Jump to content

Operation Market Garden Tribute, 17th Sept. 1944


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking collection Tony they all look wonderful,  I particularly like the weathered invasion stripes on the C47

Great work 

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... I built that Dak for an article in MAM many moons ago!! I even got a letter from the pilot who flew it to Arnhem. saying he loved the model and the article,..... which was superb and very nice of him.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

An excellent collection of models. Beautiful plastic and paint work done there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an awesome parade of Allied hardware!

A brilliant tribute to a famous campaign.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Almost impossible to pick a favourite but, if I was forced to decide, it'd be the Stirling for me. 😬

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice collection Tony, my dads recollection of the Horsa, was not a very nice experience especially when they released it from the towing aircraft

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely work as ever Tony. That Albermarle's a bit special!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracking work Tony  A very nice collection. 
 

Will we be seeing you in the MTO GB soon?

 

James

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a brilliant line up & no better reason to display them. Think how many lives could have been saved if that bravery had translated into results. :(

Steve.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Richard Cawsey said:

All very well done. I presume the Tetrarch tank in the Hamilcar is a dummy, or it would not still be resting on its tailwheel. . .

It’s possibly a shade nose high, but the Hamilcar did sit like that with the Tetrarch (or M22 Locust) loaded. To unload, the pilot’s notes instruct the crew to first ‘raise the undercarriage’ by releasing the pressure in the oleo. This action lowered the fuselage onto its skids which also brought the tailwheel off the ground but only until the tank/load had been off loaded.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a lovely collection and a fitting tribute to those heroes. :)

I visited Hotel Hartenstein as an 8-year-old or something and was very moved. Later earned my own maron beret (in Sweden) so it lies close to my heart. Well done!

I

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Stirling really good...  I like the first shot of the C47 convert that to black and white would look like a war time photograph.

Thanks mate,..... do you really think so? 

 

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

An excellent collection of models. Beautiful plastic and paint work done there.

Thanks very much

 

11 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Most excellent work! :clap2:

Thanks, glad you like them.

 

11 hours ago, kapam said:

That's an awesome parade of Allied hardware!

A brilliant tribute to a famous campaign.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Almost impossible to pick a favourite but, if I was forced to decide, it'd be the Stirling for me. 😬

 

Thanks very much,..... I`m the same,..... but the Stirling is probably mine too,.... the real aircraft led the first re supply sortie to Arnhem,..... the one where Flt. Lt. Lord was shot down and earned his VC in a Dakota. It was flown by the Station Commander of RAF Rivenham, Wing Commander Wilfred Surplice DSO, DFC  and crewed by the senior men in their trades on the station, bombing leader, navigation leader etc,.....it was later lost over Norway and Surplice lost his life by remaining at the controls to allow the crew to jump clear. 

 

10 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Superb work, really superb,

 

Michael

Thanks Michael.

 

8 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Tony,

 

Beauty after beauty! Great work and a beautiful collection! Well done man! 

 

Best, 

Nikola

Cheers Nokola,.... that is very kind of you.

 

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

That's an outstanding collection, Tony. What was the Stirling like to build?

Thanks Vinnie,..... the Stirling was very easy for a 4 engined model,...... the panel lines are rather deep though.

 

6 hours ago, kev67 said:

Very nice collection Tony, my dads recollection of the Horsa, was not a very nice experience especially when they released it from the towing aircraft

Thanks Kev,...... you would not catch me in a Horsa mate,....... I preferred jumping out of an aircraft any day of the week and having spoken to many WW2 Airborne veterans,..... they always had massive respect for the glider men and they agreed with me,.... parachute every time. 

 

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

That's a great collection!

Thanks Ed,... very kind of you mate.

 

6 hours ago, Richard Cawsey said:

All very well done. I presume the Tetrarch tank in the Hamilcar is a dummy, or it would not still be resting on its tailwheel. . .

Thanks,..... although re the tank,..... it would have a job taking off with its nose digging into the ground. I`ve seen reference pics of Hamilcars with armour loaded like this, on the wheels,...... although the oleo`s were a bit more depressed than mine! 

 

5 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Hi Tony, I agree with Kapam- what a great tribute to the men that took part.  They all look very good but that Dakota looks very realistic.

Thanks Colin, very kind of you.

 

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work as ever Tony. That Albermarle's a bit special!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

Cheers Dunny,...... yeah I was very glad to add that Albemarle to the collection, ta! 

 

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Cracking work Tony  A very nice collection. 
 

Will we be seeing you in the MTO GB soon?

 

James

Thanks James,...... MTO GB,.... yes hopefully,.....be rude not to, but I`ll try not to take over this time LOL!!

 

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

What a brilliant line up & no better reason to display them. Think how many lives could have been saved if that bravery had translated into results. :(

Steve.

Thanks Steve,....... yes the blokes on the ground gave their all but I`m not sure those in charge of it all did. I have always been baffled why the 2nd TAF ws not used for close support of the blokes at Arnhem,...... turned out it was a squabble between Brereton and 2nd TAF,..... Brereton,..... who also vetoed two drops at Arnhem on the first day did not want 2nd TAF over his theatre of action,...... crazy,.... especially when the blokes at Arnhem were attacked regularly by German aircraft and German armour was allowed to move around in daylight with impunity!

 

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

What a wonderful tribute, excellent work And a great project !

 

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman,...... it has taken a fair few years and to be fair,..... I need to replace the Halifax with a more modern model!   

 

27 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

It’s possibly a shade nose high, but the Hamilcar did sit like that with the Tetrarch (or M22 Locust) loaded. To unload, the pilot’s notes instruct the crew to first ‘raise the undercarriage’ by releasing the pressure in the oleo. This action lowered the fuselage onto its skids which also brought the tailwheel off the ground but only until the tank/load had been off loaded.

Thanks Aeronut,.... much appreciated. 

 

23 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

What a lovely collection and a fitting tribute to those heroes. :)

I visited Hotel Hartenstein as an 8-year-old or something and was very moved. Later earned my own maron beret (in Sweden) so it lies close to my heart. Well done!

I

Thanks mate,.... and if you were an Airborne Medic,..... then hello,... so was I! Since watching the film A Bridge Too Far in 1977 as a 7 yr old I always wanted to be a paratrooper and I visited the Hartenstein in 1988 after jumping into Arnhem from a Hercules!  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

1988 is the year I visited Hartenstein Hotel! :D But no, I was not a medic - section leader7patrol leader. Medic (medicine) is what i do now. ;)

But still, cheers mate!

That is pretty cool though, getting to jump there in a Herky-bird. Love those. I only did a couple side dorr jumps, mostly over the back ramp. But that was fun.

 

I might watch A Bridge Too Far tonight and have an English ale. Cheers!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

All great work as always, Tony - my favourite thought is your Stirling.

 

Regards

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work on all of these, Tony!  And yes, it's the anniversary of this operation, I just realized, so this is very nicely timed.  I remember visiting the Hartenstein Hotel and walking the paras' perimeter almost 30 years ago now.  Amazing operation and a tremendous sacrifice of men and materiel.  

 

Prince Bernard of the Netherlands: "My country cannot afford another Montegomery 'success.'"  I did not know about the Brereton angle, but he is the same genius who helped lose us our air force in the Philippines in '41, depending on whom you choose to hold responsible (could also blame others!).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...