Blackpool on a Shelf - Model Tramway

scoopey

Interesting ideas.

I decided to go with Metcalfe due to their die stamping - makes the window edges cleaner. Also having done card craft before there is often a compromise. Ink jet print outs are preferred as they soak into the top layer but then the inks tend to fade worse than a laser jet. Still an interesting place to visit. I also noted if you use the glazing packs the kits get expensive. I had looked at the super quick low relief range but they have no glazing in either.

Just had a pleasant half an hour working through this thread whilst listening in to a particularly boring management meeting on Skype. The concept is brilliant and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I live in Costa del Blackpool so if I can help with any reference pictures during the 'lock down' please give me a shout.

Thanks,

Its more of a "captured feeling" than exact replica. That much is obvious as I'm not making exact reproductions of buildings. Today I had another idea to throw into the mi - sound.

At some point I intend to have some "illuminations" although not sure how the hell I'm gonna do it. A lot seem to have sequenced or chasing which are out. Not that I could not do it but the extra wires running down the lamp posts would be a mess. I though a bit about lighting in the low relief buildings to go along with the street lights and illuminations. Already figured out how to make custom lit shop signage.

Anyway I digressed - one of the shop will be an amusement arcade and whilst they are usually dark from the outside I thought some random flashing lights would do nicely. There is already an Arc welder lighting FX on eBay. This is when I thought wouldn't it be good to have arcade sounds emanating from the building. This is what I remembered as a child walking along the prom. How to reproduce it though seemed tricky but then I figured by RC tanks have sound units in them that use a micro-usb memory card - okay they are more tricky since they play specific files but surely there has to be a simpler unit that will play a sound file. Sure enough those wiley Chinese are selling all sorts of stuff on eBay that will play an MP3 sound file...so looks like I will have my Arcade sounds...and perhaps a bingo caller!!!!

And now I decided to add the primer. Years ago I used Airfix/Humbrol enamels but then switched to Acrylic by the same company and then switched to Vallejo. However I have noted that Acrylics tend to "rub off" so I needed something tougher for the tramway so switched back to Humbrol Enamel. The primer looks a bit rough for a first coat but I think a lot of primes tend to do this anyway...

063 BOS Concrete Prime South BOS 064 Concrete Prime Coat

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a while since I've posted but I have been busy with the infill concreting!
Some of the plasticard I had to rip out between the rails as the UHU glue warped it and caused it to balloon upwards which was a bit odd.

This is the result of 3 x layers of prime coat, 2 layers of top coat enamel paint.
It looked a bit uniform so I used a wash of Vallejo Iraqui sand acrylic but then that made areas a bit too yellow, so I added an umber wash and then two pale grey washes from the Vallejo game color range. These latter three washes I stippled on.

Lastly I added two layers of matt varnish.
Despite the masking the paint leaked underneath and its taken 3 nights to clean the track up to working status again. Overall I am happy with the colour result

066 BOS Concrete Finished South Board 065 BOS Concrete finished North Board

• Like 2

My first building is nearly done - got to eventually add lights and an internal back scene as well as a custom sign. Since the layout is narrow I had to go low relief.
Santa brought be some Metcalfe models. Annoyingly almost all of them will need modifying on some way.

This building will be my fish and chip restaurant. Its modded from 2 x Bank and Shop. The shops are being used elsewhere. Whilst most of the Metcalfe buildings have provision to be modified easily the bank was not designed that way which was annoying for my first building. Due to a triple set of tracks I had to make it thinner and remove 1cm from its width. The centre and left building are almost kit standard with little alteration other than making them thinner. The right section involved flipping the door position from left to right and then rebuilding the top coping stones as they are mirror image. The roof also needed modding quite a bit.

067 BOS Metcalfe Bank Modified

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Not posted in a long time since I've been building buildings since Christmas!

Here we see the main units complete...the need custom signs and other details but they will be added later.

071 BOS Buildings and Pavement 070 BOS Buildings and Paving

The paving has already been started.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I've done an update - been busy with a computer project and a few health issues.

Anyhow I've now finally added and wired my street lamps and added the road markings. The long tangs sticking up are to be used when I add my "illuminations". When I know the exact height the tangs will be trimmed and folded over to cross over to the opposite side of the road. Since one wire is positive and the other negative they'll need an insulator before the attack to the opposite posts!

076 BOS South View 077 BOS North View

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Well as with most model railways, you can do the bulk of the work quickly but its the small things that kill time.
Before finalising the building lighting I needed to figure out my backscenes because once wiring is added it was going to be a pain to keep moving buildings.

