1/72 captured Luftwaffe Lioré et Olivier LeO 451T (Heller) ** RETIRED HURT **

5 hours ago, warhawk said:

If You know someone who works at a nail salon, You can ask them to put those under a nail-curing UV lamp.

A couple hours should have the same effect as a couple of days in the sun.

That's a great tip. I don't though, sadly!

The amount of time it’s taken me to get to this point you’d think the interior would be an absolute masterpiece, but truth be told it’s a proper dog’s breakfast. It’s fairly basic and I seem to have mustered all my skills in clumsiness and dropping tiny little bits along the way. There’s about a gallon of glue holding it all together. Whatever bits came with the kit I’ve used without speculating as to which bits the transport version might or might not have used. One part, the bit that sticks out under the nose, vanished along the way; not dropped and couldn’t be found, but just disappeared from the big plastic box where everything lives. So I found something in the spares box that looked vaguely like it. Most of this will be invisible, thankfully.

Interesting point about this configuration: perhaps the LeO was flown by a giraffe. How else would he be able to see where he was going?

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 7

Finally got the fuselage joined up (it was a bit of a battle, everything seemed to be crammed in just that bit too tightly), but I still have a lot of work to do on it. Some of the panel lines I scribed when it was separate halves don't match up and will need redoing; I haven't done any of the panel lines on the bottom of the fuselage yet (and have to put the bomb door back in the right place); I have that dorsal apertyure to reshape and there's a bit of a gap on the spine I'm going to need to fill. 

spacer.png

Plus there's a bit where the styrene seems to have melted and will need sorting out. Overenthusiastic application of cement?

spacer.png

Doesn't it look scruffy😁

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes been there done that. Its fixable just a pain in the rump. 

Just spent 20 minutes sanding like a madman.

• Like 1

Spending an evening with the fuselage, sorting out that melty bit, smoothing out all the joins, finishing the scribing and engaging in further margarine-tub-lid bodgery around that dorsal aperture.

spacer.png

• Like 2

With a bit of luck and a following wind I might get the very last bits on the fuselage done tonight. The margarine tub lid/Milliput combo worked out quite well on the dorsal aperture modification. Boy does that stuff take some sanding though...

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5

The scribing is all done but it’s such a mess I’m too embarrassed to show it.

The fit of the canopy isn’t great so I’m putting in a shim cunningly fashioned from (you guessed it) margarine tub lid. This may or may not work...

spacer.png

The pilot’s seat fell out!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

How bad was the cockpit canopy joint? 

it’s a “rocker” - you can have it flush at the base, or flush at the back, but not both. Not sure of how big the gap is (I’m out) but certainly very noticeable. My makeshift shim seems to have done the trick though. I’ll get a photo once I’ve got it 100% flush with the fuselage.

@RidgeRunner Here’s that shim Martin, still needs a bit of tidying up but you get the idea:

spacer.png

And with the canopy. Still not perfect, I may sand a bit away from the bottom but it’s much improved. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Tony. I see you’ve scribed the panels too. I hadn’t planned to but yours look good! Ho hum ...

you haven’t seen the underside yet 😳😂

39 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

you haven’t seen the underside yet 😳😂

I may just proceed without ;). My machine was "silver" laquered and so panel lines are a little irrelevant and it will save my embarrassement! ;)

I think mine is going to stall for a while because I really need to get my MiG-21UM done. If I dont I'll lose my momentum with it! I'm also keen to get her finished :)

Martin

• Like 1

I think the cockpit looks great! Maybe the part you dropped was a periscope?

For a biggish 1970s kit I guess you can expect a bit of seam-stress. Looks good now though and that back cockpit looks a bit less draughty!

Thinking about the decals, I bought some UV curing glue on ebay for under a tenner that came with a UV light. I wonder if that has the wherewithal to un-yellow decals? I expect it's the same tech as you would get in a nail salon?

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Thinking about the decals, I bought some UV curing glue on ebay for under a tenner that came with a UV light. I wonder if that has the wherewithal to un-yellow decals? I expect it's the same tech as you would get in a nail salon?

If there’s a cost effective way of deyellowing decals out there I’m all over it, having accumulated a good number  of 80s Heller boxings whose decals are “showing their age”! They will cost me a small fortune in aftermarket decals!

35 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

cost effective way of deyellowing decals

I’ll give it a go tomorrow with my Dewoitine 510 decals - I’ve booked a trip into my office next week just so I can use the laser printer to print some replacement decals!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Tony

Great progress so far.

I used my fish tank lights to cure the yellowing of some Heller decals recently. If you know anyone with a tropical fish tank that would do the trick.

Cheers Pat

Like nail salon employees, tropical fish enthusiasts are sadly lacking from my list of friends 😩

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Like nail salon employees, tropical fish enthusiasts are sadly lacking from my list of friends 😩

;) My Guarami and Tetras might be homing some decal sheets in the future ;)

..... or I could try the MV in the moth trap ;)

Martin

• Like 1

This is not going well.

First had to deal with a couple of the tiny side windows popping out through “overhandling”. This involved keyhole surgery and more cement than is ideal.

Now I’ve trashed the cockpit canopy. I started painting the framing but mixed it too than and I could see it seeping under the masking tape, so I whipped everything off and removed the paint with white spirit. This clouded the transparency so I went at it with a rotary buffer. Not clever. Any ideas how I can get the transparency transparent again?

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Sad 2

Unfortunately not as I’m an Armour build mostly, I do hear about people using Klear on canopy’s. Again not sure what it does.

• Like 1