DH 80A Puss Moth G-AHLO

Paul J

Hi.

The second most recent model completed.   This time its the AVI kit of the DH Puss Moth. Nice simple little kit but the worst part of it I found is the flat sided too narrow and slim engine cowls. Looks horridly skinny!!!  I fixed this by cutting to outline shape a couple pieces of plastic card glued to to the existing engine and filing down upper , lower and forward edges of the card to achieve the characteristic curve of the original. Blended in with a smear of filler did the job.  To highlight the opening sections of the covers I applied very thin black  pin stripe decals and for the upper hinge line a silver stripe decal piece. All the canopy framing was also done in silver decal stripes.  The kit decals looked thick on the sheet but when applied and 'decal solutioned' the carrier film just melted away. The only decal item I did not use was the tiny  decal in red for the fin which was supposed to be the Tiger Club emblem which is totally wrong and should be yellow and black.  I think somewhere I may have a pair from my decal spares.  The struttery was a little fiddly but it all worked out OK.

83XuLu.jpg

xv2pA4.jpg

63uoft.jpg

The wing reggie decals were applied before fixin the wings in place. A lot easier and less stressful than trying to wiggle them past the struts and getting damaged!
lLSLOg.jpg

By the way, the cabin doors need to be depicted too as nothing on the mouldings show these. I simply scored in the outline of the doors with a straight edge and sharp pointy blade taking the shape from photos and the box art
aizSdc.jpg

eLXD3s.jpg

Just looking back at this one, I could or should have done something about the oil tank on this left side nose.  It is poor the way it has been depicted alongside the aforementioned flat engine panels.  But, I may give it ago if I come across someay of doing it.
aANYza.jpg

Incidentally, the full size rael G-AHLO is now in Canada on display at the Canadian Air and Space Museum Rockliffe, Ottawa. It is finished in red fuselage silver wings and registered as CF-PEI.

All I would like to see now are kits of the DH 87 Hornet Moth in two versions with pointy wings and squared off wings, and DH 85 Leopard Moth........

Edited by Paul J
Additional text added
  • Like 25

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Paul that is lovely   great work.  I have one yo do as the Australian mail plane and I have picked it up several times thinking there was something not quite right and now you gave said that it makes sense thank you.

Chris

Cheers Chris.

The engine improvement was quite simple to do. Just cut a piece of plastic card of about 30 thou I think, to fit the side panels and with the curve trailing edge. The top, bottom and front edges edges can then be carefully filed down with such a motion to get the curved bulge shape about right.( to give it that 'hamster cheek' look) then a smear of filler to finish to your needs . The oil tank on the left side also needs ' beefing' up a bit but I neglected to do that and will possibly go back to it and have a go. However one chooses to tackle the skinny engine it will be a huge improvement to the kit.  And don't forget to indicate the cabin doors!

• Thanks 1

That's a hansom looking aeroplane with a purposeful look about it. I think you've done a fine job with this Paul. It's lovely to see some classic and quaint British designs of this era in replicated 1/72 scale. 

• Like 1