Revell 1/24 Ferrari 599GTB - Completed

Finished the strut, its not perfect but after a lot of careful sanding I bent it so had to try and straighten it best I could.  Its made from a length of heavy duty paper clip which was 1.07mm in diameter, clamped in a drill and the end filed down to about 0.54mm ish, then a random connector from my spares bin and a tiny off cut of 1mm thick plasticard.  Masked off the filed down bit to keep it metal, then sprayed it black.

8SW6gco.jpg

The plasticard base sits in a recess, and the other end just sits in a circular hole molded into the bonnet.  Its not accurately positioned, or to scale with the real one for a few reasons.  1, in scale I think it would be too thin to support the load of the bonnet, and 2, I would have had to modify the bonnet and engine bay to get it to sit in the right place.  But it does the job.

53DbsAh.jpg

• Like 5

Bit of a pause on this as I made a mess of the windows.  Not sure what happened, I always brush on thinned MicroGloss to shine up aircraft canopies, gets rid of most of the fine 'spiderweb' scratches, and thinned it levels out really well.  But must be the larger surface area to cover...

G5UHcZA.jpg

So I decided its time to step up my glass game a little.  I ordered a bottle of this off Amazon

WZQvWA8.jpg

I cleaned up all the clear parts with IPA, got them pretty much back to how they started, with maybe a few extra spiderwebs.  Glued some sprue pieces to areas that will be painted black (or covered by the wing mirrors

MkqSjVy.jpg

Dipped them in a cup of the Pledge, let as much as possible drip off, then got them under cover on a piece of kitchen roll to catch the excess

qM3BwbR.jpg

Left them for 24 hours to fully cure (bottle says 8 hours between coats on a floor), and managed to resist the urge to have a peek before the time was up (I'm working from home this week so they were sat next to me all day too 😬).  I think they came out rather well

tqxjAoX.jpg

Just waiting for my new masking tape so I can paint the edges black.  Almost there now.  Can't really rush though, I've got some acrylic sheets to make extra shelves in my display cabinet, but my mate at work who is 3D printing the brackets for them had issues with his printer last week, so I won't get those until next week when we are back in the office :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a little more done on this, but unfortunately for my modelling I finally got my PS5 last Friday so I've been a bit neglectful of my modelling.  Anywho, the windows have been masked and painted, just need a top coat.

Kf781DJ.jpg

• Like 2

Don't often toot my own horn but those windows came out great, super clean lines

HV9JrAR.jpg

I just wish those rear A pillar parts could have been fitted and blended before painting the body, but you can't get the glass in once they in place :(

niXVHXo.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks, although I realised after posting this I forgot to paint the third brake light on the boot lid.  Its had its alu base, once thats dry I'll get the red clear over it and will be good to go.

• Like 1

• HoolioPaulio changed the title to Revell 1/24 Ferrari 599GTB - Completed