Revell 1/24 Ferrari 599GTB - Completed

10 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

... just needed to figure out where to flex and pull to get it over the arch liners.  ...

I think there are an awful lot of kits around where this is the case. I've had quite a few which just didn't seem to want to get the body attached, then you find the right place and it's really easy.

Good work on the car to date.

• Thanks 1

Exciting times now, thanks yet again to very speedy service from @JadlamRacingModels I get a new toy to help with painting.

6Xq6lru.jpg

Can't wait to get it covered in paint, but before that the body needs tidying up.  The four corners being the worst culprits, but still not that bad

DuI9iHZ.jpg

The advantage of this kit being given to me, and not being a massive Ferrari fan means I willing to take a few light risks in trying new stuff to hopefully better my results.  So this will also be my first time trying micromesh on the top coat, 6000/8000/12000 grades to see if I can get some some shine to it.  I don't want too much shine, I don't think full scale showroom shine scales down too well, needs to be a bit muted but I still want some reflection for.

I'm practicing techniques before I start on my Impreza, which is a personal project close to my heart so I want it to be bang on.  Hopefully this kit will up my level a bit.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 21:43, johnlambert said:

I don't know how I ever managed to spray anything before I got my Tamiya spray stand, it's a really useful piece of kit.

One of the greatest things I've ever bought, and I've only used it once :D

Very happy with my first sanding run, only one corner needs some minor buffing as you can still see the step slightly.  Also I've gently run the 1200 sandpaper lightly over the surface and changed it from from a fine sandpaper texture to a smooth finish on the primer, so thats a new step to add to my build process on cars when I'm going for a glossier finish.

rRGv32o.jpg

• Like 3

Got the colour on, and I love it (well I would, it is my model :D).  Its a custom mix of Vallejo, 3 Royal Blue, 6 Aluminium, 2 White (I measure in drops).  It will need a very light sanding down in some places, another layer of colour and a final buff before top coat

lxDppEV.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Well, I ended up taking a break from this for two reasons.  One, I was doing the Jadlam sponsored Hawk group build which finished on 13th December.  But just before it started I had already thrown this back in its box in frustration, as I managed to ruin the bonnet paint, and when I resprayed my custom mixed colour it came out slightly different.  Can see it to the naked eye, but can't get a camera to pick it up.  Its subtle but obvious in the right light.  I did a rage quit and moved it out of sight.  I'm going to look at fixing it now the Hawk is finished and off the deck.  I'll respray the whole thing together but I have to mask off some painted detail on the body and bonnet, and repaint my black detail on the wing mirrors, which now have their mirror bits glued in place 😐 

You could just say it's seen a bit of trackday use. I remember the salesman at our garage telling me how when he worked at a Porsche garage they did a lot of resprays of the front ends of cars which had been on the track and got a bad case of gravel rash. Light metallics like this aren't the easiest colours to match so not unreasonable to think that they may not have got it quite right. :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Now Christmas is over and done with, I did finally return to this.  I still can't bring myself to deal with the body just yet.  I know its nothing major in the grand scheme of things, I just can't be bothered to mask all the fiddly bits and I don't really want to repaint them.  So while I muster up the enthusiasm to deal with the body, I made a start on the interior.  The seat backs are carbon fibre, paint guide says to mix black and gold (9:1), but I ordered a couple of sheets of 1:24 scale carbon fibre decals from Jadlam instead which should be here soon.  The rest is going to be light brown leather, grey and black.

So far, just the primer on, but proof I'm getting back to it.

ERv77sz.jpg

• Like 3

On 30/09/2020 at 17:42, HoolioPaulio said:

Well, I dunno about you guys but I think they look a lot better.  

Yes, you did well to remove that chrome.
I find the result really better. 

Edit: Ah ah ah, I didn't see that I was very late in answering, but it doesn't matter. 🤣

Edited by Ghost69
  • Haha 1

On 16/01/2021 at 20:35, Ghost69 said:

Edit: Ah ah ah, I didn't see that I was very late in answering, but it doesn't matter

As far as I'm concerned its never too late for a compliment.

In other news, the body/bonnet and accessories have been resprayed all in one go now.  Normal service is resumed :)

• Like 1

After the previous image the interior did get another coat of light grey primer.  And this is the colour leather I've gone for.  Rather happy with it, goes with the blue body quite well :)

7BUINDD.jpg

• Like 1

Since the last update I have been adding detail on and off between playing Elite Dangerous, and things are going OK.  Pretty happy with the Tamiya carbon fibre decal sheets, they play well with Microset/sol.  There a few minor creases, but I'm happy as I was a bit lazy and did them in one single piece with no cuts to try and retain the pattern.  I'll get some close up shots when I've finished detailing and begin assembly

C5qhS9E.jpg

• Like 4

New skill alert!  Its not perfect, but it is my first successful scratch built part.  After many failed attempts at stretching sprues which I've never done before

yyTojni.jpg

Needs a bit of fine tuning but not bad

Yv6ggDy.jpg

Fits in place well (ish)

1z35avp.jpg

And the pedals went in

8vsxkIx.jpg

• Like 6

Really nice detail work, and you've given me some useful ideas for spraying/drying parts - including having a spray stand - if I ever get more serious and move up from brush painting.

Super impressed with that scratch-built detail part, too!

• Thanks 1

Seat backs are a bit ropey under the microscope of the camera lens, and you can't even see the detail when everything is in place

u6Ke9N2.jpg

Looks fairly decent though when its all in place.  The little nick in the side of the grab handle from the tweezers was barely visible to the naked eye, but now I've seen it on the computer its been fixed

UbOtnIc.jpg

• Like 8

Looking really good so far. - de-chroming the wheels helps a lot. If it were not for the awkward and non-standard wheel mounts and brakes, I'd consider entirely new wheels on it.

I've built this same kit too.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know nothing of modern cars but what kind of a world are we living in where a Ferrari only has two pedals????

Good job on the seat backs though, all that work and they'll never be seen again. The true spirit of car modelling 😀

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, galaxyg said:

I've built this same kit too.

Awesome work, I love the finish.  I still can't get my car bodies shiny and I'm struggling to do it in acrylic, but shooting anything else is not an option for me as I have nowhere ventilated that I can spray.  Unless I go outside on a good day.