Marine Corsair

Luka

So it didn't become Streig's Navy Corsair OOB build after all, as I had to think way too long about the markings. Instead it became a VMF-114 machine based on Peleliu in 1944, while the airfield was still under enemy fire. In what is often described as the shortest bombing run in history, these planes took off from the runway, dropped bombs and napalm about a mile or two North of the airfield and turned back to land again, with the pilots rarely even bothering to raise their landing gear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,
Luka

Edited by Luka
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all!

17 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely job on the Corsair !  How was the build, I’ve got all three versions in stock ?

The build was OK, you have to take a bit of care when assembling the wing. You get two sets of cowling flaps with this one -open for taxiing, closed for flight- and the flaps in the taxiing position are not connected, so I filled the spaces in between with thin plastic strip. Also, looking at it now, I'm not entirely sold on the propeller type included in this kit. Just about all photos of Corsair props I could find seem have a blade shape that's wider near the tip, but these ones are broader at the base. Don't know about the 4-blade type though.