Revell 1/72 BK117 "Space Design"

Here is my Revell MBB/Kawasaki BK117 "Space Design" built for the Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB.  Apparently this one, D-HBKS, features a colour scheme designed by Italian Luigi Colani, who is perhaps best known for the classic Canon T-90 camera.  It was built strictly OOB, painted mainly with Vallejo paints, but Tamiya clear blue was also used to create the metallic midnight blue colour (over the top of a mix of Vallejo gunmetal and black).  I really enjoyed this build, even though the decals were a bugger, because I just love the scheme.  It was the reason I impulse bought it while browsing Ebay.

WiP thread

Short and sweet on the pictures, as any more seemed repetitive.

5UbMJIF.jpg

OGZYH1i.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 19

Thanks guys

12 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

You must have used gallons of decal softening and setting solution for that one

10 points to Farmerboy.  Yeah, it took a lot, and even then I gave up on getting everything flat :)

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

is this the ex-Matchbox kit?

I believe it is the rebox of the old Matchbox kit.  Looking at builds I've seen on line though, I think they vastly improved the quality of the decals.  On one very nice build I saw the stars were different sized squares, fairly sizable ones too.

Its a lovely but challenging kit, due to its small size and almost total coverage of decals, two layers thick in some places where markings have to be applied over the colours/stars.  The hardest place was, as you can see, the rainbows around the top/roof windows.  But I love it, looks great to the eye from a normal distance, well lit macro photography does it no favours :D

Paul

• Like 1