Hasegawa 1/24 Toyota Corolla WRC Safari

Andy J

Hi, so next up on the bench is the Toyota Corolla WRC Safari yet another kit from Hasegawa. I've had this in the stash for ages and thought it's about time I opened the box and gave it a go. Here's a pic of the box art 

spacer.png

The following pic's show the shell cleaned up ready for paint and the grey primer applied 

spacer.png

spacer.png

As usual the primer is mr surfacer 1500 3 coats then dry sanded with various grades of wet and dry paper which leaves me now ready for the Tamiya X2 White basecoat. 

Interestingly also included in the kit are a selection of metal parts for the snorkel, wing mirrors and bull bars etc Exactly why Hasegawa have used metal parts I'm not sure however once cleaned up they should look ok. Here's a pic of the metal parts 

spacer.png

That's all for now but it's a start plenty more to come. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Good choice. Andy . I love Safari spec rally cars . I have this one in my stash too . 

Gary . 

At first glance it looks like a decent kit. A pretty challenging decal scheme but although the decals look slightly aged hopefully i can get away with it 🙂👍

19 minutes ago, Andy J said:

At first glance it looks like a decent kit. A pretty challenging decal scheme but although the decals look slightly aged hopefully i can get away with it 🙂👍

Decals shouldn't be too bad to apply . I built the Tamiya Corolla years ago and I remember the decals were pretty simple . 

Gary.  

4 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Decals shouldn't be too bad to apply . I built the Tamiya Corolla years ago and I remember the decals were pretty simple . 

Gary.  

Great no pressure then 🤣👍

• Like 1

A small amount of progress today the shell has received the X2 basecoat and the chassis has also received a coat of paint. As with the last build I'm hoping not to use a clear coat if possible so fingers crossed the shell dries ok. Here's a pic of today's session 

spacer.png

Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 3

Today's update will be the last one for a while as I'm off on holiday next week 🙂. A bit of work on the interior completed and tbh there isn't a lot in terms of detail so just the bare essentials required. There are a few pin ejector marks on the interior but as none of them will be visible once the shell is in place I've left them alone. Still need to fit the dashboard, door card's, pedals etc but that's work for another day. Here's a couple of pics 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like i say nothing special required here but it's progress. Thanks for looking see you in a week time to pack my suitcase 😉👍

• Like 7

Your build speed is plenty fast enough! Loads of completions, and you've done it without knocking back the quality either. This one is looking very good too, looking forward to the next update. But for now, have a good week and enjoy your break.

38 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Your build speed is plenty fast enough! Loads of completions, and you've done it without knocking back the quality either. This one is looking very good too, looking forward to the next update. But for now, have a good week and enjoy your break.

Thanks Spiny, joking apart I never rush to finish a build i just stick to a method that works for me. The Corolla is build No 18 since January this year and I've enjoyed every one, the only downside to rapid building is the cost. I hope to finish 24 by the end of the year that's around £600 in kit's alone! However the upside is i love my hobby so I tend not to think about the cost to often. I will enjoy my break mate and recharge the batteries ready to plough on when I get back 🙂👍

One thing I used to do before continually torturing myself making ''proper'' seat harnesses for every build, was to use the kit decals as you have here, but just carefully cut them out and left them on the backing paper. Colour the white edges of the paper with a felt pen and stick them to the seat. The thickness of the paper gives them a more realistic 3D effect.

Thinking about it, that was so much easier to do I may go back to that method....!! :)

Enjoy your hols!

Keith

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

One thing I used to do before continually torturing myself making ''proper'' seat harnesses for every build, was to use the kit decals as you have here, but just carefully cut them out and left them on the backing paper. Colour the white edges of the paper with a felt pen and stick them to the seat. The thickness of the paper gives them a more realistic 3D effect.

Thinking about it, that was so much easier to do I may go back to that method....!! :)

Enjoy your hols!

Keith

Cheers Keith, I usually use photo etch belts but I don't have any in stock at the moment. The decals aren't great but once the shell is in place they will look ok i reckon. Good idea regarding the belts one to remember for the future 😉

15 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I’ve spotted your special painting technique on the fuel tank ! Don’t forget to paint the front bars of the rollcage Matt black , a detail that’s often forgotten on rally car models . Happy holiday ! 
Gary. 

Cheers Gary, I'll sort the roll cage on my return 👍

• Like 1

Hi there, so a small update and I now have the interior all in place and I've managed to add a bit more detail to the shell. Still some more work required but steady progress and I'm looking forward to adding the decal scheme as the shell looks a little bare atm 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Hi there, so work commitments have slowed my progress on this one but a full day today and I've moved forward. Still more decals to add and various bits and pieces but a couple of sessions should see this one over the line. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Looking good , Andy . Did you know Toyota used a diferent design around the number on the doors for each rally , appropriate for the country of the rally . Rally GB cars had umbrellas , Rally Spain a flamenco dancer . Safari , zebra stripes , in Castrol colours though ! 

Gary . 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Looking good , Andy . Did you know Toyota used a diferent design around the number on the doors for each rally , appropriate for the country of the rally . Rally GB cars had umbrellas , Rally Spain a flamenco dancer . Safari , zebra stripes , in Castrol colours though ! 

Gary . 

Cheers Gary, I had no idea about the different designs very interesting fact mate 👍 

• Like 1

So today's session has got me 99% there only wipers, snorkel, front bar's and a couple of decals left to do. One more session should see this finished so hopefully this weekend after work i can get this one over the line 🙂. Here's a few pic's of where the Corolla currently stands 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking brilliant. I always liked the Toyotas in the Castrol colours, really eye catching & this shows that beautifully. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve, there's a lot of decals to apply with this scheme but I agree with you it really is an eye catching car in this livery 🙂

• Like 1

So I managed to get the last bits and pieces finished up which means the Corolla is finished 🙂. Here's a pic more to follow in the rfi 

spacer.png

Thanks to everyone who followed along and left comments much appreciated as always 👍

• Like 3