1/72 captured Luftwaffe Lioré et Olivier LeO 451T (Heller) ** RETIRED HURT **

29 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Great joy! I have found and ordered a decal sheet with the correct codes from a French manufacturer. Interestingly the colour guide shows the underside as white, whereas the colour photo of OK+ZD clearly shows it as yellow, and (now I think of it) yellow while still in  Luftwaffe markings. Which means the Americans just added the white stripe, their roundels and the tricouleurs on the tail, and left the codes on the underwings intact. So finally I know where I'm going with what it will look like.

Very late to the party with this thought, but I have seen other captured Allied aircrfat in Luftwaffe use that had a mix of German camo and big chunks painted yellow so this scheme makes sense if this was a captured plane (maybe from when Vichy France was occupied?) rather than one of the many types impressed into German service as the original owners were overrun.

Whatever the story, it's going to be a very striking model.

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Where did you get those from Tony?

French seller "mggm2005" on eBay. 

I've realised in the meantime that the underwing codes are wrong (there's always something...), should be OK+ZD not ON+ZD but with a sharp knife and some imaginative cutting I may be able to fashion a "K" out of the "N".

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

There's some fascinating stuff about the development and history of the Leo 451 here:

https://en.topwar.ru/71472-leo-45-udachnyy-samolet-kotoromu-ne-vezlo.html 

...including this wonderful picture of the first production aircraft on show in Paris, November 1938. As French bombers go, it must have looked very sleek and modern compared to the clunkers that had come before.

spacer.png

I didn't expect to find this such an interesting aircraft. Sorry if this is appearing a bit self-indulgent 😁 but I like finding out about the planes, and I thought with the Heller Classic GB imminent there might be one or two others building Leos so thought a collection of info might be helpful.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5

On 20/09/2020 at 22:34, TonyOD said:

Well, getting to work...

first job, a bit of painting bits on sprues (“grappes”, apparently). The instructions are very relaxed about the colours. Humbrol colours are specified for the outside, but for the interior it’s just “dark green grey”, “brown” and a lot of “apple green”. I’ve been rummaging around in by boxes of Humbrol and Revell paints for things that fit these vague descriptions. I mean, I have something that looks like an apple, but wonder if something like good old Humbrol 78 might be more appropriate...

spacer.png

Good afternoon Tony

On a French forum I asked the question of the color and he answered me "midnight blue" for the interior, with black instrument panels ..he also told me about the release of this book http://leo45.e-monsite.com/blog/le-blog-de-leo/ouverture-du-site-de-prenom.html

I'll tell you if I can find more information..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Tony

On a French forum I asked the question of the color and he answered me "midnight blue" for the interior, with black instrument panels ..he also told me about the release of this book http://leo45.e-monsite.com/blog/le-blog-de-leo/ouverture-du-site-de-prenom.html

I'll tell you if I can find more information..

Best Regards

Patrice

Thanks Patrice... I’ve seen this midnight blue mentioned in connection to fighters, possibly the same was used with bombers. Rule number one of modelling: “never trust the instructions!”

Finally I decided to go with a true “vert pomme”, which is brighter than the Humbrol 78 I was using before. It’s a nice colour and will look ok with a matt coating. I’m not getting too hung up on the interior on this one though 😁. Should I repaint it midnight blue...? 🤔

spacer.png

That book looks like fantastic work from a real enthusiast/expert, but €65... oof! I looked at his website and a familiar LeO features prominently on the home page!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks Patrice... I’ve seen this midnight blue mentioned in connection to fighters, possibly the same was used with bombers. Rule number one of modelling: “never trust the instructions!”

Finally I decided to go with a true “vert pomme”, which is brighter than the Humbrol 78 I was using before. It’s a nice colour and will look ok with a matt coating. I’m not getting too hung up on the interior on this one though 😁. Should I repaint it midnight blue...? 🤔

spacer.png

That book looks like fantastic work from a real enthusiast/expert, but €65... oof! I looked at his website and a familiar LeO features prominently on the home page!

I must admit that I am not an expert of the french bombers of that period ..your  true “vert pomme” looks good to me ...

Yes the price of this book is quite impressive but as you mentionned it is the work of a real enthusiast .. 

I f I can find more infos I will tell you .. 

Have fun

Best Regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

With my new-found enthusiasm for l’Hellerisme comes the realisation that raised surface detail is certainly where it’s at with their kits. Bought these. Summoning up the nerve to use them...

spacer.png

• Like 2

OK, so you’re building a French plane captured by the Americans off the Germans in Italy on the Britmodeller forum. You’re sure you can’t get the Russians and Japanese involved somehow in the build? 😜

Seriously, great off the wall choice! Looking forward to it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 7

52 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

OK, so you’re building a French plane captured by the Americans off the Germans in Italy on the Britmodeller forum.

It had occurred to me 😁

Thanks for looking in. I'm enjoying this one, although it isn't coming together very quickly!

Well, I think I’m still some distance from Having anything remotely interesting to look at. I’ve scribed the wings and half the fuselage with the aid of Dymo tape and quite a bit of CA glue touching up and sanding back, for first time out I’m reasonably pleased with the result but we’ll see what it looks out further down the line.

For some reason the bomb door and the retractable ventral turret position are moulded off centre, I checked against some drawings and no it wasn’t  that way on the actual plane! So I’m rescribing them in the right positions, it’s funny what you decide you can’t possibly live with. There is the option to build the kit with the turret down but there aren’t any pictures I can find of this aircraft with it down; in any case the transport conversion had room for 17 passengers, it’s my bet that the turret was taken out to make room for the seats though some outside evidence of where it had been would probably remain...

spacer.png

• Like 4

Done as much scribing as I could, though there will be more when the fuselage halves are joined. 

I thought I might have a go at some rivetting, so I went in search of inspration and found this. First thought: yikes, that's a lot of rivets. Second thought: nicely moulded as they were, the raised panel lines that I used as a guide for my scribing were't a very accurate representation. I think I'll have to live with that though.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

...and on this drawing the bombs doors and turret are off centre. Aaaargh!

The joys of modelling!  You're doing a lot more than I would do, no rivets and very few panel lines for me!

Davey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

You're doing a lot more than I would do, no rivets and very few panel lines for me!

After careful consideration I've decided to forego the rivets on this one. I've never done riveting before (or scribed panel lines for that matter) and I don't think a plane this complex is the right place to start!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

After careful consideration I've decided to forego the rivets on this one. I've never done riveting before (or scribed panel lines for that matter) and I don't think a plane this complex is the right place to start!

I don't blame you! Scribing panel lines and riveting all of those curves would be a task that would give me the screaming ab dabs. She'll look good enough as is.

Nice find on the decals. If you do have any issues, I've got a good stash of black and white numbers and letters that might help.

Steve

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I don't blame you! Scribing panel lines and riveting all of those curves would be a task that would give me the screaming ab dabs. She'll look good enough as is.

Nice find on the decals. If you do have any issues, I've got a good stash of black and white numbers and letters that might help.

Steve

Yeah, I've been going blind doing the lines so the rivets would be a step too far, I'll save that for a safer bet of a build! Good to know re. the letters, many thanks. The letter "O" appears to be narrower than the Luftwaffe standard on decal sheets I've seen. Like I said I hope to be able to make a "K" from the duff "N" but if I mess it up I'll bother you!

• Like 1

Tonight’s shift had been finishing the masking on the canopy. Pretty much every build I’ve ever done has been reasonably straightforward in this regard but this is eye-watering. The see through bits are very clear but also quite thick so refract light impressively. On to the nose bit....

spacer.png

• Like 4