Supermarine Scimitar

Papa4ways

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if any of the Companies are still making a 1/48 scale model of the Supermarine Scimitar, I've got a good collection of Royal Navy Aircraft, all in 1/48 scale, the only ones missing, are the Scimitar and the Sea Venom, and I think it would be nice if I could complete the set

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi.

Drop Artie a line, they may be able to send you one, depending on their circumstances. If they can do it, be prepared to wait a little while for delivery, as Artie will explain.

It's a very nice resin kit.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/3171-artie/

Sometimes you might find a Dynavector vacform, but they are getting rare now.

The Dynavector vac kit is old but very buildable. I have it in my collection and cut and folded the wings, scratchbuilding the wingfold on it. If you can put your hands on it, its a good buy. 

The only other 1/48 scale Scimitar is the Scratchaeronautics resin kit from 2 years ago. I began building it last week. I am a slow builder, so I am still in the cleanup stage. It appears that the landing gear and a few other parts may have been molded using some of the white metal parts from the Dynavector kit, but in resin  they didnt fare as well. There is better overall surface detail in this kit, but also some lost detail due to bubbling and short shot parts. It will be a long term project... best of luck. I always loved the sleek lethal look of the Scimitar and wish someone would do it in styrene. 

Edited by FAAFAN
Misspellings
  • Like 1

If you are struggling with the kit wheels, it's worth knowing that the main wheels are the same as Sea Vixen, and that the nose wheel is very similar.   That then gives you very good aftermarket options to buy.

If you want inspiration for the Dynavector kit, see CJPs marvellous build thread here,

I thought the wheels looked very similar.  I built the Dynavector kit probably 15 years ago when it was truly the only game in town. There has never been a presence of the subject, which is a shame. If you go to Hyperscale, I posted my Scimitar and  Demon together (" Brothers from another mother?") about two weeks ago in plastic pics.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

If you are struggling with the kit wheels, it's worth knowing that the main wheels are the same as Sea Vixen, and that the nose wheel is very similar.   That then gives you very good aftermarket options to buy.

Interesting to know that so thanks. Shame the legs are not similar too because that's the bits which are the weakest link.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2020 at 00:52, bentwaters81tfw said:

Hi.

Drop Artie a line, they may be able to send you one, depending on their circumstances. If they can do it, be prepared to wait a little while for delivery, as Artie will explain.

It's a very nice resin kit.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/3171-artie/

Sometimes you might find a Dynavector vacform, but they are getting rare now.

One now on flea bay - no interest in the sale myself but thought to pass it on  

Same seller has a number of other Dynavector vacs up for sale too.