I had considered taking a version of street view and using pictures from that. Problem with that is the camera was usually mounted on top of a vehicle and the horizon ends up high. Also trying to patch a photo to fit a specific layout was tricky.
Well I tried another approach. My main hobby is 3d art so I decided to create street scenes that can fit the an exact layout.
Now herein lay another problem - making the low relief buildings extend into the backscene.

Tried to fake it with a substitute "stunt" stand in 3d model.

Did not work.

I therefore built virtual models of the metcalf buildings and used photos of my buildings to make the textures

1 week and 20 trials I have nearly done the first section. Though any backscene can look right from one angle and wrong from others I am happy with the result of this. The hotel on the left for instance does almost look perfectly aligned
It still needs a tweak on the shop side and I used photoshop to fake the double yellow lines on the backscene to match the exact spacing of the actual model!

20210904_193748

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

The BOS is back...after my winter hiatus where I do other things (since I prefer working in daylight), I finally finished the backscene  - actually most of it was finished last year apart from one.

084 BOS backscene 02

If you look closely between the "towers" on the two trams you can see Blackpool Tower in the distance (I photoshopped it onto the backscene!)

085 BOS Backscene 03 086 BOS Backscene 04

087 BOS Backscene 05

• Like 1

And now for some custom illuminated shop signs. This is my homage to "Tron" lol.
After taking this picture I was impressed at how the sign lines up with the backscene - I created the "virtual" shop sign well before I actually made it. I already had the graphics and photoshopped it onto the backscene which featured a virtual copy of the shop used as the arcade.

088 BOS Shopsigns 01

• Like 3

Testing out the sign lights on the Sandpiper hotel.  Out of all the building signage this was the most extensive with 5 lit signs. On the tramway there are only 14 altogether so this building alone has over 1/3.

20220412_220603

This is how I made my shop signs - vinyl laser sticker paper.
Most of the signs are fixed to plasticard light boxes to illuminate from behind. The Manchester hotel is lit from the front. The pub will receive similar treatment as soon as the lights arrive from China (they are external swan neck LED lights and I could not make them for half the price!).

090 BOS Shop signs printout

Sticker sheet!

091 BOS Shop Signs 01

You've already seen this lit!

092 BOS Shop Signs 02 093 BOS Shops Signs 03 094 BOS Shop signs 04 095 BOS Shop Signs 05

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Another update - inevitably the further along you go with a model railway/tramway the less noticeable the changes. I've now wired all the internal lights in the buildings and the signs. Still need interior detailing but I could not help but test out the night scene!

096 BOS Night Test 01 097 BOS Night Test 02 098 BOS Night Test 03 099 BOS Night Test 04 100 BOS Night Test 05
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Well its been a while since I last posted. However when there is only the smaller details to go there is not a lot to post. However I decided to totally upgrade and overhaul my Traversers which entailed ripping out the old ones....

Bye Bye old traverser - and thats not all as the sensor mount is going!

101 BOS Traversers Removed

New traversers are being based on linear bearing rails - I've used two short ones to create a parallel spacing

102 BOS Traverser Bearing Frames

New traverser platforms ready - I retained the original screw drive mount...

103 BOS New Traverser Plates

Spacers made for linear bearing positions

104 BOS Bearing Spacers

And two aluminium profiles to keep them in line - (spacers not yet fixed hence they look a bit drunk!)

105 BOS Traverser Assembly

Two of the bearings in place

106 BOS Traverser Assembly

Spacers in place for second set of bearings

107 BOS Traverser Assembly Spacer Plates

Platform complete - Note you will never mount these perfectly parallel so one side has the bearings able to float and move from side to side. This can only be done when gluing the second set of aluminium profiles and running the platform up and down the rails

108 BOS Traverser Complete

Plastic angle pieces hold the bearings to the the platform

• Like 2

Completed traverser fitted

109 BOS Traverser fitted

The new "detection" sensors are added-I modified Arduino reflection sensors. Thought they are not connected to arduino;s they make make handy modules. Unfortunately the reflection did not work quite well so I separetad the IR LED and put in on the opposite side of the "track" and turned them into break beam detectors which work very well.
Circuits are held in 3D printed uprights...
You have not got a 3d printer.....well neither have I. I designed them in the free online Tinkercad and uploaded the file to Lancashire3D

The old position detectors have been mounted in a 3d printed tray.

And now to the underside...the original microswitch and Cam system has been replaced with a relay board and arduino IR reflector modules.

110 BOS Traverser Electrics

It was a tight squeeze but with the other bank of microswitches gone I was able to use a cable drag conduit to supply power to the detection circuits and power feed to the tracks. This avoids the need for the umbilical.

• Like 1