3 Corsairs, 2 NZ, 1 USMC.

rob85

Hi all, 

So these were started for the Corsair GB, I didn’t get them finished before it ended which was very frustrating. But life got in the way, as I’m sure it has been for most of you at the moment , it’s been a bit confusing what with the pandemic! I was furloughed so plenty of work was done on these and my two heavy bombers. I was then called back in to work at short notice, after 1 day I was put up for redundancy, then there was a full re structure, I wasn’t made redundant but another manager was and then the kids went back to school which has its own challenges. Work has been pretty intense but I have a job so I’m happy! 

I managed to get a few days off so got these three finished, they are not perfect, I had issues with spray paint in the build and the weathering hasn’t turned out how I would have liked. But I’ve learnt a lot, especially about mixing paints and mixing enough so you don’t end up with big differences (see canopy frames for more details!) but also just how to make the colours I’m looking for.

Anyway, the GB was excellent and a big thank you to @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @modelling minion for hosting it!

if you want to see the build thread it’s below

on to the pictures!

RNZAF Guadalcanal 1944

1/72 Revell (not a great kit, over engineered but the one piece upper cowl is good)

brush painted with tamiya (colours mixed by me)  white from a spray can.

weathering with pastels and tamiya weather pallet.

RW7vc2J.jpg
xlX8yFO.jpg

hRFhPFy.jpg
faF0a4n.jpg

0nQXwU1.jpg
aFGjiYc.jpg

RNZAF ‘Kathleen’, Iwakuni, Japan 1946.

tamiya 1/72 (best kit out the three, not without its little issue, but overall it’s a great build)

brush painted same as above and weathering the same, think I went too far with the fading which was inspired by pictures of these aircraft.

e9bJDFq.jpg
yEOEqZC.jpg

iiPyLou.jpg
pdlboVD.jpg

ht76vxs.jpg
bB7nlwZ.jpg

psUGTeJ.jpg
Centre line tank and rocket stubs added as per reference shots.

finally

USMC, K99 1944

academy 1/72 (an ok kit, short on detail but and easy build, engine is pants though) 

again brush painted with tamiya mixed by myself and then weathered with pastels and tamiya pallet.

wRG0XY0.jpg
I1fpNq1.jpg

1g98sPX.jpg
iii4veQ.jpg

Wheels a bit wonky

AtiwwAY.jpg

and then a family photo

ynA4Bn0.jpg

comments and criticism welcome, thanks for looking.

Rob

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Great looking Vought’s Rob. :thumbsup:

I wish they could've made it in the Gallery but truly understand that life is more important. I hope what time you did get at the bench was fun as ultimately thats what is most important. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Vought’s Rob. :thumbsup:

I wish they could've made it in the Gallery but truly understand that life is more important. I hope what time you did get at the bench was fun as ultimately thats what is most important. 

I’m gutted they missed the gallery, I could have rushed them but they had given me trouble due to rushing before so thought I would try and finish to the best standard I could. Thanks for the support!

11 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice looking builds!

Cheers, glad you like them

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see them finished Rob.

A shame they didn't make the gallery but we all know that real life comes first and I am glad that you carried on and finished them as they look really good.

Well done mate.

Cheers mate, and thanks for the support through the build and to both you and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for having such a great GB.

Rob

• Thanks 2

A great looking trio Rob, I like them a lot, especially the two Kiwi birds, both are on my to do list. The 1st one especially but maybe Kathleen too could use a bit less shine to my eyes, other than that they're pretty much spot on I reckon. I'm not seeing over weathering anywhere either. They were pretty care worn in service, except the Iwakuni based FG-1s, so don't dull that back too much, the overpainting of the original markings looks good to me.

Steve.

P.S I've just picked up a Tamiya F4U-1a from HLJ, I think this thread could have been instrumental in that. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lovely set of Corsairs, Rob! :clap: I really enjoyed the build too :thumbsup:

But you must do something for your photo backdrop, it detracts too much from the models.... :D 

How about trying with colored thin cardboard, like an A2 format? (that's what I do, a light blue normally suits well the need)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A great looking trio Rob, I like them a lot, especially the two Kiwi birds, both are on my to do list. The 1st one especially but maybe Kathleen too could use a bit less shine to my eyes, other than that they're pretty much spot on I reckon. I'm not seeing over weathering anywhere either. They were pretty care worn in service, except the Iwakuni based FG-1s, so don't dull that back too much, the overpainting of the original markings looks good to me.

Steve.

P.S I've just picked up a Tamiya F4U-1a from HLJ, I think this thread could have been instrumental in that. :D

Glad this has resulted in a worthwhile purchase!

thanks for the comments, really appreciate them! And 100% agree the shine needs reducing on the USMC and ‘cut and shut’ Kiwi. I think my issue was using gloss paint and the a good few cotes of aqua gloss. They have had 4 cotes of N&W matte varnish would you believe, but that shine doesn’t want to go! I did think about a spray can varnish so as not to destroy the water based pastels, but have had pretty poor results with sprays! Maybe I need an airbrush 😱 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Lovely set of Corsairs, Rob! :clap: I really enjoyed the build too :thumbsup:

But you must do something for your photo backdrop, it detracts too much from the models.... :D 

How about trying with colored thin cardboard, like an A2 format? (that's what I do, a light blue normally suits well the need)

Ciao

Cheers Giemme, glad you enjoyed it! 

yeah your right a marble table cloth with thin tissue paper isn’t quite cutting it! I will get down to Hobbycraft. 

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely looking trio, you can’t really over-weather a wartime NZ Corsair !

Wulfman

That is true looking at reference pictures they do look very well used! Cheers for the comments

Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful trio Rob!

Very kind of you Cookie 

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

This is a superb set of Corsairs! Inspires to look close at this very interesting aircraft.

Glad to inspire someone to look into Corsair’s and they are very much worth it! Great aircraft and they come in all the colours you want.... but mainly blue...

Rob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I will wait until the spring before proposing the next STGB for these. But rest assured I will propose it. 

I have no doubt you will... pop me straight on the list will you, I don’t have one in EDSG/SG!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Greg Law said:

excellent project and well done 👍

My Uncle flew these in the Pacific about that time period. 

Cheers Greg! that must be great to have such a link to an aircraft and it’s history, I hope he was ok?!

consider these dedicated to his service and all that served on them! The Pacific theatre is all too often overlooked.

4 hours ago, Sluffer77 said:

Nice trio Rob 👍

thanks, glad you like them!

Rob

On 9/18/2020 at 4:21 PM, F-32 said:

Awesome triple build, really nice work

Far too kind, but thank you

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a great Trio, they look gorgeous especially with roundels, great work

Chris

Again too kind but thank you. I do love seeing them in different marking but as I didn’t have a classic American Corsair it had to be done. That’s 4 corsairs in the cabinet now.

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 1