AMT 1971 Dodge Charger convert to 1974 Charger

chrispisme

Thank you very kindly!

The front bulkhead...we used to call it a firewall until upgrade training said we need to be more professional and auto repair terminology needs to be more technical. So, Firewall became bulkhead because people don't want to hear the word fire used to describe an automotive component, and with that...we don't have an under-hood fire we have an under-hood, undesirable thermal event...

Anyway, the front firew... bulkhead

luphYVQ.jpg

I have to give AMT full marks for details here! from the right, (as viewed) Bendix Hydrovac brake booster, master cylinder with 2 line fittings, 2 speed wiper motor, dual ballast resistor, electronic voltage regulator, brake hydraulic line (silver) in retaining clips, the blower motor and a bit of wiring. Very nice! For my part, I've added the "orange box" high performance ignition module and 2 spare dual ballast resistors (on the far left) because when they fail (which they did) the engine would only run in the "start" ignition switch position, not in "run".

A bit better image of the master cylinder with the "wire" retaining cap spring clip 

cYB5Fht.jpg

• Like 4

Hi again

Moving right along, the bottom of my car was, well, to be honest it was filthy but, in my defense this was a daily driver go to work and race on the weekends type of thing. The engine wasn't dressed in chrome and only mechanical issues were dealt with. I washed the car fairly often but didn't worry about the undercarriage. To that end, I've tried to make the bottom of my car as real as I remember.

The rear axle misted (sweat) oil/grease which the spinning parts would deposit in a axial line on everything in sight, the transmission was the same.

rk6vIGd.jpg

The black discs are rubber floor drain plugs, (again AMT got the details right) the yellow spots are (from the factory) expanding foam sealant oozing from panel joints. The fuel filler was center rear of the fuel tank and fuel would (on hard launch) or on overfill spill over the back of the tank and run forward down the slope of the tank. I won't make the axle or shocks too dirty as they saw routine maintenance

6CGG0RE.jpg

MdYczYq.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrispisme
  • Like 6

Continuing my method (There's a method?) of jumping around in construction I've gotten back to the final drive and suspension system. Having finally determined the shape and mounting of the ralley bar on the rear suspension I've been able to cobble together a rough representation of that assembly.

Here's the ralley bar bent to shape and fitted with bits of brass to simulate the mounting bushings

iP32fhU.jpg

The brass tabs on the axle are left over Luftwaffe seatbelt parts, now standing in as ralley bar mounts

tFnwAR0.jpg

under construction now, the U bolts add a bit of detail

Mo8ykMe.jpg

fitting out...

Lrksn5d.jpg

Still need to add brake hydraulic lines, park brake cables and paint 

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

Thanks! feel free to nick anything here you may like!

I spent a few hours looking for decals for the upholstery, the seats in the car were vinyl with plaid cloth inlay for the cushion (bum) area, I managed to find black and white plaid decals, but mine was blue and red. So...out at the ragged edge of what (I) can do with Tamiya masking tape, I cut lengths of tape into 1mm and .5mm strips, spent about 4 hours (off and on) masking the seats and then spraying them. They aren't exactly plaid (accurate) but as close as I can get to a representation of plaid. All painting done with Tamiya acrylics, semi gloss white for the vinyl, flat white for the cloth and flat blue and flat red for the plaid.

vYXHUst.jpg

flmAzV3.jpg

22xtRFv.jpg

1qvdmDH.jpg

4ssi70o.jpg

Y7HFUSq.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 7

This is interesting. I always fancied these and other Mopars although never had a ride in one. Maybe someday. I have a friend who I call a Mopar nerd and ask for details of these for models. These kits take a bit to make them very correct and this definitely is doing good.

• Like 1

Just found this WIP and what a great build.  Thank you for sharing how you are fabricating all of the detail parts.  I love the way you did the plaid seats.

To answer @johnlambert about Chrysler muscle car orange engine colours, it is a bit confusing.   "Street Hemi orange" was only used on high performance engines (383, 426 and 440) from 1966-71 and the 1970-71 340.  Earlier, a different orange, "Race Hemi orange," was used on the 1962-64 Max Wedge 413 and 426 and on the 1964-65 Race Hemi 426.  

Lou in California.

Edited by louiex2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for looking and helping out with the information!

I've got some interior work underway today,  while I had the red out for the interior I added the "over-spray" to the under-body/ inner wheel tubs

a couple of images of progress;

hTGsKS5.jpg

flocking added to the floor, a friend told me it looks more like carpet and how to apply it. I have to say, I do like it.

GGNYorf.jpg

Although, the floor of my car wasn't usually this clean.

Some of the tape left over from the seat painting;

trO94D8.jpg

Edited by chrispisme
typo
  • Like 4

still tinkering on the interior, I've added seatbelts to many dozens of model aircraft but, never to a model car. Well, to be honest I only have 5 model cars in my collection, this will be the 3rd one built...Since I was a teenager that is. 

I've cobbled together inertia lock seatbelts and latches from left over P.E. from a 1/32 Ju 88 

1LSzXnw.jpg

DmQQXG7.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

You're doing excellent work here sir! Sure helps that you seem to know your way around the actual vehicle 🙂 ... Your carpeting looks real good and the plaided seats are magic!

