI kits now gone (the ones that are available are a wee bit out of my price range) I was wondering if you kind and helpful folk could recommend anything?  I have my eye on a Merit 1/24 RAF S.E.5.a # 62402 but have no idea about this manufacturer, quality or anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.  I have a couple of kits I would like to sell/swap but have not done enough posts to qualify just yet.

If Ive posted this in the wrong place again any guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Si

BTW.  The Tiger Moth I cleaned up a few months back and is now pride of place in a friends house, warts and all 👍

The Merit 1/24th kits are, to be polite, not very good. Okay if free, or very little money, but reputedly not a good effort. If it's an SE5a you're set on, the Eduard 1/48th kits (or the reboxing by Revell) are very good and relatively easy to build. Roden are okay if you're willing to put in more effort, but I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner.

To be honest I wouldn't start with an SE5a either - the rigging isn't the most straightforward and there is a lot more of it than on a Tiggy.  If it has to be Allied, then about the simplest you can get away with would be a Nieuport (any sort except the 28 or triplanes). The Eduard kits for these are legion, and not very expensive. If you're happy with a WW1 momoplane that you can still do some rigging on, I'd say a Morane N or Bristol M1C. The latter is available in 1/32nd from Special hobby. Enough rigging to get serious with it, but easier to access than on a biplane. The Morane N was kitted twice by Eduard, in 1/48th, and that has slightly more rigging but just as easy to get at.  The more recent kit should be easy enough to find.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Spelling.

Keep away from the Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel.

I was given one and I'm still building it.

Its an ok kit to build but everything is mirrored on it!

I'm spending a lot of time removing moulded on details and redoing them on the correct side

For a beginner, go with the Meng Fokker Dr1 triplane. Ex Wingnut Wings kit, very good quality and detail, excellent parts fit, minimal rigging. Look for Gisbod's build log on this forum.  Regards, Pete in RI. Actually, see the post below this, Meng Dr1 by Bearpaw. Go down to the end and there is a direct link to Gisbod's build. 

Edited by europapete
additional comment
  • Like 1

As others have asked does it have to be WW1 (and 1/32 scale)? I am a relative newcomer to biplane builds and am working myself up to building some of my Wingnut Wings kits (well I've actually started my first one but it's going very slowly). I decided a couple of years ago to get some more experience by building various biplanes in 1/48 as they were readily available, the Eduard Fokker D.VII was one that I really enjoyed but is fiddly in a couple of places. Merit's Grumman Duck (Tooled by Trumpeter so a well fitting kit) was also fun. ICM's new 1/32 scale range of Gloster Gladiators are getting rave reviews for ease of build and quality and they aren't too expensive. Meng's new Fokker Dr.1 should be a good build but they are still fairly rare here in the UK as the official UK Distributor's stock hasn't arrived yet but going forward they should be readily available but is possibly too much to pay for a kit that you are attempting as a first multi-winged model, same applies to the lovely Copper State Model Nieuports which are considered to be getting close to Wingnut Wings quality (and original retail price). 

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and how confident you are. Some Eduard Weekend edition kits won't break the bank at around £12-£19 and will provide you with enough of a challenge without being overwhelming.

Duncan B

3 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

, same applies to the lovely Copper State Model Nieuports which are considered to be getting close to Wingnut Wings quality (and original retail price). 

Duncan B

I'd delay with the CSM kits, having built a few. They are lovely, and well worth the dosh, but there are several places with the Nieuports that you can come a cropper unless you're already pretty clued up on the type. Particularly the fuselage parts breakdown, where you build up the interior, add the external cladding of the front area, then build up separately and add the rear, some of which can be left uncovered if that's you're thing. There is much scope for cumulative errors. Having said that, if you already have the skills it goes together well and results in a very good model. The Caudron, Dolphin and FK8 OTOH, while arguably much more interesting, have many more areas where you can go wrong. Also, if you're bothered by accuracy, CSM used duff plans when designing the Dolphin and it has many accuracy issues (reviewed in Cher Ami and the IPMS mag by me, which is how I found out). Not dissing CSM, no-one told them not to use the plans that they did, and all the later kits are beautiful.

