Jump to content

Hasegawa 1/24 Toyota Corolla WRC Safari


Recommended Posts

Hi, so next up on the bench is the Toyota Corolla WRC Safari yet another kit from Hasegawa. I've had this in the stash for ages and thought it's about time I opened the box and gave it a go. Here's a pic of the box art 

 

spacer.png

 

The following pic's show the shell cleaned up ready for paint and the grey primer applied 

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

As usual the primer is mr surfacer 1500 3 coats then dry sanded with various grades of wet and dry paper which leaves me now ready for the Tamiya X2 White basecoat. 

Interestingly also included in the kit are a selection of metal parts for the snorkel, wing mirrors and bull bars etc Exactly why Hasegawa have used metal parts I'm not sure however once cleaned up they should look ok. Here's a pic of the metal parts 

 

spacer.png

 

That's all for now but it's a start plenty more to come. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Good choice. Andy . I love Safari spec rally cars . I have this one in my stash too . 

 Gary . 

At first glance it looks like a decent kit. A pretty challenging decal scheme but although the decals look slightly aged hopefully i can get away with it 🙂👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Andy J said:

At first glance it looks like a decent kit. A pretty challenging decal scheme but although the decals look slightly aged hopefully i can get away with it 🙂👍

Decals shouldn't be too bad to apply . I built the Tamiya Corolla years ago and I remember the decals were pretty simple . 

  Gary.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Decals shouldn't be too bad to apply . I built the Tamiya Corolla years ago and I remember the decals were pretty simple . 

  Gary.  

Great no pressure then 🤣👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A small amount of progress today the shell has received the X2 basecoat and the chassis has also received a coat of paint. As with the last build I'm hoping not to use a clear coat if possible so fingers crossed the shell dries ok. Here's a pic of today's session 

 

spacer.png

 

Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing catch up again Andy, and as usual have missed a fair bit of good progress already!

 

Nice paint work again!

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's update will be the last one for a while as I'm off on holiday next week 🙂. A bit of work on the interior completed and tbh there isn't a lot in terms of detail so just the bare essentials required. There are a few pin ejector marks on the interior but as none of them will be visible once the shell is in place I've left them alone. Still need to fit the dashboard, door card's, pedals etc but that's work for another day. Here's a couple of pics 

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

Like i say nothing special required here but it's progress. Thanks for looking see you in a week time to pack my suitcase 😉👍

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Have a good week Andy

Thanks mate will do 👍May have to up the build speed when I get back to make up for lost time 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your build speed is plenty fast enough! Loads of completions, and you've done it without knocking back the quality either. This one is looking very good too, looking forward to the next update. But for now, have a good week and enjoy your break.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Your build speed is plenty fast enough! Loads of completions, and you've done it without knocking back the quality either. This one is looking very good too, looking forward to the next update. But for now, have a good week and enjoy your break.

Thanks Spiny, joking apart I never rush to finish a build i just stick to a method that works for me. The Corolla is build No 18 since January this year and I've enjoyed every one, the only downside to rapid building is the cost. I hope to finish 24 by the end of the year that's around £600 in kit's alone! However the upside is i love my hobby so I tend not to think about the cost to often. I will enjoy my break mate and recharge the batteries ready to plough on when I get back 🙂👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I used to do before continually torturing myself making ''proper'' seat harnesses for every build, was to use the kit decals as you have here, but just carefully cut them out and left them on the backing paper. Colour the white edges of the paper with a felt pen and stick them to the seat. The thickness of the paper gives them a more realistic 3D effect.

 

Thinking about it, that was so much easier to do I may go back to that method....!! :)

 

Enjoy your hols!

 

Keith

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

One thing I used to do before continually torturing myself making ''proper'' seat harnesses for every build, was to use the kit decals as you have here, but just carefully cut them out and left them on the backing paper. Colour the white edges of the paper with a felt pen and stick them to the seat. The thickness of the paper gives them a more realistic 3D effect.

 

Thinking about it, that was so much easier to do I may go back to that method....!! :)

 

Enjoy your hols!

 

Keith

Cheers Keith, I usually use photo etch belts but I don't have any in stock at the moment. The decals aren't great but once the shell is in place they will look ok i reckon. Good idea regarding the belts one to remember for the future 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve spotted your special painting technique on the fuel tank ! Don’t forget to paint the front bars of the rollcage Matt black , a detail that’s often forgotten on rally car models . Happy holiday ! 
Gary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I’ve spotted your special painting technique on the fuel tank ! Don’t forget to paint the front bars of the rollcage Matt black , a detail that’s often forgotten on rally car models . Happy holiday ! 
Gary. 

Cheers Gary, I'll sort the roll cage on my return 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, so a small update and I now have the interior all in place and I've managed to add a bit more detail to the shell. Still some more work required but steady progress and I'm looking forward to adding the decal scheme as the shell looks a little bare atm 

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, so work commitments have slowed my progress on this one but a full day today and I've moved forward. Still more decals to add and various bits and pieces but a couple of sessions should see this one over the line. 

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good , Andy . Did you know Toyota used a diferent design around the number on the doors for each rally , appropriate for the country of the rally . Rally GB cars had umbrellas , Rally Spain a flamenco dancer . Safari , zebra stripes , in Castrol colours though ! 

 Gary . 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Looking good , Andy . Did you know Toyota used a diferent design around the number on the doors for each rally , appropriate for the country of the rally . Rally GB cars had umbrellas , Rally Spain a flamenco dancer . Safari , zebra stripes , in Castrol colours though ! 

 Gary . 

Cheers Gary, I had no idea about the different designs very interesting fact mate 👍 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So today's session has got me 99% there only wipers, snorkel, front bar's and a couple of decals left to do. One more session should see this finished so hopefully this weekend after work i can get this one over the line 🙂. Here's a few pic's of where the Corolla currently stands 

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is looking brilliant. I always liked the Toyotas in the Castrol colours, really eye catching & this shows that beautifully. 👍

Steve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking brilliant. I always liked the Toyotas in the Castrol colours, really eye catching & this shows that beautifully. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve, there's a lot of decals to apply with this scheme but I agree with you it really is an eye catching car in this livery 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I managed to get the last bits and pieces finished up which means the Corolla is finished 🙂. Here's a pic more to follow in the rfi 

 

spacer.png

 

Thanks to everyone who followed along and left comments much appreciated as always 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...