Fusion 360 - User changes from 1st October 2020

Bonhoff

Hi all,

Despite using CAD for 35 years I've not used Fusion, but thought I'd have a look at to see if I could produce items in it as a toe in the water before I decide to get a 3D printer or not, but I've just received this email from Autodesk with regards to changes to usage of Fusion 360 - Any thoughts?

"Important changes are coming to your Fusion 360 for personal use software that you need to know about.

Effective October 1, 2020, functionality in Fusion 360 for personal use will be limited, and you’ll no longer have access to the following:

Probing, 3 + 2-axis milling (tool orientation), multi-axis milling, rapid moves, automatic tool changes

Multi-sheets, smart templates, output options for drawings (print only).

Download options from public share links

Cloud rendering

Export options including DWG, IGES, SAT, STEP, and DXF (Note: DXF can still be saved via sketch)

Simulation and generative design

Unlimited active and editable Fusion 360 documents (10 doc limit).

Fusion 360 extensions – Generative Design and Manufacturing Extensions

These changes are being made to allow us to scale, align intended usage with the various offerings, support advanced capabilities for Fusion 360 subscribers, and stay true to our guiding principles of democratizing design for everyone.

Fusion 360 for personal use is still free for those of you working on home-based, non-commercial design, manufacturing, and fabrication projects.

For more information about these changes, please refer here and the FAQ.

Thanks again for choosing Fusion 360. Let me know how I can help."

KR's

IanJ

Thanks for pointing us to this change. Probably most important changes are the limitation on export formats and the number of documents.

Those who use it and process files in other applications may have issues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've recently started to use Fusion 360 having received an Elegoo Mars for Christmas and noted their 10 doc limit.  What I haven't worked out is where they store the files so that I can move or delete old ones .  I know about the export functionality to take local copies and I know the masters are stored in the cloud somewhere but how do I see where they are so that I can remove files to an offline archive area that I have completed?

I 'think' I have found a way around the 10 doc limit, although it's early days of testing.  Instead of having a mo el buildin each doc/project, I start and save a generic project, such as Aircraft, and then open separate Components within that heading; such as Gannet and Phantom etc.

Then I open a new project and save it as, say, Maritime and here I start separate components for Ark Royal, Deck tractor and ship's launches and so on.

So far, I am past 10 docs but,  sshhhhh, keep this to yourself! :shutup:

Mike

• 1 month later...

The 10 document limit is in effect now and to be honest it's not too big a deal. You can have more than 10 archived files andwhen you need to edit something, all you have to do is make it editable and achive it when you're done or once you reach your limit and you need to archive something to work on something new.

• Like 1

Yes, I have found the same and it works quite well as the files can be enabled and disabled at the click of a button.  I have about 25 little projects on the go, mostly just experimenting, and I have 10 of those enabled.  Should I want to do some work on any of the archived/disabled others, I just disable one or two of my current ones then enable the archived one that I want to work on. 

Very easy and it means that I could have dozens, if not hundreds, of projects and just enable what I want as I need them.

cheers,
Mike