Sturmpanzer Brummbar...... At the Disco ?

Longbow

Hi Guys !! Hope everyone is doing well !!

This will hopefully be a quick build, with main focus on the paintwork. 

This is the Tamiya kit, which somehow came with free Japanese hair. 

Tamiya also  supplied a couple of very nice figures with the kit, and I’m pretty sure that one will get used, with a new head. 

I find it interesting that Tamiya do Not supply the disc camouflage as an option. 

Here’s the kit. 

spacer.png

While researching projects, I came up with a few Brummbar pix sporting Disc camouflage. 

This should be an interesting challenge, but I have a few ideas. 

Hungary, late ‘44, early ‘45 ?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ardennes offensive, maybe ?

spacer.png

This last one could be anywhere. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

So let’s look at the kit. 

This was actually started yesterday, as it arrived. I then got called out to work yesterday afternoon, and didn’t get back home until 9:30pm ish. 

The plastic is the usual sand color, but seems to be very soft/soapy. 

spacer.png

Free Japanese hair.... No girl attached :(

spacer.png

Lower hull flew together. 

spacer.png

What is this gap ?? Very odd for a Tamiya Kit !!

spacer.png

Very disconcerting !!!

spacer.png

Rear plate with minor dings to the exhaust. 

spacer.png

And this is where I finished, last night. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

The main armament is a little odd in construction, and has the rifling depicted inside. 
I found a small brush handle was the right size to slip inside, while it dried. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Typical Tamiya fit. 
The casement clicks into place with zero gap. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Sarcasm, moi?

If you go any quicker mate, you run the risk of running out of models to build, it’s not the done thing you know! :rules:

That is sort of true lol....

I had actually planned to start about 10 years ago, but work and life got in the way. 
My compressor and airbrush were brought back then, and never used until now. 
My compressor bay have a dry rotted diaphragm :D

Parts of my stash date back from then, and all though not a large stash, it’s about 30 kits. 
In between then and now, I watched every single YT vid I could find, on modeling. 
At the same time, I was working two jobs, young child, as we started late, and whatever spare time I had was spent on drawing. 

So, I’m ready to start modeling:D

Here is one of mine from 2003. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

Hi longbow, I just picked this kit up myself with the PE upgrade. It'll on the bench sometime next year.

I was reading in my research that they all had Zimmerit....but as you see in the pic you posted above, some did not. I was going to get the Zim if it was available, but once I found that pic of the drive sproket'less one's; I'm going to do the same. Looking good so far mate...and as you say, nice fit Tamiya as usual.

Simon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi longbow, I just picked this kit up myself with the PE upgrade. It'll on the bench sometime next year.

I was reading in my research that they all had Zimmerit....but as you see in the pic you posted above, some did not. I was going to get the Zim if it was available, but once I found that pic of the drive sproket'less one's; I'm going to do the same. Looking good so far mate...and as you say, nice fit Tamiya as usual.

Simon.

Thanks Simon !!

I did actually consider ordering the Zim sheets too, but then decided against it. 
The fit is absolutely locked on. 
The only real gap I’ve found is the Idler brace on the rear lower hull. Everything else has dropped in. 

AAnnnddd it's finished...... :D........your just making us all look bad ...this is just not cricket sir......on another note any ideas on how you will achieve the disc camo...i had a few ideas about how to do this as i was thinkin about disc for one of my Panthers.

Looking really good so far ....good job your using still photos and not film or i'm sure the only thing we would see is a blur of tools and kit parts flying together :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

AAnnnddd it's finished...... :D........your just making us all look bad ...this is just not cricket sir......on another note any ideas on how you will achieve the disc camo...i had a few ideas about how to do this as i was thinkin about disc for one of my Panthers.

Looking really good so far ....good job your using still photos and not film or i'm sure the only thing we would see is a blur of tools and kit parts flying together :D

Thanks Steve !! :D

For the disc camo, I brought one of those single hole punch tools from Staples. 

I think I’m going to try a mix of templates and masking tape. 

The templates will be in negative, for the green and brown, and the masking tape will be positive discs and in-between shapes for minor masking. 

It’s a little hard to explain what I see in my head.......

The voices are telling me how to do it ...... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You mean its not finished yet :o 

I've just finished the last bogie on the M10, and you are still cutting plastic , OMG ;)

All joking aside it looks a great kit, the bottom of the hull is from one of their older PZ IV's that came out a while ago 

so its probably not up to the same engineering standards as the total new releases that Tamiya are producing now. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Just caught up with this one now Great start and its almost finished before it's started!

Nice work so far 

Roger

Good to see you, Roger !!

Okay, I highly recommend this as a quick, very fun, build. 
There are a lot of things you can do for interest points, but it’s still an interesting, different vehicle, out of the box. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Looking in with interest. For me, the Brummbar is one of the most beautiful German SPGs. I also started building a similar, but a previous modification of the Hobby Boss 80135 (ex Tristar) with an interior.

And I really liked the drawing, it would be very interesting to see more

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Looking in with interest. For me, the Brummbar is one of the most beautiful German SPGs. I also started building a similar, but a previous modification of the Hobby Boss 80135 (ex Tristar) with an interior.

And I really liked the drawing, it would be very interesting to see more

Thanks for the interest. 
Here’s two that both sold. 

Darkness on the edge of Town. 

spacer.png

And a Barn Owl. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

holy crap those pictures are stunning.... 

the Brummbar is very nice too, I see you wern't tempted to do home made zimmerit ;-). Looking forward to progress (and RFI tomorrow I guess)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

holy crap those pictures are stunning.... 

the Brummbar is very nice too, I see you wern't tempted to do home made zimmerit ;-). Looking forward to progress (and RFI tomorrow I guess)

Lmbo Rob !!

I’m not that quick !! :D

• Like 1