Eduard Spitfire mk.1

Doccur

On 07/10/2020 at 08:38, Biggles87 said:

I don’t have this kit, but is the landing light control which fits under the left side of the instrument panel included? This was quite prominent on early Spitfires. I also see that you have painted the ridged panels below the entry door ( they were actually covers for control lines ) in black 

Hi John!

i don’t believe they include this so someone a bit more committed than me should make an effort to scratch one. Also regarding the black it’s what Eduard call out in these areas so foolishly I followed the destructions! 

Thanks for the radiator advice they look awfully fiddly! @treker_ed

Well here we are today;

50441680723_fcc348521d_b.jpg

50441923921_ae70f38f01_b.jpg

I already closed the fuselage halves the other day so too late to repaint the black parts 😭 

I must have put something together wrong because the join just ahead of the cockpit wasn’t as great as when I dry fitted it... nightmare. I filled this with a little superglue so hopefully that will be adequate!

I also removed the rest of the of the flaps. Let’s play spot the difference! 😂

50441240038_9f3cbcdc19_b.jpg

I accidentally lopped off a tiny bit of the trailing edge which disappeared into the ether otherwise known as the carpet monster! Damn my ham-fistedness...

Anyway I hope to get more done this weekend but I’m off to Duxford and there are supposed to be a few Mk 1 Spits flying! Hopefully the rain will hold off and I’ll get a couple of snaps and see some nice displays 🤞🏼

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Doccur said:

Thanks for the radiator advice they look awfully fiddly!

Hi Ash,

I have built a few of the Eduard Spitfires and this latest Mk. I as you know. As others have suggested, I usually do the same and build the radiator assembly on the wing and yet was still never totally happy with the result. My usual criticisms of the Eduard Spitfires being the weak outer aileron connection and the radiator assembly. This time, I did it per Eduard instructions (OMG yes, followed the instructions)  being careful that all was together properly, faces flush and ensuring the front and rear radiator faces were in the correct locations and orientations (you have those arrows for orientation). I found by then inserting the glued final assembly into the wing and ensuring it was well forward (push in and push forward action) gave an excellent result.  I now plan to do it this way in future.  I pinned the outer position on the aileron.

John @Biggles87 raised the question of the landing lamp control. Yes, not supplied. This you need to scratch build. Also the same for the fuel cock levers to the right of the compass. That is, if you want this level of detail.  

Shame about that top cowling gap. I can't see any issues in the pictures. Hopefully a good recovery with the CA.

Have fun at Duxford. 

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

This time, I did it per Eduard instructions (OMG yes, followed the instructions) 

Have fun at Duxford. 

I shall have to give these instruction things a read then Ray! 😂

Thanks also, it was a nice day, rain held off for the most part and got to see all the flying. 

Got a few nice pics of the Spits on show:

50445698013_5b87e18114_b.jpg

50446574652_3f86ea6f15_b.jpg

50446572407_a12f13ca5c_b.jpg

50446389306_b481dda3df_b.jpg

50445697998_f9ba3faff8_b.jpg

This man decided he wanted a lift! Doesn’t look too comfy to me 😂

50446572412_f47d8e2536_b.jpg

Ash

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, another small update:

50501621798_c5e4af81bb_b.jpg

Undercarriage bays assembled and sprayed black and white, respectively. I used Vallejo model color for these, which I thinned, but they seemed to dry on the tip of the airbrush very quickly which was infuriating. I got there in the end though. 

Inner surfaces of the winds was also filed down and thinned to accommodate the flaps. I can’t say I’m enjoying the process, but I will judge on the finished result which will hopefully be ok! 

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 3

Hi all,

more progress to report. I have something that is starting to resemble a Spitfire! 

50520282488_9d8d13ea6c_b.jpg

On dry fitting and reading other builds the kit had a perfect fit, which I was looking forward to doing. Or more accurately I was looking forward to less filling and sanding!! 

Due to the nature of the PE flap set and it’s placement, it restricts the fit of the Lower wing where it blends into the lower fuselage:

50521004876_eb4d3918b5_b.jpg

A bit of CA and some careful forcing made it into a relatively good fit and join:

50520282453_843e8d20a6_b.jpg

I shall probably think twice before using one of these flaps sets again as it’s certainly makes the kit into more of a challenge than id hoped! I guess that’s why they call it Modelling and not Assembling! 😂

I hope all is well with everyone in these strange times. 

Ash

• Like 3

Hi @Troy Smith,

having looked through various sources I cannot determine definitively what colour the flaps should be. I have seen either interior green or aluminium paint used. Using the same logic as the cockpit I would have though they would be aluminium. 

Could you shed any light on this please? 

