Balkenkreuz on Normandy Stug III type dilema

MigModeller

For the first 3 months of the Normandy campaign, there were seven units equipped with the Stug III, according to the publication A SOUND LIKE THUNDER by Dennis Oliver.  Within the 33 pages of photos and illustrations and where visible,  Stugs have the standard white cross with black outline.   The only black cross (no white center) is illustrated on a 251/1 half-track belonging to  SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 1.   A further variation of the national marking, appears to have originally been just the white outline, but also has black centered within the white.  This is illustrated on a 251/9 half-track belonging to 2.SS Panzer Div.

regards,

Jack

I see what you mean now.  Can't say I've seen the cross used like that as an air recognition symbol - it certainly wasn't standard placement for this marking.   By the time of Normandy,  the Allies controlled the air, so a German vehicle was more likely to be spotted by enemy aircraft than being attacked by friendlies from the skies.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

1. afair the Airfix Stug III is based on a preserved Finnish Army one at Bovington

2. afaik the Finnish Army carried a black & white broken-arm cross on their AFVs, including on the top side. One of our Finnish modeller members could confirm or deny this

3. I've had a look through a few of my military history books which cover not only the Normandy campaign, but Op. Dragoon and the Afrika Korps and in none of the photos of German AFV do I see a cross on the top of any. The last I see of top markings is in the 1940 French campaign, but it may have been carried the Greece / Jugoslavia campaign. There after it becomes less and less.

4. Its my thought that Airfix translated that Finnish Army black & white broken-arm cross into a German Army Balkankreuze including its placement on the topside

• Like 1