Eduard Spitfire mk.1

Doccur

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

I’m pretty certain the paint crazed because of the residue the painters masking tape you used leaves behind.  Got that tee shirt myself 🤦‍♂️

Drat! Last time I use that stuff... I was trying to be cheap and not use swathes of Tamiya tape 😂

Ash

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

Oh, and definitely fix the seam, now you’ve noticed it, it’s the only thing you’ll see when looking the model.  I’ve got that tee shirt too! 😂

Agreed on that! It will be painful but worth it I’m sure! 

@Biggles87 They are a bit pricey but definitely worth it I think! 

Well I bit the bullet and decided I was going to need to respray a bit anyway so the upper cowling had a sand down and I applied some mr dissolved putty. Hopefully this rectifies the issue! 

50908900926_05bd5a16dc_b.jpg

Cheers 

Ash

• Like 2

Agreed Jimbo,

I am slightly less annoyed at this one due to the fact I already have to respray areas. Plus might as well finish it off as good as I can! 

Ash

Right, so after sanding in the area I resprayed but couldn’t blend it so sanded to panel lines and resprayed using those just to make it easier. I think I have eliminated the seam, but I thought the same last time so we will see! 

50915220328_22e1039346_b.jpg

50915220378_498bd8f54b_b.jpg

Hopefully the respray goes without a hitch. 

Ash

• Like 2

Hi all,

resprayed the dark green. The crazing happened again, so I reprimed the area and respayed green. Hopefully this has fixed the issue! I have used Blu-tack to mask this time because the masking tape takes far too long! 

50929567113_ccfd30556a_b.jpg

50929567108_236942038f_b.jpg

Cheers 

Ash

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Full marks for persistence, I would probably have jumped on it by now.

Hope it works out this time.

John

Thanks John! 

It has been a major consideration as i already have the next builds lined up... but I stick to my rule of finishing one before starting the next, even if it does go ️s up! 

Cheers

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Haha 1

Great recovery and perseverance Ash. I agree completely with the one kit at a time mantra. A great way to avoid "Shelf of Doom" builds.

Sorry, I am late to the party and missed your cowling drama. You may be interested in my approach a future builds. I have since done this with other Eduard Spitfires, including the new Mk. I, and in all cases the outcome has been very good. I make the cowling as a separate drop in piece finishing it off the model. In the linked build I did it this so I could paint it separately and discovered the technique works so well and the fit is so good, that I now apply the method to all my Eduard builds and the Barracuda cast resin is still in the box.

Further, if you are concerned about ghost seams, for me, there is only one solution and that is a thin bead of feathered in CA.   

Ray

• Like 2

Thanks @Ray_W

I got this from watching my father build up a vast amount of kits, only a handful of which he seemed to finish. Naturally the ones he didn't want anymore would be handed down to me!

With the cowling, I may have to try that technique on my mk XVI, as its probably going to be High Speed Silver, any little imperfection will show. So CA may be the order of the day... The Brassin cowling I bought will probably not fit, I did think the price was suspiciously low when i bought it!

Love the 8 by the way mate (no rhyme intended), terrific modelling!

Cheers,

Ash 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Respray went fairly well, but as usual if you have to rework stuff, it doesn’t look as good in your eyes 😔

A few touch ups done and this is where I am: Gloss coated with Future / Pledge. I sprayed this for the first coat but brushed a couple more coats on as this is considerably easier. 

50956024448_f76f97b538_b.jpg

With the decals, I am going to try peeling the carrier film off, but rather than ️s it up on the spitfire I’ve got this spare fuselage half of the 1/32 special hobby Buffalo I built last year (they give you two distinct fuselages with the kit!). So having used this to try out some Vallejo Curtiss equivalent colours for a p-40 I am doing next, I gloss coated it and am going to try the decals on this first. 

50956729356_f2812956c5_b.jpg

I swear I will lose the plot if anything else goes wrong with this build! 

Ash

• Like 2

Hi all,

Decalling is underway, bit of a long process this as there are a few stencils and I’m quite a slow decaller. If that’s even a word. Got the rest of the stencils to do and then clear coat over the top. 

Huge thanks to @Ray_W for sending me over replacement roundels to replace the ones I cocked up! 

50974494211_803ce40176_b.jpg

50973799013_aae861c09e_b.jpg

For some reason my setting solution has clouded my clear coat a little... hopefully this isn’t as noticeable after I’ve gone over it! 

Also:

The New Eduard Decals

I had absolutely no joy peeling them (This is how I cocked up the roundel). I tried with setting solution on my test piece. Didn’t work. Tried after clear coating and leaving to dry for 24 hours and again no joy. 

So I just applied them like normal decals. The thicker film makes them easier to mess around with. This is an advantage for someone as cack handed as me who can break the thinner decals. The decals themselves have conformed nicely to the surface detail but I am worried the carrier film will still be visible after clear coating these. 

Interested to hear others experiences with these! 

Cheers

Ash

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Doccur said:

Interested to hear others experiences with these! 

Hi Ash,

Good to see it all coming together so nicely for you. 

My experience in terms of removing the film was the same as yours. As this was not originally planned by Eduard - a serendipitous result for some - I gave up. and painted the roundels. I used alternate supply for codes and serials. I did find the Eduard stencilling went down very well indeed and was really happy with these. The carrier film was no more visible than others and , in fact, possibly better than most.

What decal solution do you use?

Ray

Hi Ray,

I thought as others had done it, be rude not to give it a go! But it’s too much faff it seems. 

They seems to be settling nicely, still getting through the stencils. The decal solution is the one from Mig:

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/ultra-decal-fix-decal-set-bundle/

Never had issues with them before. 

As is say though, this may disappear underneath a clear coat so fingers crossed. 

Cheers 

Ash

Hi Ash,

I'm very late for this party but I enjoyed reading your build from the beginning. Great work and top marks for perseverance! Looks excellent with the decals going on.

This is a kit I also have in the stash, so it's very useful to see what's in store for me one day.

Best wishes for the remainder.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help and support. Couldn’t have done anywhere near a good enough job without you guys. 

I have powered through the last few weeks to get her finished. Decals bedded down nicely under the varnish so that’s a relief. Did the aerial with uschi thread, first time using it and it was a dream to use. Weathered with revell weathering powder and Mig ‘rubber’ with white drybrushed for the exhaust staining. I will be posting an RFI soon so I hope you enjoy the finished article. 

51025536221_b2bc81498e_b.jpg

51025638177_475b67fefc_b.jpg

51024801493_138e4e4108_b.jpg

51025638307_7a8f5930b2_b.jpg

51025536406_9f77fc3ec9_b.jpg

On to the next project! 

Ash

RFI - here 

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 7

I couldn’t resist John! 

I am doing a 1/48 Tornado for my colleague as a surprise retirement gift. Doing it as The ‘pinky’ tornado gulf war commemorative scheme. 

Not something I had plans to do but should be a fun divergence from my normal area of interest! 

Ash