Paul.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

I'd delay with the CSM kits, having built a few. They are lovely, and well worth the dosh, but there are several places with the Nieuports that you can come a cropper unless you're already pretty clued up on the type. Particularly the fuselage parts breakdown, where you build up the interior, add the external cladding of the front area, then build up separately and add the rear, some of which can be left uncovered if that's you're thing. There is much scope for cumulative errors. Having said that, if you already have the skills it goes together well and results in a very good model. The Caudron, Dolphin and FK8 OTOH, while arguably much more interesting, have many more areas where you can go wrong. Also, if you're bothered by accuracy, CSM used duff plans when designing the Dolphin and it has many accuracy issues (reviewed in Cher Ami and the IPMS mag by me, which is how I found out). Not dissing CSM, no-one told them not to use the plans that they did, and all the later kits are beautiful.

Paul.

I agree that I wouldn't consider the CSM kits as ones to try out as a beginner. I was trying to say that the Meng Dr.1 and the CSM kits are probably too much to pay for an entry level into the world of multi wings and rigging. Mind you it's surprising how many people used to ask about the bigger WnW kits as their first attempt at a biplane. I would always try to talk them out of it (or at the very least make sure they understood what they were getting themselves into) and remember one particular chap being less than impressed that I was actually recommending he didn't buy a Felixstowe from me as he'd never made a biplane before!

Duncan B

If it’s any biplane then how about trying the ICM Gladiator. You can cut your teeth on the rigging, but you won’t get to try out the wood and linen effects. I’ve no experience of the Roden kits, but I think their Albatros is meant to be reasonable. 

I’d agree, a SE5a is pushing it as your first attempt at rigging, although saying that the WNW one was mine. I could have chosen better.  

As has been pointed out scaling down opens you up to Eduard’s range, which are cheap and plentiful. 

Be warned you may find yourself only building biplanes in the not too distant. 

• Like 1

Hello, Simon -

Apologies for coming in late on this discussion.

My thoughts are to go with the more simple WW1 aircraft (as others have already said) and maybe start in 1/48 scale - why not the Eduard range such as the Fokker Dr1; DVII; DVIII or probably their range of Nieuport fighters?  Rigging is not extensive on these aircraft.

I really rate the Roden kits, but from my experience would suggest that they are not the best for a beginner - that can be fiddly to get together and their decals require care putting onto the model.

The 1/24 Merit SE5a kit you have does suffer from some accuracy issues but does go together very well - I've built it in the past so know it needs a bit of correction work to get the best out of it.  This kit does however provide you with PE rigging wires.  I did not use it as I could not see how you could apply it without it bending so could look a bit odd.  I used 4lb fishing line instead.  As others have said anyway, the SE5a (like the Sopwith Camel) has a lot of bracing wires to simulate so probably not the best place to start.

If you need some advice with rigging you are more than welcome to contact me direct via a PM.

Regards

Dave

I know this isn't WW1, but I did this 1/32 Jungmann and used fine nylon fishing line for the rigging. It wasn't too difficult with a little forwards planning to drill holes. Once rigged, I brushed over the rigging with a chrome pen to give it that stainless appearance. I've also used 0.1mm stainless wire in the past, but that was a bit more tricky to work with.

jungmann78.jpg

jungmann81.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

Just a heads up regarding rigging Simon - when I checked on Saturday the WNW website is still active. IMO it's well worth downloading all their instruction booklets as they have good clear rigging diagrams, and there are lots of useful details shown in the diagrams and photo's in them.

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks folks for all your replies and advice its much appreciated.

Not been on the site for long but you folks are amazing with your your replies and knowledge, thank you

Once I get my head around it all I will hopefully be able to contribute a bit more myself

Thanks again

Si

On 9/20/2020 at 12:36 PM, Army_Air_Force said:

I know this isn't WW1, but I did this 1/32 Jungmann and used fine nylon fishing line for the rigging. It wasn't too difficult with a little forwards planning to drill holes. Once rigged, I brushed over the rigging with a chrome pen to give it that stainless appearance. I've also used 0.1mm stainless wire in the past, but that was a bit more tricky to work with.

jungmann78.jpg

jungmann81.jpg

Thanks Stephen. Lovely build, very nice indeed 👌👍