TIA

Ash

3 hours ago, Doccur said:

Using the same logic as the cockpit I would have though they would be aluminium. 

Could you shed any light on this please? 

up until the switch to all grey green interiors, they were aluminium, as were all the internal areas apart from the cockpit wall to seat bulkhead and engine bearers, see other pics

This screen grab from the Spitfire maintenance film discussed. 

50530233671_b27664bd80_b.jpgSpitfire maintenance flap inspection by losethekibble, on Flickr

as can be seen, the cockpit door is grey green, and the flap interior is aluminium dope.

in this famous image, the aluminium paint can be seen on the gun hatch in the wing, and just one the inside of the radio hatch,  with grey green on cockpit door

3052829500_b0b527c484_b.jpgSpitfire in England by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

on this, aluminium dope again on gun hatch, and in the ammo boxes in left foreground.

4181500566_66b201d45b_b.jpgSpitfire in England. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

HTH

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Finally more progress! I have spent a little while assembling the last bits of the airframe and ensuring all the seams are dealt with. Everything fitted like a dream. My issue with the bit of plastic that broke off at the wing root was dealt with a piece of scrap plastic that was sanded to shape and blended in with CA. I havent used CA much for blending in before this kit but it is growing on me as quite a useful tool:

50544651168_305c277293_b.jpg

50544651248_1cd7a0f5ee_b.jpg

So after sufficient sanding (only required due to my own incompetence) I got a light coat of Vallejo PU pimer sprayed on.

50572493732_1e77c5bcac_b.jpg

Unfortunately some areas required some more attention, such as the top of the cowling:

50572359456_87bf228c95_b.jpg

And this is where I am now, filler applied and waiting a rub down:

50572359276_6cdf703b43_b.jpg

50572359341_97143434f5_b.jpg

Can't wait to start getting some colour on her!

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, been a while since an update. Here we are currently:

50666541127_cf0bfe3dfb_b.jpg

(sorry for the poor quality) 

Been so long since my last update as I sprayed white on the wrong wing and had to rectify the situation 🤦🏻‍♂️

So here we are anyway. Vallejo black, white and aluminium on the underside. Going to mask and get the canopy on before I spray the topside colours. 

Going to bash on with a Whif hawk in the Hawk GB now, so might be a few weeks until my next update. 

Ash

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Long time no update... haven’t been playing with any plastic for a while, but decided to crack out the spitfire this evening. Did a few touch ups on the underside, Vallejo paint is somewhat delicate I’ve found! 

Masked off the canopy with the pre cut masks, had an issue with the rear canopy mask where I had to trim a bit down (perhaps I used it wrong I don’t know) but otherwise they were a dream to use. 

50867381028_9eecb5e215_b.jpg

Put some restrained masking fluid on the wing roots over some Aluminium for wear and chipping. Also got the majority of the underside masking done in preparation hopefully some dark earth tomorrow!

50867381063_6371bdf514_b.jpg

Hope everyone is well 

Cheers

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 5

Hi all, 

masked up the spit today: 

50888889352_c37c666273_b.jpg

50888769741_94b42974df_b.jpg

Also finally got some top colours on! Modelmaster acrylic dark earth sprayed free hand before masking up for the Dark green. 

50888054373_0eb6441679_b.jpg

Looks a bit pale in the light but I find it’s a good match. 

Cheers

Ash

• Like 4

Hi all,

I have masked up for the Dark Green... took me quite a long time today! I can see why people pay for the pre cut masks now 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unfortunately I noticed some ‘Orange-Peel’ on the dark earth in a couple of places which I will have to address. 

50894471198_6933c09982_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

• Like 4

I’m a bit late to your build thread and it looks great. I’m doing the Tamiya mk1 and am a step behind you, hoping to start painting this week. Interesting to see the difference between the kits and how the flaps turn out. I’m looking forward to see how you get on.

James

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Sprayed the Dark Green today, went on ok. Also did a bit of post-shading, the first time I’ve tried this. Peeled off all the masking and was quite happy, bit of touching up to do here and there! 

50899107162_f61dab4946_b.jpg

50898991601_b1e8323085_b.jpg

50898277383_ff4b669931_b.jpg

Annoyingly the paint has crazed.. so I will have to go over this... any ideas what has caused this please guys?

50899131192_8794030726_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

• Like 2

Thanks @bigbadbadge

The nice thing for me is that I know I can do better!

There are certain areas painted aluminium but the cracking of the paint is what’s causing it show through... I think I just need to be more patient when spraying a second layer of paint. 

I am wondering whether to bite the bullet and attack the still slightly visible seam on the upper cowling at the same time! 

Hard to get a photo of it but you can just see a faint line. 

50901539083_ec7e39a44d_b.jpg

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 1