My flight in Hawker Hurricane BE505

Alpha Delta 210

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

@Alpha Delta 210 what a fantastic experience. Jealous as hell! Great photos and one to cherish :)

@Jonny, sorry to hear of your loss, hopefully your memories bring smiles through your difficult times.

neil 

Thanks Neil. Definitely one to cherish! My two friends were using digital SLRs and despite battling the reflections on the Airvan windows have produced some truly sensational images. It will be very difficult to choose the images for my photo book!

17 hours ago, woody37 said:

@Jonny, sorry to hear of your loss, hopefully your memories bring smiles through your difficult times.

neil 

Thank you, Neil ...

It hurts like hell but I'm trying to recall ALL of the many good times we shared in a littlke over 35 years together.  It's just that the more recent horrible few months are still too vivid.

I'm trying, praying I'll be able to push those unwelcome memories into the background and keep the good ones.

Cheers,

Jonny

• Sad 3

Fantastic. I'd read that a two seat Hurricane was being prepared. No idea that it was flying already. Definitely on my bucket list. Causes me a dilemma though, Spitfire or Hurricane? Both? 

I'm dying to add an entry to my logbook Spitfire or Hurricane:1 hour. 

I think the initiative to have the Airvan fly alongside is brilliant. The idea of sharing the experience with family or friends or even just giving the enthusiast the chance to fly alongside a warbird is wonderful.

The Airvan is perfect for the job. It has great visibility, everyone has their own seat and window and is very docile to fly. I  have nearly a thousand hours in Airvans so I'm quite fond of the type. 

If you want to avoid reflections in photos you could open the sliding door in flight.😳  Just stay strapped in your seat. Did it a few times. 😂 Obviously not allowed.

Anyway well done. Start saving for the Spitfire now. I'd love to do it one day. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Thanks Noel. The Airvan passengers didn't find the Airvan especially docile! It was definitely more of a shared experience flying in formation with friends and family, plus I've got some excellent pictures to record the experience for posterity!

I'm definitely going to take a Spitfire flight when I retire and suggest that both types in your log book would look "ace"!🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks Noel. The Airvan passengers didn't find the Airvan especially docile! It was definitely more of a shared experience flying in formation with friends and family, plus I've got some excellent pictures to record the experience for posterity!

I'm definitely going to take a Spitfire flight when I retire and suggest that both types in your log book would look "ace"!🤣

Ha ha, yes the average layman finds any light  aircraft as 'challenging'  But believe  me it's a teddy bear compared to the Cessna's of this world. The Aussies got this Airvan  right. If they thought that was bad, try  flying in the equivalent  Cessna  206. 

I want both too. Particularly  an ex Irish Air Corps Spitfire. But I  just might plump for the Hurricane.

Aren't we're lucky that we have  these opportunities? You 'FLEW' a Hurricane....

How special is that? How many  people  this  century  can say that?

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 12:49 AM, Jonny said:

Thank you, Neil ...

It hurts like hell but I'm trying to recall ALL of the many good times we shared in a littlke over 35 years together.  It's just that the more recent horrible few months are still too vivid.

I'm trying, praying I'll be able to push those unwelcome memories into the background and keep the good ones.

Cheers,

Jonny

Thinking of you mate, grieving is hard any time, especially when it's hard to meet up with friends or do things to take your mind off it.

Hopefully the guys round here can help in our own small way with our plastic obsessions!

Take care,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, noelh said:

I want both too. Particularly  an ex Irish Air Corps Spitfire. But I  just might plump for the Hurricane.

Aren't we're lucky that we have  these opportunities? You 'FLEW' a Hurricane....

How special is that? How many  people  this  century  can say that?

If you do decide to go for the Hurricane Noel, be aware that it is not proper dual control, only having the control column and an airspeed indicator. 

I agree that we are fortunate to have these opportunities and a week later, I'm still pinching myself!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

If you do decide to go for the Hurricane Noel, be aware that it is not proper dual control, only having the control column and an airspeed indicator. 

I agree that we are fortunate to have these opportunities and a week later, I'm still pinching myself!

That's all you need. Altimeter? Houses getting  smaller, you're  climbing. Houses getting bigger, you're  descending. The rest you can figure out by looking out the window. 🙂

I'm  going to start saving.

• Like 1

What a fabulous day for you, and so nice to see something positive come out of this year. Must admit, these are the first photos of to twin tub Hurri I've seen, and I must admit, it's a nice looking conversion. Old friend of mine was part of the team that restored BE505, and no doubt had a hand in the conversion too. Remember seeing her at Milden before the restoration was started. Right! You've got me eyeing up my stash now, and it's looking decidedly nervous!

Steve

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Right! You've got me eyeing up my stash now, and it's looking decidedly nervous!

Steve

Hi Steve. It was indeed a fabulous day and to be able to share the experience with friends and family was wonderful.

It sounds like your stash should be afraid, very afraid!🤣

You might find this article interesting as your friend worked on the restoration. 

On 9/23/2020 at 9:57 PM, noelh said:

That's all you need. Altimeter? Houses getting  smaller, you're  climbing. Houses getting bigger, you're  descending. The rest you can figure out by looking out the window. 🙂

I'm  going to start saving.

I think that a rudder might be helpful

John

• Haha 2

Waow, But a real heartly felt WAOW !!

Congrats my friend !!

I'm very glad for you and a bit jealous... I must say !!

Congratulations to your good Lady, I know that taking pictures while in flight is not easy at all..

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thank you very much CC! My wife had never used that camera before and had certainly never done any air to air photography, so we were happy with the results. My two friends got some stunning results with their Nikon digital SLRs and I am excitedly waiting for the photo book that I created with their images!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thank you very much CC! My wife had never used that camera before and had certainly never done any air to air photography, so we were happy with the results. My two friends got some stunning results with their Nikon digital SLRs and I am excitedly waiting for the photo book that I created with their images!

God !! I hope that you'll share some wiyh us !!

Can't wait to see it !

Send me a ping if you share some of these pics, please

CC