Eduard Spitfire mk.1

Doccur

Hello everyone. 

It’s about time I kicked off my first build in the WIP section. All of my previous’ builds have been in the Group Builds section but I wanted to do something different. (Mainly because the aircraft I am building falls out of the Battle of Britain GB remit)

I will be building this:

50352148441_bb90115ef1_b.jpg

Eduard’s brand new 1/48 Spitfire. I will not post any sprue shots as many of those have been put up recently. To put simply, the kit looks lovely in the box and after a dry fit of the fuselage halves it appears to fit exquisitely too. 

I will be utilising the Eduard PE flap set: 

50352148516_9b00521826_b.jpg

Something which I have never dabbled in.. so that may be a horror story in the making. (I am aware these wouldn’t usually be deployed on the ground) The aircraft I hope to depict is an aircraft Douglas Bader flew when with 222 squadron in May 1940. 

50352306877_efa636497d_b.jpg

Any info as to the fidelity of this colour scheme would be appreciated. Specially would the silver area be natural metal or silver lacquer?

As usual, feel free to dip in where you like, all comments will be well received although I am no rivet counter!!!

Cheers

Ash

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Doccur said:

222 squadron in May 1940. 

I don't know if there is a pic of P9443, or if Eduard have gone for a 'best guess'  from available data, @lasermonkey may know.

the reason I say best guess, is P9317 ZD-A, was damaged and force landed at Le Touquet airfiedl on 1 June 1940, and was captured. And, extensively photographed

this shows the Aluminium paint and red band under nose

post-1-0-91469200-1366313013.jpg&key=ce1

post-1-097461700%25201284668581.jpg&key=

There are  more photos here, and give a good feel for a plane from the squadron in the same era,   if you did this actual plane it would be a good excuse for dropped flaps ;) 

interesting thread on the pilot as well. 

6 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Spitfires of that period were painted with aluminium paint (source Camouflage and Markings 39 - 45)

the reference Iain refers to is available here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

well worth a read,  still one of the best guides on the subject.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't found any photos of P9443 on my computer, though I haven't checked any of my books as yet. However, on the Fündekals Early Spitfires Pt 2 sheet this machine is included and they mention several details (including the red stripe) that infers that they have seen a photo. I have found them to be amongst the better decal manufacturers when it comes to research, so I would trust them in this case.

I would like to see that photo though!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou all for you help, those photos are a great guide for my painting! @Troy Smith

Specifically I am glad you can see the undercarriage doors are the underside colours. 

I hadn’t realised how much of a :worms: these aircraft were before now! 

Hoping to get the cockpit sprayed this weekend so will post some pics then. 

Ash

• Like 1

Well, plastic has been cut and paint sprayed. 

The parts are designed very well and fit together excellently. Some of the PE is a bit fiddly but does just the job. After getting a few parts together I sprayed some Vallejo polyurethane primer and then after that I sprayed Mig Ammo Interior green and Vallejo aluminium. Can’t wait to get a wash on and really bring out all that lovely detail. 

On a side note the interior green looks a bit pale to me (I’m used to Humbrol 78) can anybody vouch for the authenticity of the shade?

50364373111_bb9bfa2316_b.jpg

50364539967_42944137e9_b.jpg

Ash

• Like 4

Had a little more time to tinker with the spitfire this evening... had a nice couple of hours painting and a little bit of assembly. Got the two lap belts onto the seat and also put together the instrument panel... what a lovely piece that is! Here we are at close of play: 

50376851762_4663d3e22f_b.jpg

That’s the good news 😬

The bad news is that I went to use an enamel wash on the other fuselage half and it reacted very badly with the paint! 😭 so long story short I will now have to repaint the other side of the fuselage, fortunately I didn’t apply the wash anywhere else so the job isn’t too large :

50376851827_9a42cdc326_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash 

• Like 3

Well it’s been a week since my last update so here we are:

I resprayed the side of the fuselage interior that I mucked up. Did some more detail painting including drybrushing and a grey wash (acrylic this time) 😓

I added some copper wire and deviated from the instructions a little bit by adding the spare lightbulb holder another piece of widgetry. I used @Ray_W’s build as inspiration for this. 

50401409991_5607e2e0e7_b.jpg

50401407191_4ec809b461_b.jpg

50401419216_1e45116c19_b.jpg

Whilst doing this I also kept myself busy by cutting off the flaps to make way for the PE set... easy does it!!! 😬😬 Eduard provide two templates for the cutting which fit excellently and with which I held in place with tape. Quite a tedious job but one which will be worth it in the end! ( if I don’t balls it up!) 

50401581817_696fe8b2db_b.jpg

50400713158_1598fe6952_b.jpg

I haven’t even finished one side yet! 

Any comments are welcome!

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 5

Hi Ash, 

You're making nice progress. Just a small correction. You have duplicated the reflector gunsight bulbs and the Indicator Light Morse Key. With the hand pump undercarriage there is no need for them high on the starboard wall just to the left of the remote contactor. They were moved there with the motor driven hydraulics. Eduard represent them already, correctly, in the lower sidewall. Morse key below the remote contactor and spare bulbs forward. 

Ray.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

You have duplicated the reflector gunsight bulbs and the Indicator Light Morse Key. 

Rats! Now I look closer I can see them! Luckily it’s a pretty easy fix. Thanks for your help! I am enjoying your build by the way! I am tentative about using these Eduard Decals however...

Ash

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doccur said:

I am tentative about using these Eduard Decals however...

😬 I share your concern. Actually, the top side roundel went on quite nicely. I think with perseverance the result would be quite nice. 

Ray

• Like 1

Just now, Matt_ said:

I've got this kit waiting in the [never ending?] build queue, so I shall tag along and see how things go if I may.

Matt, move it up the queue, it's a delight. Ray

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Matt, move it up the queue, it's a delight. Ray

Yessir! It's a toss-up next between this and the Tamiya MP4/5B that I'm waiting for some aftermarket for. Maybe I'll just start both. 🤔

EDIT: I shall also check out your build. 👀

Edited by Matt_
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

I've got this kit waiting in the [never ending?] build queue, so I shall tag along and see how things go if I may. :popcorn:

You’re very welcome Matt!

Also I second Ray’s comments! Move it up the queue it’s a delight! 

Ash

20 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

😬 I share your concern. Actually, the top side roundel went on quite nicely. I think with perseverance the result would be quite nice. 

Ray

Forewarned is forearmed I guess 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doccur said:

I am tentative about using these Eduard Decals however...

Treat them as normal decals.

That whole 'remove the film' bit is more a side-effect and it's not mentioned as such in the instructions after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the extra details you’re adding to the cockpit. I don’t have this kit, but is the landing light control which fits under the left side of the instrument panel included? This was quite prominent on early Spitfires. I also see that you have painted the ridged panels below the entry door ( they were actually covers for control lines ) in black and I’m not sure that this was the case on Mk1  Spitfires but as you say it’s a :worms:. A tip I picked up from another Eduard Spitfire build is that it’s easier to build up the multi-part under wing radiator on the wing rather than putting it together first, hope I’m not too late.

John

PS nearly forgot, but you’ve probably already picked it up from Ray’s build, the rivets from leading edge to main spar were filled and smoothed, like on a P-51.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

tip I picked up from another Eduard Spitfire build is that it’s easier to build up the multi-part under wing radiator on the wing rather than putting it together first

That's the way I've always built up the radiators on Eduard Spitfires. Less fiddly, and you can use the wing structure as a template to guide.

• Like 3