Fiesta RS rally car 1.32 Airfix

This is another scratch job on the steering and wheels assembly. Glued on wheels and cart axle style fittings were starting to bug me and I've been a mission recently..... 😎

Decided to try for the "just finished a stage" look as an experiment. 

The decals were a challenge but, I have to say, they all fitted and lined up around the bodywork. The side window panels needed a bit of sorting to fit in properly but all went nicely in the end. 

IMG_20200918_154256

IMG_20200918_154347

IMG_20200918_154457

IMG_20200918_154546

IMG_20200918_155335

IMG_20200918_155408

IMG_20200918_155514

IMG_20200918_155533

I didn't record the steering build but here's the chassis with a top wishbones strip running across. The trackrod is to the front, the red wire. 

IMG_20200913_224710

IMG_20200913_224848

The shell is a good tidy fit on the chassis and remains unglued 

Good fun and an enjoyable kit to build, except for the blasted square assembly lugs on the wheels!! 😎

• Like 10

Very nice build, especially for one at this small scale. If it's any consolation, the Belkits version of the same age Fiesta (and I presume the WRC version is same as the S2000) also has unposeable wheels despite being 1/24, so hats off to you for adding that here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

also has unposeable wheels despite being 1/24,

It's something that has surprised me as I'm building a few cars, just how ingrained this practice is with the kit designers. 

But then I'm often going on about aircraft kits with flaps and all control surfaces moulded into the plastic and major surgery required to obtain any movement or animation on the airframe. 

To me, square lugs to glue the wheels is unacceptable even in 1.32. Hell I remember slot cars in the early days with operational steering! MRRC was it? 

It's not rocket science 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

It's something that has surprised me as I'm building a few cars, just how ingrained this practice is with the kit designers. 

But then I'm often going on about aircraft kits with flaps and all control surfaces moulded into the plastic and major surgery required to obtain any movement or animation on the airframe. 

To me, square lugs to glue the wheels is unacceptable even in 1.32. Hell I remember slot cars in the early days with operational steering! MRRC was it? 

It's not rocket science 

Correct me if I’m wrong , but I seem to remember when I was building my Fiesta people on the forum were saying the kit was based on a Scaleixtric slot car , hence the 1:32 scale . 
Gary .  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong , but I seem to remember when I was building my Fiesta people on the forum were saying the kit was based on a Scaleixtric slot car , hence the 1:32 scale . 

Airfix have a long history of 1.32 cars going right back to the 60s when they were competing with Scalextric, 

IMG_20200919_222320

Sure enough there's the Rapier, Zodiac, E-type and the Mini straight out of the static model range. 

But this Fiesta is a much later product. The box cites 2012. 

Having said that, Hornby owns both Scalextric and Airfix now, so is that the link you're thinking of? 

Good point, but I didn't notice anything about the build that looks transferable to a commercial slot car. I don't think any of it is robust enough to cross over. 

But I did consider the option of making the conversion myself. A little sidewinder set-up would fit nicely in behind the seats in the boot! There was also the option to fit it out with scalextric wheels and rubber tyres. But in the end I decided on the steering fix. 

But from the Airfix point of view, I think it's that they started in 1.32 and that's how they will continue. 

Their first car was the 1911 Rolls Royce and that appeared in 1955! 

Wonder if they still have the moulds? It would be great to see them all again in their Vintage Classic reissue programme 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...