• Like 1

Wow, did they really have inertia rear seat belts in 74?  I think my dads 73 Triumph was our first car with inertia front belts!

Nice detail modelling, I’m building Revells 68 Charger and finding it “a bit old school” as regards fit and finish - I never bothered with filler back in the day on AMT etc that seemed much easier to find in the UK when I was a teen.  At least the comments above make me feel better about painting the 440 Orange - a blue motor in a blue car model wasn’t going to zing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyW said:

Magnificent! 

Did your car have the seat belt interlock buzzer? I had a  '74 Camero with one fitted. It drove me crazy, it got dumped pretty quickly.

Tony.

The original had a Key in buzzer and seat belt starter interlock, Chrysler’s way of saying if you don’t buckle up you don’t drive! The starter would not turn if the seat belts were not fastened...a safety device that was easily and quickly defeated.

On 01/10/2020 at 08:33, louiex2 said:

Just found this WIP and what a great build.  Thank you for sharing how you are fabricating all of the detail parts.  I love the way you did the plaid seats.

To answer @johnlambert about Chrysler muscle car orange engine colours, it is a bit confusing.   "Street Hemi orange" was only used on high performance engines (383, 426 and 440) from 1966-71 and the 1970-71 340.  Earlier, a different orange, "Race Hemi orange," was used on the 1962-64 Max Wedge 413 and 426 and on the 1964-65 Race Hemi 426.  

Lou in California.

Not quite - there are a few pages on the web that get this wrong.  Street Hemi orange was reserved for Hemis prior to the 1969 model year; 383 and 440 engines were turquoise.   From 1969 - 71, the high performance 383 and 440 were Street Hemi Orange; standard 383 and 440 still turquoise in 1969, blue in 1970 - 71.   From 1972, all engines were blue.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Not quite - there are a few pages on the web that get this wrong.  Street Hemi orange was reserved for Hemis prior to the 1969 model year; 383 and 440 engines were turquoise.   From 1969 - 71, the high performance 383 and 440 were Street Hemi Orange; standard 383 and 440 still turquoise in 1969, blue in 1970 - 71.   From 1972, all engines were blue.

A real quagmire....I know my buddies were miffed at me for painting a 440 6 pack "stock blue"

A couple of friends toying with their rides did some wild paint work as well, One friend painted his engine to match the body colour of his (1969 convertible Impala) metallic black.

A 1972 Chevy nova, gloss black on top white underneath, by underneath I mean the bottom of the car, chassis springs axle etc. (this looked kinda odd to me) not something I'd recommend.

Another with a candy apple red 72 Firebird also with a candy apple red driveline (engine, trans, driveshaft and rear axle)...what can I say apparently the drugs were great back then..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chrispisme said:

A real quagmire....I know my buddies were miffed at me for painting a 440 6 pack "stock blue"

A couple of friends toying with their rides did some wild paint work as well, One friend painted his engine to match the body colour of his (1969 convertible Impala) metallic black.

A 1972 Chevy nova, gloss black on top white underneath, by underneath I mean the bottom of the car, chassis springs axle etc. (this looked kinda odd to me) not something I'd recommend.

Another with a candy apple red 72 Firebird also with a candy apple red driveline (engine, trans, driveshaft and rear axle)...what can I say apparently the drugs were great back then..

Wish I could remember those day better, but I was to young then.

1 hour ago, Six97s said:

Like to see the turquoise colour.

The journey continues.

Early test fitting of the interior module looked promising. Following the instructions, I assembled the sidewalls to the floor then the dash to the sidewalls. Sliding the assembled interior assembly into the shell revealed the test fit was lying. The sidewalls had a gap between the interior and exterior obvious at the window sill area...not truly unexpected. I removed the interior assembly and broke the glue joint at the dash to sidewalls and added shims to the joint, this caused a twist in the sidewalls from front to back...back to the drawing board.

I re-removed the dash, sanded the join smooth again, broke the sidewalls away from the floor and drilled 2 holes on each end of the dash and sidewalls, pinned it with brass rod allowing the dash to remain in place but float side to side between the walls, also giving a more realistic representation of the fit of the dash in the real car, as it didn't abut the sidewalls either with a  space between the dash and side panel 

Taking a break from the interior, I began working on the exterior...again

So, here's my "solution" to the interior issue (so far)

sV26sDN.jpg

M09trtf.jpg

Vallejo "rust effect" paint sprayed onto the roof, will be semi gloss or more gloss than semi but not full gloss...vinyl roof

ilLOhTH.jpg

• Like 3

Hahaha mine was like that. Armorall and/or baby oil to get a shine on that vinyl top...

Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) has been living with me lately. I think he may have gone out for a while so I've got a bit more work done on the Charger.

I've got the grilles and tail lights done, although crude they look more like the prototype than the 71 Charger parts (best I can do with my limited abilities)

CURqysn.jpg

PP9rVs6.jpg

Tamiya lacquer LP-21 "Italian Red" just finished the wet coat and will be set aside for a couple of days to cure then polish up.

Tr6GR83.jpg

sqjGCUN.jpg

Thanks for looking

Helpful suggestions accepted.

• Like 5